My Guard [GxB] [Fantasy/Medieval] [Upd8 25/07]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: My Guard [GxB] [Upd8 29/01]

#16 Post by Googaboga »

Nice. The two new sprites look great and I personally much prefer to have a visible MC so the change is certainly not something that will bother me X3. It sounds like things are moving along really well which is great ^^. The updates for this game are always fun to see :].
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#17 Post by Fungii »

Googaboga wrote:Nice. The two new sprites look great and I personally much prefer to have a visible MC so the change is certainly not something that will bother me X3. It sounds like things are moving along really well which is great ^^. The updates for this game are always fun to see :].
Thank you! They're only roughs at this point just so I have a point of reference when I go to do the actual sprites (thinking of doing something cleaner like this style here) but I'm debating because obviously I have to make sure they blend in with the background art. But once again I'm thinking maybe I should just do what's easiest and see how that results rather than thinking too much about it.

I ended up ditching one of the bad endings. Or at least taking it out the game until the rest done. It was just a short little gag ending where your dad comes and hauls you back to the castle, essentially grounding you, but I feel like it messes up the pacing a little. Upon actually writing the game, it's taken more of a serious tone than I expected (not like, ultra gritty, but certainly one where *sad trumpet noise* endings seem out of place). Oh well, at least this saves me writing some more!

Writing is at about 4k words right now and I expect another 2k or more before I hit the end of the demo and where the paths REALLY split off, at which point I can start working on some art assets that only the demo needs.

Thinking about music, I'm wondering if anyone has any like, soundtrack 'packs' they know of? I just don't want to be scrounging music from several different artists that all have a different 'feel' to them. Every artist has their own style, after all.
Better yet, does anyone know of any good and indie friendly composers that they can recommend?

Obligatory art update: some sprite planning for Cenric!
1.png
Need to work on getting him looking that same in each angle, I blame that on the first sprite being a doodle rather than actual planning.

Fungii
Veteran

#18 Post by Fungii »

Not much of an update today, but I can say I have the demo script finished! Now I just need to grab some place holder music, some sfx and make the art assets and I'll have at least made something. It'll just be a bummer after I finish it because it'll be a loooong while before I can give people anything playable again.

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

Re: My Guard [GxB] [Fantasy/Medieval] [Upd8 02/02]

#19 Post by Ferdokki »

Don't worry about that. If you're demo is solid and good enough, you'll start accumulating a fan-base, and that's always good. ;)
I think the game looks really cool, and I'm excited to see how it all turns out. 8D Best of luck to you!

P.S. In one of your previous posts, you were talking about writing the code in a Word document. That's actually really helpful and time-saving. I'm working on a game right now for which we don't have a solid programmer, so we all kinda pitch in and do a little bit of the programming. Since I am one of the script-writers, I incorporate some of the coding into my text.
It's easier to transfer the code to Ren'Py if you save the document as a Plain Text File (or in Notepad).

Fungii
Veteran

Re: My Guard [GxB] [Fantasy/Medieval] [Upd8 02/02]

#20 Post by Fungii »

Ferdokki wrote:Don't worry about that. If you're demo is solid and good enough, you'll start accumulating a fan-base, and that's always good. ;)
I think the game looks really cool, and I'm excited to see how it all turns out. 8D Best of luck to you!
P.S. In one of your previous posts, you were talking about writing the code in a Word document. That's actually really helpful and time-saving. I'm working on a game right now for which we don't have a solid programmer, so we all kinda pitch in and do a little bit of the programming. Since I am one of the script-writers, I incorporate some of the coding into my text.
It's easier to transfer the code to Ren'Py if you save the document as a Plain Text File (or in Notepad).
Thank you!
Yeah, I've ended up doing that. It's not like official coding but it sure has helped me know what I definitely need for my art when the time comes.
Unfortunately, being the artist means I've ended up putting in quite a few CGs in the demo alone. I guess I'm just too much of a visual storyteller :lol:

Finished another background today, as well as making a night version of the bedroom I posted earlier:
tumblr_n0e8zoxub51qc5w6io1_1280.png
I'll rpobably go back and tweak with the training field a little bit more later. Today's been a major bummer in terms of stressing out over getting a convention table that I messed up booking for, so I kind of just sat there doing these to take my mind off of it until customer services get back to me haha. :cry:

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: My Guard [GxB] [Fantasy/Medieval] [Upd8 03/02]

#21 Post by Googaboga »

Congrats on finishing the demo script :]. The backgrounds and other poses for Cenric look good. I really like that cleaner style example. It has a really nice look to it. But I agree that doing something easier is is a good idea since there is already plenty to do.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Fungii
Veteran

#22 Post by Fungii »

Didn't feel like going to sleep oop.
Finished up the first CG you see in the game; don't see much point in cropping demo stuff seeing as it's, well, demo stuff.
tumblr_n0ejrucT8S1qc5w6io1_1280.png
~protag in action~

Kind of thinking of doing side images now that I'm deciding the protag is gonna be less ambigious, but I don't know, should I leave that till last minute to add in or is it better to decide now?

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#23 Post by noeinan »

Love it! And you mean adding a little portrait when she talks, or putting her sprite on screen, or...?

Fungii
Veteran

#24 Post by Fungii »

daikiraikimi wrote:Love it! And you mean adding a little portrait when she talks, or putting her sprite on screen, or...?
Little portrait. Should be easy enough seeing as she wouldn't need whole new poses, but I dunno. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. But it would make the game a little flashier before I get some custom GUI.

Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

#25 Post by Kingv »

Can I just say that I'm lovin' everything you got going on thus far? And Cenric? Psssh...don't even get me started. He's just too dashing and handsome for words. Don't mind me while I sit back and admire all your hard work. ^_^

And I think having a side image for the main character would be pretty cool if there's no sprite for her on screen.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#26 Post by noeinan »

New poses? Does the MC already show up in sprites? If so, I don't think a portrait is necessary. But if she doesn't show up except in CGs then it could be a nice touch.

Fungii
Veteran

#27 Post by Fungii »

Kingv wrote:Can I just say that I'm lovin' everything you got going on thus far? And Cenric? Psssh...don't even get me started. He's just too dashing and handsome for words. Don't mind me while I sit back and admire all your hard work. ^_^

And I think having a side image for the main character would be pretty cool if there's no sprite for her on screen.
Thank you!
daikiraikimi wrote:New poses? Does the MC already show up in sprites? If so, I don't think a portrait is necessary. But if she doesn't show up except in CGs then it could be a nice touch.
Nah, I was planning to just have her in CGs, but this was back when I wanted to keep her appearance ambiguous. So far it's looking like a side sprite would be a nicer option. It would certainly help get her personality across during the opening.

Fungii
Veteran

#28 Post by Fungii »

2.png
First sprite done, he's a character who pretty much only shows in the opening/demo so far but hey, I like making sprites.
Knight Trainer/Your Trainer who doesn't know how to deal with a confident princess.

Edit: aaand we finally have a clean sprite of Cenric!
3.png
Nowhere near all the ones he needs, obviously, and it's only one pose out of 3, BUT EH AT LEAST I CAN MAKE THE TOP POST A LITTLE FLASHIER.

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

Re: My Guard [GxB] [Fantasy/Medieval] [Upd8 04/02]

#29 Post by Ferdokki »

Damn, Cenric. Damn...he's so gorgeous. >.<

Fungii
Veteran

Re: My Guard [GxB] [Fantasy/Medieval] [Upd8 12/02]

#30 Post by Fungii »

And of course, schoolwork starts up again and development on this grinds to an almost halt.
On the flipside, I found the time to draw Cenric's other pose. Only one left on him and I can say his sprite is all done!
b2.png