You'll Hear My Voice Someday [BxG][Vocaloid] UPDATE #4

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
weetabix
Completed: RenPSP Visual Novel Engine Clone
Projects: RenPSP, You'll Hear My Voice Someday
Organization: New Forte Visual Novel Works
Tumblr: weetabixsu
Github: weetabix-su
Soundcloud: deej-weetabix
itch: weetabix

You'll Hear My Voice Someday [BxG][Vocaloid] UPDATE #4

#1 Post by weetabix »

Hey guys! I've been recruited by a group of Vocaloid enthusiasts called New Forte. Although they produce music and PVs, the head producer brought up the idea of making a visual novel based on a Vocaloid fanfic he wrote.

So without further ado, I present to you our first visual novel: You'll Hear My Voice Someday
Illustration: daniwae

From left: Yuriko Okade, Eiji Matsushita, Kenta Yamada, Miku Hatsune, Len Kagamine. Illustration: Taiga Katsuyama

DOWNLOAD PRE-ALPHA HERE! newfortecircle.neocities.org

PLOT:
Meet Kenta Yamada: a typical high school transferee who lives in his own apartment. He faces his first day in high spirits, knowing that his new school will bring forth wonderful memories. However, being a complete stranger to the campus meant that his goal is far from reachable. His assumptions of a bright future in the campus grew when he met a girl named Miku Hatsune: a classmate who spends most of her time peering at the window beside her. Among the girls in his class, Kenta felt something so different about Miku that he fancied her a lot. Although their relationship grew as the school days pass, will it all turn out okay in the end?

CHARACTERS:
Lineart: Taiga Katsuyama

Kenta Yamada
He is an average guy who lived in a small city and moved to a far city from his hometown for his studies. He has some troubles with how he reacts to things and sometimes he overreacts. He has no particular hobby, but to sleep or read some books, manga, magazines or something just to kill time. He usually gets bored and if he’s getting too bored he just usually go outside for a stroll. He gets very curious to a thing that is new to him or strange. He wanted to know as much of it as long as it took his interest.

Miku Hatsune
Our silent girl in the story. She loves reading poem for her past time. Usually goes on the roof to read the poems she buy in the bookstore. She is shy though when she gets interested to someone, she’ll force herself to make friends with him/her. She was a loner back then during her elementary days. People usually avoid her because they couldn’t communicate with her very well. Either they are not comfortable with her or just really doesn’t like to be with her. She is not in favor in music. She would like to avoid stuffs about music if possible.

Eiji Matsushita
Our average energetic guy who played guitar since he was in his junior high. He doesn’t study that much, but instead play video games or play the guitar. He never ran out of gas as long as he likes what he’s doing, but he’s worn out once he doesn’t like it (especially studying). He always get below average grades, but who cares as long as he doesn’t fail? He is Yuriko Okade’s childhood friend since kindergarten. They were always together until they separated on their junior high and meet again on their senior high.

Yuriko Okade
One of the smartest students in their Senior high. Playful at times, but when she gets serious, you can’t bring up a joke or else she might snap. She doesn’t look like it, but she likes reading books. Her favorite genres are Drama and Romance. She is a working student. She wanted to experience different kind of jobs that’s why she didn’t stay on one job. She also likes to walk around and look at things which are cute or small. Eiji Matsushita’s childhood friend since kindergarten. During their Junior high, she moved to a different school which made them unable to meet frequently.

Len Kagamine
He is the president and the vocalist of the music club where all of the seniors already graduated. In his early years, he excelled much in his studies which made him become a senior high student at a very young age. He is already in his second year with his friends in his club. He likes playing video games mainly rhythm games.

Iroha Nekomura
A Sophomore who is a member in the Art Club. She loves cats and paintings. Most of her time she draws or paints when she feels something she wanted to express. She rarely shows up in the club room and usually don’t talk too much to any person. She likes to be alone and draw something she feels like drawing. In her life in her senior high she was bullied and a lot of people don’t like her or afraid of her. She was once accused of something bad which made her friends lost their trust.

Shin Matabe
Half Japanese, half German. Being the only son, his mother, who is a native German let him study Arts and Japanese courses in Europe. He was taught in a strict and disciplined environment which made him as elegant as ever. Since he was in Europe all this time with the hands of his mother, his father, who is a native Japanese wanted him to study in Japan for his Senior High. Being said, he transferred in a school where his father thinks best for him to improve his Arts.
BONUS:
Eiji & Yuriko alternate illustration by Taiga Katsuyama

Miku event illustrations by daniwae

The progress so far...
1. The script for the Miku route is complete. Our writer/composer is still writing the other routes and making adjustments to the existing one as of this moment.
2. FIVE ARTISTS (yes, five) are working on the game's illustrations.
3. Our writer announced to add Len Kagamine, Iroha Nekomura, and Kagamine Rin to the cast. More info will be added later on.
4. Event graphics and backgrounds are in the works!
5. Our writer/composer is currently working on the novel's BGM. Click here to view all work-in-progress music!
UPDATE #4 6. OUR PRE-ALPHA TEASER IS OUT! CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD!

Head down to our Facebook page, blog, or Trello board for more project updates.

If you have any comments or suggestions, like "why is our pre-alpha up to chapter 1" or "when is the new release date" or anything else, feel free to reply. Thanks~! :)
Last edited by weetabix on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Image Image

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: You'll Hear My Voice Someday [BxG][Slife|Romance|Vocaloi

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

In your story, is Miku a normal human?

Also, will any other Vocaloid characters appear?

You said this story is based on a fanfic. For what it's worth, there's a Madoka Magica fanfic with branching paths (in other words, a gamebook or a CYOA) that's been partly adapted into a visual novel.

weetabix

Re: You'll Hear My Voice Someday [BxG][Slife|Romance|Vocaloi

#3 Post by weetabix »

gekiganwing wrote:In your story, is Miku a normal human?
Yes. She will be human in this visual novel.
gekiganwing wrote:Also, will any other Vocaloid characters appear?
I have yet to discuss this further with the writer, but the addition of other Vocaloids has been considered.
gekiganwing wrote:You said this story is based on a fanfic. For what it's worth, there's a Madoka Magica fanfic with branching paths (in other words, a gamebook or a CYOA) that's been partly adapted into a visual novel.
It's not a CYOA. Only the "Miku route" and the "prologue" was based on the fanfic of the same title which the writer originally made for a school composition project.
Image Image

weetabix

Re: You'll Hear My Voice Someday [BxG][Vocaloid] UPDATE #1

#4 Post by weetabix »

UPDATE #1

1. Another Vocaloid has been added to the cast!
Illustration: Taiga Katsuyama

Our writer in New Forte has decided to add Len Kagamine in the cast of the VN. Len is shortly described as the "main vocalist for the school's music club" for now, but more info about him will be added as the script progresses.

2. (SPOILER ALERT!) A draft of the game's main menu

I must admit that it's a tad bit ambitious, but it's possible. Proposed screen resolutions are 1280x720 and 960x720, though I am personally considering a resolution in the conventional 800x600. If you have any comments or suggestions regarding this, please drop a reply.

(...and yes, I persuaded the guy who made this to remove the obvious 'special route' selection.)

3. We still haven't thought of a shorter name for our game.
I really need your opinion on this. We have plans to release the game with Japanese translations and vocals (though not sure if we should release English vocals as well), and for that we need our name translated to Japanese. According to our in-house translator, "You'll Hear My Voice Someday" would translate as いつの日か、あなたは私の声を聞くでしょう (Itsu no Hi ka, Anata wa Watashi no Koe wo Kikudeshou).

To ease in remembering the game's title, we came up with shortened titles (a la Oreimo or Watamote, as our writer described):
1. いつあな (Itsuana)
2. いつわた (Itsuwata)
3. いつこえ (Itsukoe); and
4. いつきく (Itsukiku)

If you can suggest a better Japanese title (and/or a shortened title) for the game, please drop a reply in this thread. Thank you~! :D
Image Image

ozzytizer

#5 Post by ozzytizer »

So I'm about to sleep, but I wanted to post a possible short translation that either A. might work or B. might give someone an idea to move it in a better direction:
いつか声が聞こえます (itsuka koe ga kikoemasu). Pronouns are not heavily used in Japanese and can often be omitted as long as the context allows it. Could keep the 私 in maybe for that purpose, but not sure about using あなた in a title like that. Not 100% on that conjugation of the verb, need to double check that form. Also I'm not sure if いつの日か or いつか are completely interchangeable, いつか being "sometime", which can be used as a "someday" but if the day part is really vital then I guess it would need to stay? Not 100%, but those are my thoughts, and maybe someone can take that in a more accurate/useful direction.

Rhuby

#6 Post by Rhuby »

Uwah, a game with Vocaloid... This looks interesting.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this one. Good luck!~ ❣◕ ‿ ◕❣

weetabix

Re: You'll Hear My Voice Someday [BxG][Vocaloid] UPDATE #2

#7 Post by weetabix »

UPDATE #2

1. Two Vocaloids have been added to the cast!

Kyriuki, our writer and project head in New Forte, has confirmed that he will add Iroha Nekomura and Rin Kagamine in the VN. Iroha will be a member of the art club where Kenta (MC) will be in. In the end of her troubles, she will be good friends with Kenta and the others. On the other hand, Rin will only make a short appearance in the game.
In the true end route, Len and his band will be performing at the beach and Rin will appear during their performance.
(Also, both of our character illustrators -- Meiji and Taiga -- are in a pickle right now, so no character design drafts are present as of this time.)

2. More UI drafts!

3. Music, backgrounds, and event illustrations are in the works!

New Forte project head Kyriuki will also be in charge of BGMs and SFXes. Click here to preview the music that will appear in the game.
Our resident illustrator, daniwae, will be in charge of the backgrounds and event illustrations.

4. We have a release date!

We have projected that the visual novel will be completed sometime in July 2014. In addition, we have plans to release our first OST album featuring songs and BGMs from the game.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please drop a reply in this thread. Thank you~! :D
Image Image

weetabix

Re: You'll Hear My Voice Someday [BxG][Vocaloid] UPDATE #3

#8 Post by weetabix »

UPDATE #3

1. A little bit of progress: new character and designs

The past two months have been really slow. With the Winter break and our personal workloads clogging up our schedules (FYI: most of us in this team are either in High School or College), we didn't have time to work on the visual novel. Despite that, some of our active members did come up with something. Something like...

A NEW CHARACTER!
Illustration: Meiji

Meet Shin Matabe. Among the many members of the art club, the president (that's him) envies Iroha Nekomura the most. Because of this, he has devised a ploy to manipulate the art club members to destroy him in every humanly way possible.

Plus, we also have NEW CHARACTER DESIGNS! (or design)
Illustration: Meiji

Here's the Iroha Nekomura design I promised, made by our artist Meiji.

MORE STUFF
School Hallway Background concept

Ren'Py-rendered Main Menu concept

2. NEW FORTE IS RECRUITING VISUAL ARTISTS

You may have noticed that two of our artists went AWOL in the past update. Fast forward to today, and two artists -- specifically, Taiga and daniwae -- went on hiatus for reasons that cannot be disclosed to the public. In light of this crisis, we've set up a recruitment post on our brand new blog.

"But wait a second, what about Meiji?"
You're right, we do have Meiji to do character designs in the absence of Taiga.
But as you may notice, all his designs are made with pencil and paper. We still have to go through the process of translating Meiji's designs to a digital format.
"So, what are you looking for specifically?"
Kyriuki suggests we focus on looking for illustrators for the backgrounds. I, on the other hand, am itching for someone to do the user interface design work. However, you can still sign up even if you're more into doing character sprites and event illustrations.

"Is there a catch?"
Yes. Two, to be exact.
1. You must be a Vocaloid fan. This is mandatory. Kyriuki and I had to open a trap door because one of our potential recruits didn't fit this requirement.
2. The work that you'll be doing for the project will be for FREE. We insist that the visual novel project's budget shall be kept at zero dinero.

"Splendid! Where do I sign up?"
Click on these blue words and be teleported to a land of possibilities~ wooooooo~

Got any questions to fire at us? (I'm pretty sure you do) Feel free to leave a reply and I'll make sure to attend to it hastily. Thank you~! :D
Image Image

snowflakes
Regular
Projects: Improve my art
Deviantart: vychi

#9 Post by snowflakes »

Whereeeeeeeeeee's Megpoid Gumi? TT-TT
Looking forward to this project!

weetabix

#10 Post by weetabix »

snowflakes wrote:Whereeeeeeeeeee's Megpoid Gumi? TT-TT
Looking forward to this project!
Thanks! I'll try and nag the writer to include her.
Image Image

weetabix

Re: You'll Hear My Voice Someday [BxG][Vocaloid] UPDATE #4

#11 Post by weetabix »

UPDATE #4

1. WE'VE MADE PRE-ALPHA DEMOS!

Most of our time spent this year was consumed by personal stuff, but that didn't stop us from making a bit of work with this VN. We released two pre-alpha builds of our game to the public and one of them is available online.

Those of you who visited conventions held in Manila, Philippines may have seen one of these two covers distributed freely:

Image Image

The dominantly-black one is our first public pre-alpha build distributed in Ozine Fest held last April 2014. The dominantly-white one is our second public pre-alpha build distributed in Cosplay Mania held last October 2014 (and also available online for download). Both featured the first chapter, with placeholder graphics and sprites. The only difference between the two is the new main menu screen and the sample music in the second build.

However, a more recent developer build suggests an updated sprite set and character side images.

2. Shooting for the stars (and possibly hitting a few of them)

Truth be told: we're quite an ambitious art circle. During the year, we've had tons of ideas flowing out for the VN, like including Japanese dubs in the final version and making neat in-game animations in between. As of right now, we're making a teaser video for the visual novel project (storyboard posted above) with a release date to be announced.

In addition to that, our head writer proposed including blinking and breathing animations for each of the characters (which, I believe, is rarely seen in a project like this). A WIP sample is yet to be released some time later.

Anyways, that's all for now. If you do want to hit us up, go to our Facebook page, our Twitter account, or just reply to this thread. Thanks!
Image Image