Cancer [Otome|Psychological|Drama|Commercial] + Survey!

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

Cancer [Otome|Psychological|Drama|Commercial] + Survey!

#1 Post by Rozume »

+++The Story
All Juliette Yu wants is a normal life, laughing and hanging out with her friends, with none of this "group therapy" business. After all, she doesn't really need it; isn't being admitted to a psychiatric hospital enough? Apparently not, if they're making her go to this program. Oh well, it's not like she'll do anything there anyway.

But when she starts seeing things that aren't there and hearing strange voices in her head constantly, maybe she should get help after all...

Not professionally, of course.

+++The Main Character

+++Juliette Yu

She's not bipolar. She not psychotic. She's not whatever-those-psychiatrists-and-therapists-tell-her. She's just another girl who happened to try to jump out of a window because sudden voices in her head told her to. There's nothing wrong with her, and if there is she can handle it on her own. Much like how her dad used to handle himself. Oh, and speaking of her dad... don't mention her dad's death. Ever.

+++"Romanceable" Characters

+++Brandon "Kenzie" McKenzie

Juliette's childhood friend and strongest confidant. Juliette always asks for his advice when she needs it and he always delivers. As expected from someone who runs his own advice column in his school newspaper! But don't tell anyone that, or else he'll have to deal with more annoying people and their problems...

+++Junichi Ishikawa/James Ishikawa

Also known as Ishikawa. He goes to the same therapy program as Juliette for substance abuse and anxiety disorder. He likes to annoy the other patients in the program, especially Juliette, and focuses on her treatment more than his own. Sure, he wants to get out of the program like everyone else, but he also wants to leave his household, and that's not happening soon.

+++Leigh Thompson
Kinda spacey. Goes on long tangents about particularly nothing from time to time. And very long walks in the park. Absolutely, totally, 100% dense; Juliette has a major crush on him and he's not likely to notice, despite her constant hints. He currently lives with the Senator's family - his uncle, aunt, and cousin - because his dad died and his mom... well... let's not talk about her...

+++Jane Wagner

The Senator's daughter and Juliette's best friend. She loves haute couture and throwing parties when her parents are away. Being the Senator's daughter, it would seem far-fetched that she would become friends with a nobody like Juliette, right? Well, one day, Leigh dragged her to the mall and she met Juliette, where they sorta clicked. Now they're best friends! Juliette does all the stuff Jane asks of her like her homework and cleaning after her parties... that's what best friends do, right??

+++Rodney Rodriguez
The star quarterback of Metro City High School. A superb honor roll student. Rodney is born to make his parents proud. There's just one thing that he and his parents aren't so proud of... and that's his explosive temper. After being fed up with his constantly breaking stuff in the house, his parents sends him to therapy where he'll learn to manage his anger. Unfortunately for him, he has a hard time learning anything except for the fact that he hates Ishikawa with a passion and he's way too invested in the life of Juliette...

+++Features
-Story-based Visual Novel
-Partially Voiced
-Interactive Map
-Original Sprites, CGs, BGs, and Soundtrack
-1280 x 720 screen resolution
-16+ Rating (for some suggestive themes, serious themes, drug use, etc.)

+++Author's Notes

If the character's seem familiar to you, that's because I sort of "recycled" some of my characters from Designer+ ... or rather, I reworked the story line into this (please don't ask me how to got fashion obsessed teenager wanting to get her grades up to a mentally ill teenager not wanting to go to therapy. it just happened). Right now, I'm working on making a Character/Story bible for my VN and writing down all the character profiles. As for the art, I'm mainly working on concept art. I haven't even touched programming yet, although I played in Ren'py once or twice.

As you can guess, I'm the main writer, artist, programmer for this project... and it's rather difficult because I'm juggling everything at once. ^^; I do have an Assistant Writer though, but she doesn't do much because I don't have much to give her. ._.;

+++Survey
1. What do you think about having romantic elements in a game where the main character seeks psychological help? Even if it's a side thing?

2. Speaking of romance, there are unhealthy relationships portrayed in a negative light and the player has a choice on whether or not to call out the love interests for their behavior. This is not a question, but I'm just stating this.

3. Anyway, whose route would you go for first? Whose route would you go for last?

4. What do you think about voiced and animated hallucinations?

5. What do you think about an otome game where the main character (and a couple of love interests) is mentally ill anyway?

6. I've decided to make this game commercial. How much would you be willing to pay for this game?

7. Would you play this game? Honestly? Forrealzies?

+++Updates
9/24/13 small update: Kenzie's concept art added. Will add more characters as I go.
9/28/13: Fixed some of the language.
10/11/13: New Concept Art; All Character Art up
10/26/13: New character added - Rodney Rodriguez!
12/31/13: Changed the summary. Added a Survey. Announced that this game will be commercial.
Last edited by Rozume on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: Cancer [Otome|Psychological|Free]

#2 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Juliette is super pretty :)
i'll cry if you yell at me

Rozume
Veteran

#3 Post by Rozume »

silverpikachu99 wrote:Juliette is super pretty :)
I'm glad you think so! ^^; I came went over several designs and changed several art styles and this is what I came up with. 8D

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#4 Post by Haze »

As interesting as this sounds, I can't help but wonder: could being in a relationship possibly slow down Juliette's recovery? I mean, trying to focus on dating means possibly not focusing on getting help/therapy...Sorry if this sounds negative, it's just what entered my mind.

Also, I've got to agree with silverpikachu99; your art is really nice! I'm pretty curious about why this game is called "Cancer" when it's about a girl getting psychological help, though...is that something that will be revealed in the story?
As you can guess, I'm the main writer, artist, programmer for this project... and it's rather difficult because I'm juggling everything at once.
Hmm...maybe you should get some help from the recruitment forum? Also, I noticed that you said you want to have an original soundtrack; maybe if making the music/hiring a musician is too much trouble, you could just use free music.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Rozume
Veteran

#5 Post by Rozume »

@Haze

Don't be sorry; that's some pretty valid criticism! I should've made it clear that Juliette seeks help from the characters listed above and romance can happen depending on the choices you make. There's a romance and friendship route for each pursuable character, and of course Juliette's own routes. n_n

The game's title will be something revealed in the story... sorta. You just have to think about it. ^^

Thank you for the compliment! I really want to make sure this game is aesthetically pleasing as possible. I'll definitely consider recruiting some people when I make some more progress on it.

Kyra10
Regular
Projects: My Heart's Flame
Organization: Amaraluna: Otome Game Productions

#6 Post by Kyra10 »

This looks really interesting, and the art is fantastic as well! ^_^

hikaa212
Regular
Projects: Distant Dream

#7 Post by hikaa212 »

this looks interesting, will be keeping a track on this :D ~
"I hope that all of the choices I've made while wandering through the darkness might give everyone a ray of Light." - Kotarou Tennouji, Rewrite.

tumblr | a blog about games
I'm useless, haha.

Rozume
Veteran

#8 Post by Rozume »

@Kyra10
Thank you!!

@hikaa212
Thank you for your interest!

I just finished some art of Ishikawa, but he turned out too small so I'm not going to post him in the line up. DDDDD:

Rozume
Veteran

#9 Post by Rozume »

I hate to bump this up but I like to inform everybody that I added new concept art to the original post. Now you can see what everyone looks like. :D In the future, I might even add some designs to minor characters. ^^;

Also, I want to clarify that the main focus of the game is Juliette getting psychological help. There just happens to be romance which may or may not affect her progress.

Speaking of progress, my co-writer and I are doing tons of research for the game this month. By November we start writing and, by December, we start editing and tightening the script. Then the following year we'll focus on art, coding, music, etc. c:

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#10 Post by silverpikachu99 »

GAHH!! Ishikawa is the definition of kawaii~!!!!!!! Can't wait!
i'll cry if you yell at me

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#11 Post by Haze »

The concept art looks great! Keep up the good work! :D
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Rozume
Veteran

#12 Post by Rozume »

Good news! A new romanceable character will be added!

Meet Rodney Rodriguez! The star quarterback of his school and perfect honor roll student. He goes to Juliette's therapy program for anger management issues and dreads every second of it.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#13 Post by Katta »

Wow, this guy's super cool!

Rozume
Veteran

#14 Post by Rozume »

@Katta

I'm glad you think so! :D

Rozume
Veteran

Re: Cancer [Otome|Psychological|Drama|Commercial] + Survey!

#15 Post by Rozume »

It's been awhile since I updated this thead...

Anyway, a major change is that I've decided to make this game commercial (sorry folks for saying it was free before)! I've just thought about it the scope and production of the game and decided it was best. That being said, I'll make sure everything's top notch for a commercial release! :D

Another thing I want to add is that I'm going to be making it partially voiced... but it won't be the characters that will be voiced. xD

Thirdly, I changed the summary a bit and added a survey! I'd love to hear all of your opinions!