Solace in the Snow Fog [Psych Horror, Mystery, Love Story]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

Solace in the Snow Fog [Psych Horror, Mystery, Love Story]

#1 Post by Coren »

Solace in the Snow Fog is a game idea that was created for the purpose of charity. Unlike the other games, this one will be commercial, and will be Kickstarted somewhere in November-December 2013. 30% of all proceeds (TBA) will go towards charities helping children from destitute areas in Cambodia and other third-world countries to live proper lives and get a proper education instead of being sold as slaves, or even into the sex industry. This will also be one of the vital themes in the story of Solace in the Snow Fog. The project is still in its early stages as of now, but I truly hope you guys will be able to stick around till December, to support this project and these children who need help.
summerbreeze.png
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Eight years ago, a brutal murder occurred that shook the entire town. The case was closed after the arrest of the culprit, but it was not the end.

Eight years later, a mysterious young girl with no name or past stumbles into the town, determined to find out the truth - from the five teenagers who each held a mysterious link to the case, who each hid a secret...

Solace in the Snow Fog is a murder mystery, horror, psychological game about human hope and despair. It is an interactive story with multiple "routes" and endings, with some dating sim elements as well.

Prelude
Humans torture each other, sell out one another - and call it "love".

In the desolate, grimy 1980s, the owner of a rich mansion – Horace Yew – was brutally murdered. A cryptic message was left behind, signed with the name of the man’s long-deceased mistress, “Sophie” – describing the murder in frightfully gory detail. Public uproar – upon further investigation, Yew’s current lover, Madam Yao Meixi, was arrested. Throughout all her interrogations, the only line she screamed hysterically, over and over, was- “I did it – but it wasn’t me – It was Sophie – her ghost – in my body-!”

Nevertheless, anything supernatural such as "ghostly possession by a malevolent spirit" was not to be accepted as testimony. Five years later, Madam Yao died in jail, and the case was closed for good.

Yet, a boy sat in the middle of his study-room, watching his time aimlessly fading away. A girl played baroque on the piano, her back rigid and poised. Two young men, haunted repeatedly by visions, sights and voices – and a young woman, lying on a hospital bed, staring at the ceiling – perhaps neither really dead or really alive.

It was not the end.

Story
One case, imprinted on history. One murderer, brought to the gallows.

Five children lay in the ashes, their lives destroyed.

Haunted by strange nightmares of a woman named “Sophie” for years, a mysterious young girl with no name or identity entered the town where Horace Yew was murdered eight years ago – armed with an oddly detailed notebook belonging to the late detective who had worked on that borderline-supernatural case. In this new town, she met the five teenagers who were all involved in that case in some way or another. All of them were children back then, the day when they lost everything. Each of them had a deep scar engraved on their hearts that could never mend.

Then, a series of brutal killings and other crimes began once again – crimes which the girl was certain were linked to the case which began it all. And she is now determined to get close to each of these five very different youngsters, who could know more than they are letting on – and through this, finally get to the heart of the case from eight years ago…

Characters

Each of these characters are hiding a secret. Each of them have something to hide.

Yes, even you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

???
The mysterious protagonist.
The protagonist – a quiet, stoic 17-year-old young woman who has a strange, obsessed fascination with the case of Horace Yew’s murder. Her real name is unknown, but she adopts the alias “Hina Faren” (which is changeable in-game).

Larsen Yew
"Please, sir... Please catch my father's murderer."
The victim’s son.

The only son of the victim – Larsen Yew is a co-worker from Hina’s part-time job.

Chunqian Rosewood
"My mother... are you going to kill her? Is she going to die?"
The murderer’s daughter.
ImageImage
Latest Concept
The daughter of the single mother, Madam Yao, who was arrested for the murder of Horace Yew. Yao Chunqian has ever since been adopted by the Rosewood family. Hina is her classmate at school.

Kyle Faren
"What I said... was a lie. Please revoke my earlier testimony."
A prime witness – the boy who found the body of the deceased.

Kyle is the nephew of Hina’s current guardian, who views her with a slightly suspicious eye. Back then, he was the unfortunate child who had stumbled upon Horace Yew’s mangled body and alerted the police – at the age of 10.

Soren von Wurzstein
"It sounded like a woman... no... a monster."
A prime witness – the boy who was there, and heard it all.

Soren is the heir of the von Wurzstein family, an accomplished few with a rich heritage. Nevertheless, he got himself tangled in that case at the age of 13, where he became the main witness for the murder case for being there when the murder occurred.

Shinozuki Fuuka
"Is Uncle Horace really dead? ... I knew it."
The victim’s niece.

Rough Concept
A cheerful, quirky girl and the cousin of Larsen Yew, Fuuka nevertheless suffered greatly from the cruel death of his uncle, upon which her fragile family was thrown into complete disarray.

Features
* 6 Routes

More updates will be posted soon – stay tuned!
Last edited by Coren on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 17 times in total.

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

Re: Solace in the Snow Fog [Psych Horror, Mystery, Love Stor

#2 Post by ebi brain »

Did somebody turn down the heater, or what?

I seriously got goosebumps just reading that.

Not sure if this was the intended effect but...
I have a feeling that the creep factor will be really high in this game.

I was reading this last night, and actually couldn't reply because I was so freaked out. Hah. Then again I'm an absolute wuss.

I think you did a really good job on your opening post. I can't really say much more other than that I think it's really noble of you to make this a charity project.

If I have cash to spare around the time the game gets out, I'll definitely support this.

I wish you all the best with this game.
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo

#3 Post by Coren »

Thank you! :) Yes, there's a horror element to this game - but it's not very supernaturally inclined. Naturally, a ghost isn't really behind all this.

To fatten up this thread just a little, I think I'll start making more concept sketches for each of the characters that aren't horrendously ugly. ^^;

I'm still a bit nervous about all this because I'm not sure how many people will be interested. There will be some GxB and GxG elements to the game, but it won't be exceedingly romantic like what people generally expect of otome games out there, not to mention there will be some focus on romance between other characters as well, and so I'm not sure about whether or not I should add the GxB/GxG tag.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#4 Post by Coren »

Here's a sketch of the unknown protagonist:

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#5 Post by enta »

I'm really curious on what lies behind the reasons the heroine is keeping her name in secret and why her right eyes have patch on it :wink:

Good luck! >.<

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#6 Post by Coren »

Thanks! :) I coloured her concept and posted it.

Yep, you'll get to find out in-game. ;) The six main characters, including the protagonist, are all equally mysterious and linked to the case in their own ways. I'll update their concepts soon.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#7 Post by Coren »

Another portrait, this time of Chunqian Rosewood - the murderer's daughter!

deviltales
Regular

#8 Post by deviltales »

your art is really pretty! keep on with this one :D !
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#9 Post by Coren »

deviltales wrote:your art is really pretty! keep on with this one :D !
Thank you! :) I'm hoping to be able to hire a professional artist for the art, but that's only if I can raise the money this December.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#10 Post by Coren »

I finished a sprite for Chunqian's minor appearance in Crimson Rafflesia, and may be using this as Chunqian's child sprite in Solace as well:

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#11 Post by Ran08 »

Waaaaah, your art is amazing you know. :3

I'm just so in love with this! Hahaha. The story seems so interesting. And though I know it's commercial, I'd definitely love to play it.

Goodluck on this! ^^

Manga
Regular

#12 Post by Manga »

It was not the end.
Yeah, but if it did end during the prelude, imagine everyone's shock! What a twist!

Liking the artwork, and the plot is intruiging. I suppose giving money to charity is also a nice thing.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#13 Post by Coren »

Thanks, guys. :) Here's a wip of Larsen Yew's sprite when he was eight. He looks more moe than I expected him to.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#14 Post by Coren »

A temporary sprite for the victim's son, Larsen:

Ramunai
Regular
Projects: Love Target!

#15 Post by Ramunai »

I am very interested in this game :o Sounds so intriguing!
Will definitely be watching this thread~ Good luck in the progress of creating this game~! :D