Theo [working on alpha v.2]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

Re: Theo [survival, dystopian]

#16 Post by Reikun »

@akemicchi, Googaboga; Thanks for the feedback guys ;0; For the logo I'm gonna have to work on the colors a lot more, but I'll save it for later. I ended up going back to the drawing board as far as the coloring style went OTL Neither was sitting too well with me so I'll try again with something else later.

For the different lettercase for CLiOSTRATOS/Cliostratos I decided to do a mock up of what I meant by it. So the name only has the special letter case in illustration, but in the dialogue/text it's sentence case like so:
Props to Uncle Mugen for the free bg. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=17302&start=270#p297681
Props to Uncle Mugen for the free bg. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=17302&start=270#p297681
Is that still confusing?

===========
Progress wise: I have 4/7 main characters designed~~~ I want to reveal them all together though because I want them standing side-by-side in a particular order........... xD;; I'm gonna save Theo for last because LION (I need to work on drawing animals). I'm probably going to do a few color versions for a few characters too. After I get all the main characters at least preliminarily designed I'll get back to writing more regularly.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Eora
Regular
Projects: Sugar & Massacre, Réadú and Nach Innen

Re: Theo [survival, dystopian]

#17 Post by Eora »

1. The pervert in me reacted to the name, but it's nothing seriously distracting or anything.
1a. Not in my eyes, no!
2. Definitley. (They look great overall)
3. Yes!
4. I LOVE unlockable stuff, as long as it's no pain in the ass to get them.
5. t looks interesting in a great way, makes me curious and wanting to see more from this.
6. SHOTA!!!!!
-

Current project: Sugar & Massacre

-

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Theo [survival, dystopian] 03Feb all charas up

#18 Post by Reikun »

@Eora; Thanks for your comments and taking the time to answer my questions :)

And now it's update time.

NEWS:
-- First post updated with portraits/blurbs for all main characters.
-- February is going to be a writing month, with a bit of coding as I start patching together a playable alpha.
-- Story synopsis/information will be updated sometime down the road after I get more of the story solidified. Most of it is soft of floating around in my head right now.

Regarding the lettercase for "Cliostratos," I decided to keep it separate so that you'd get to see the funky SPeLLING in images (yeah, I can't let it go haha '''OTL). In the text/dialogue it's going to be spelt "Cliostratos" though.

Maybe I'll post up word count updates once a week for the rest of this month in order to humiliate MOTIVATE myself!! 8)
I'm looking forward to getting back to writing >u<
ImageImageImage

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Theo [survival, adventure, fantasy(?)] Update 15/6

#19 Post by Reikun »

hey look it's an update :'D

Development stalled during Feb-April, but my semester ended in May so I ended up writing more in 2 weeks than I did in 4 months (including January, when I started). I decided to do monthly writing goals for myself and it's really motivating to strive for little victories. My goal for this month is to get to 20k words total. I'm keeping my final word count estimation very conservative (50k) but if I'm not even at the main branch by 20k I'm pretty sure final word count might run up to 75k or more...

I completely re-wrote the beginning, and in the process I moved away from the "dystopia" idea and brought in a teensy bit of fantasy. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle genre/labels for this thing at all so I'll just leave it at survival/adventure/fantasy until I get a playable prototype to pass around for some opinions.

I also found out that the font I'm currently using for the logo is considered "overused" haha. It broke my heart when I first realized how common the font was but then I found a different font that was very nice which I'm going to use instead (just need to implement/style it and get some feedback later).

Not working on art at all until writing is at least in the second draft but I'm working on drawing the characters consistently with little doodles and crap on the side so hopefully it's "easy" when I get to the art stage! /sweats

That's all. I'm... probably going to try monthly updates at least for the summer (might not have the time when the semester starts again).
ImageImageImage

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Theo [survival, adventure, fantasy(?)] Update 15/6

#20 Post by Googaboga »

Yay. I'm really happy to see another update.

Sorry about the font :T. I'm glad you found another you like though.

Good luck on meeting your writing goals each month. I'm rooting for you.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Theo [adventure, survival] Update 23/7

#21 Post by Reikun »

@Googaboga: Thanks! I'm relieved there's still some interest in this project haha I'm really taking my time >___>;;;;

UPDATE TIME!
Things that happened between last update and now:
  • Lots of exams
  • Did not reach 20k at the end of June :'D
  • Started reworking the beginning again
Yes... I know redoing stuff over and over again slows down everything but somewhat paradoxically iteration is also what improves things. And I have a hard limit of 3 redos for any asset for this project so YES. Writing has reached its final redo and I'm going to run with what I have from here on out ;;;; As much as I love this project I'm ready to make some kind of permanent progress so any plot issues in the story will have to be managed in the editing stage. The good news is that a lot of my old writing is still usable (YAY!!) but I'll have to mince it around a bit to make it workable, but it will work.

I updated the logo (new one is heading the first post!). For my own amusement I put together a before/after.
I still kinda like the first one though hahaha;;; /shot
I still kinda like the first one though hahaha;;; /shot
Let me know if the new one is actually better or if I'm just deluding myself into thinking I can sort-of design now... (it should be easier to read at least)

Things that are going to happen now:
  • Finish new, and last, outline (Goal for July...)
  • Start proper writing again in August
  • Practice drawing characters
OH and before I forget I'm just going to pimp these drawings my friend did of Ezra and Hollis <3<3 (click through for full images)
Image Image
omg I didn't take the thumbnails at the same size orz

See you in August for the next update =w=)b
ImageImageImage

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#22 Post by Rossfellow »

This looks really interesting. The concept art stands out to me too, I hope to check it out when the first demo comes out!
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Reikun »

Update time!!

Things that happened between last update and now:
  • Summer classes ended
  • Moved very far away from home
  • Didn't work on outlining/writing at all
  • Did work on character design (a little)
Too busy to devote proper energy and care to working on plot, but I did go over what I had so far and didn't hate it so that's good. Since I haven't gotten farther with plot I decided to work on Ezra's outfits yesterday! I'm thinking he'll have around 3-4: school uniform, street clothes (x2?), pajamas (??? unless I make him sleep nude to save me work HAHA).
ezra_outfits.PNG
Variation with a vest for his uniform and variation with a rain poncho thing for his street outfit. Also variation on sock height because I kinda like the thigh highs design-wise but WHAT BOY would actually wear thigh highs to school?!?? OTL

Things have settled down since I moved so I've been turning the plot around in my head again. I have my fingers crossed for a closed alpha/prototype by the end of the year but I think school will be my priority for now...
See you next update!
ImageImageImage

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Reikun »

UPDATE TIME!

I missed my September AND my October update, heh. Just dropping in to say I've been slowing building out a twine prototype to help me manage all the branching points. I have 60-70% of the story planned out already. Finally settled on an opening scene and endings have been decided for a long while. All that's left to do it flesh out the middle parts!

My goal for November is to outline all the way up to the first super major path-locking branch point. I can't believe November is already halfway over though!

Theo will be one year in "development" starting Jan 2015 o___o); I spent this year just trying to nail the story down. I think after I get a functional outline going this will progress a bit more steadily.

ANYWAY! Next update will probably have some doodles/updated character designs. SEE YA IN DECEMBER!
ImageImageImage

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Theo [adventure, survival] Update 13/11

#25 Post by Googaboga »

Oh yay, you updated :>. Congrats on the progress you've made. Ezra's outfits look really nice by the way :]. I really like the color schemes you use C:.
In-Progress:
Released:

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Theo [Update 25/12 Looking for Alpha testers]

#26 Post by Reikun »

It's update time!

I am looking for testers/feedback on Theo alpha v.1.
If you're interested, please PM me and I'll send you the download link.
I've been working on Theo daily since my last update (phew!)
The next step for me is working towards alpha v.2. I'm making my new deadline Valentine's Day because... WHY NOT....
Planned features for alpha v.2:
  • 15k word count
  • all major characters introduced
  • get story up to the major branching point
  • non-placeholder sprites w/some expressions!
and whatever else I can manage on top of that is a bonus :)

(also please bear with me for a bit while I edit the first post! I'm working on getting updated information about the story/characters up tonight)
ImageImageImage

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Googaboga »

Cool. I'm glad things are coming along ^^. That promo picture of Ezra is super cute.

I'm really bad at giving feedback but if you have trouble finding people I could give it a try ;v;.
In-Progress:
Released:

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Reikun »

Thanks, Googaboga! Most people are probably busy because of Xmas/holiday season/visiting family so I'm expecting slow responses haha;;; If you feel like giving it a try though, let me know ^___^
ImageImageImage

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Theo [working on alpha v.2]

#29 Post by Reikun »

It's update time ^__^

BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO TESTED ALPHA v.1!!!

2015 started off strong and then I began classes and my productivity fell off a cliff :oops:
Alpha v.2 is currently sitting at just OVER 9000 words (sorry not sorry). I took a writing break after having my quarterly existential crisis I started classes so I can get adjusted to my new schedule. The initial goal for alpha v.2 was going to be a 15k word count... but I'm already at 9k and haven't even reached the end of alpha v.1. As a result, I decided to push back alpha v.2 to 18 April 2015 to allow for the writing to get significantly farther in the story than alpha v.1, as well as accommodate my class schedule, exams, nanoreno, etc.

SO NEW PLAN FOR ALPHA V.2:
  • 15k+ word count (story just needs to go farther than alpha v.1)
  • Completely transpose existing writing into 1st person perspective
  • Introduce all major characters
  • STRETCH: preliminary implementation of stat features
No art with this update T__T but I have been working on a site slowly so maybe that will be done by the end of the month? By alpha v.2 release? Soonish I guess haha

SEE YA NEXT UPDATE!
ImageImageImage

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Re: Theo [working on alpha v.2]

#30 Post by akemicchi »

Good luck, man! \o/ Can't wait for the alpha release!!