Destination: Nowhere, USA [VN] [Jam, Angst, Friends] [3/1]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Destination: Nowhere, USA [VN] [Jam, Angst, Friends] [3/1]

#1 Post by Hazel-Bun »

"Greetings Stranger!

You've Reached the End of the Road."

Title: Destination: Nowhere, USA (D: N,USA)
Format: VN [Short, Friendship, Writers Angst, Cat Loving Flower Child vs. Nihilist Hipster Writer Ahoy]
Tagline: “Greetings Stranger! You've Reached the End of the Road."

Setting: A small mid-western town called Little Rome's train station and two whack jobs vivid imaginations.

Plot: Greetings stranger and how do you do? Not well I assume seeing as your magnum opus, your manuscript to be exact, has been rejected for the twelfth time… in a row. There’s nothing to fret about though, after all, you can always go back home to raise the cattle and just ignore the four years and thousands of dollars you sunk into your schooling, hoping to come out the next big thing when it comes to literature.

Just great!

Now you're sitting at the local train station, wondering if it’d be poetic to throw yourself over the railing under the fluttering fall leaves, when some chick by the name of Gemini “Bubblegum” Zodak comes up to you and decides to be your friend.

Wonderful! Exactly what you expected.

If that’s not bad enough, she’s brought along her cat (which, quite frankly, doesn't belong at a train station). And you hate cats with a undying passion.

Suddenly this freak is trying to tell you that your writing is suffering from a case of bland try-hards, caricatures, trying not to do much of anything over the course of 400+ pages.

Doesn't she understand that your characters are not only clever but the most original creations ever!? I mean, surely she gets that by spending two hundred pages staring at chipped paint, they’re actually viewing the decay of our corrupt society and the total pointlessness that is life and creation in an imperfect world…

Right?

Oh well, some people just can’t seem to see true greatness before them. Now you’re stuck with her and it’s not much you can do about it till the train pulls up. Might as well pretend to like her till then. You might actually learn a thing or two from it!

A short, whimsical and all at once grounded reality check of a visual novel about a small town writer realizing they might not be the next Cormac McCarthy after all, and one strange flower child and her black cat from the pits of Hell, brought to you by Hazel-Bun of Cherubim Scribes.
Characters +More:

"How about no?"
(Side Sprites shall go here if I decide to make them)
You
"You or more like the player. A small town writer who's never tasted rejection up until now. You're a bit of a prick when it comes to reassessing your own greatness. But never fret, you're a sarcastic one at that!*"
* Default names Gavin or Gabrielle.

"Don't be such a Debby downer man~""
Gemini "Bubblegum" Zodak
"A woman stuck in the wrong era, she decided you're going to become friends after you had the misfortune of making eye contact with her... and her familiar."

"Meow!"
Mittens
(Sprite shall go here)
"The above witches familiar- I mean black cat who's out to get you. And maybe some tuna. Emmmh, tuna..."
Screenshots+ More:
TBA
Resolution: 1350x950
Endings: Two in total

Progress:
Story: Count (4,491) (Done) (Un-Edited)
Outline: 100% (Done)
Proofreading: -1% (Sweet Jesus this needs an editor ahahha) (Now in this stage)
Programming: ??% (The framework is already in place aside from the text input stuffs.)
Script: ??%
GUI: 0% (Haven't decided if I'll try to customize it a bit yet.)

Sprites:
Concepts: 50% (Sketching Mittens now. Might make side sprites for the player character too.)
Completed: 1/2(or 4?) (Gemini Done)

SFX Collect: 2/? (Collected)
Logo: 1/1 (Done) (Thanks khnachi!)
Icon: 1/1 (Collected)
Backgrounds: 1/1 (Collected)
Music: 3/? (Collected)

CGs: 0/? (If at all possible)

Credits:
khnachi for the wonderful logo~
xavimat for the text-input code
TBA

<><><>

1/19/14

Who hasn't been working on AtPF? *hollow laughter* *is shot* So this is my New Beginnings Jam entry in a nutshell. I'll be updating it and making it look pretty/added screenshot spams as soon as I get the writing out of the way :)

1/21/14

Added some screenshots. Is the font I choose too hard to read?

1/24/14

More screenshots of Gemini's sprite.

1/25/14

Logo and script is complete. Editing is underway. Changed the in-game menus to text-input choices and might let the credits overlap with the BG image.

1/26/14

Getting over this cold yahh~ I'm out of school for two days do to the weather, so I'm hoping to finish editing the script by then. Gemini's sprite set is complete :) Added her to the main post under her description. Now to sketch Mittens and edit away.

3/1/14

Misses the deadline by two months like woah, dang!!

Lots popped up so was unable to get this jam now not-a-jam-but-still-short VN out in time. Seeing as the script is done (just not edited properly) and everything else is in place aside from some sprites (Mittens and maybe a side image but properly not), I think I'll just go on and submit it after NaNoRenO is done ^^

Also look at this cute request of Gemnini asdfghjkl;!! Till next month!
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 27#p312727
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:23 am, edited 22 times in total.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

Re: Destination: Nowhere, USA [VN] [Short, Friendship, Angst

#2 Post by Haze »

Ok, this looks like it's gong to be hilarious. The humbling of a so-called great author— love it. 200 pages staring at dried paint, heh...

I hope that one of the endings involves Mr.Author(is the author a guy? Girl? I mean, Gemini does call him/her/it "man", so I just figured...?) realizing that maybe he isn't all that/making his writing better so he's one step closer to becoming the next Cormac McCarthy(whom I have never heard of until today).
Um, er, hmm, is that a AtPF quote I see up there? Is that supposed to be there...?
I wish you luck in completing this! New Beginnings Game Jam, yeah!
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Haze wrote:Ok, this looks like it's gong to be hilarious. The humbling of a so-called great author— love it. 200 pages staring at dried paint, heh...

I hope that one of the endings involves Mr.Author(is the author a guy? Girl? I mean, Gemini does call him/her/it "man", so I just figured...?) realizing that maybe he isn't all that/making his writing better so he's one step closer to becoming the next Cormac McCarthy(whom I have never heard of until today).
Um, er, hmm, is that a AtPF quote I see up there? Is that supposed to be there...?
I wish you luck in completing this! New Beginnings Game Jam, yeah!
Lol yeah, I hope it is at least! It's artistic I tell you >:/ Every sentence has meaning!! This game is basically a jab at elitism in the writing industry and ourselves. Light hearted though, nothing awe inspiring.

You read my mind Haze! One of the endings is exactly like that with Mr./Mrs. Author (I'm trying to make it so you can pick you name and gender) finally realizing that they can improve upon their writing. McCarthy's writing is a little... morbid to say the least but very elegant in a strange way. You should check him and his writing out sometime.
FFFF- no removed and thanks. I copy the template of my threads so sometimes miss stuff like that.
Thanks man and to you too. I'll be posting up in-progress pictures of Gemini and a screenshot or two possible tomorrow. I'm trying to crank out the writing bit first though.
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#4 Post by Reikun »

Whoa! That's a huge res ;___; My tiny(!! 1366x786 is tiny these days?!?) screen wouldn't be able to handle that OTL Ahhhh well I can always resize the window.

Overall I'm mostly interested in what Gemini has to offer to the story :D
And you hate cats with a dying passion.
should probably be an "undying passion"

Excited to see your character sketches! I hope all the New Beginnings jam games make it by the end of the month~~
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Reikun wrote:Whoa! That's a huge res ;___; My tiny(!! 1366x786 is tiny these days?!?) screen wouldn't be able to handle that OTL Ahhhh well I can always resize the window.

Overall I'm mostly interested in what Gemini has to offer to the story :D
And you hate cats with a dying passion.
should probably be an "undying passion"

Excited to see your character sketches! I hope all the New Beginnings jam games make it by the end of the month~~
asdhl;dsfahghjdklsezfpnw Really!!? On my old computer (like 6 or 7 years old till I got my new huge one) that res took up a good chunk of my screen but it was okay still ;o; Should I make it smaller? I mostly have it this size so I can piggy back off of AtPF's code I don't have to do too much work changing around things.

Hope she's interesting ^^ I added a sketch of her with color below. I wasn't cropping the images in paint properly, hence the whackness of my last screenshot spam. How does she look? I'm open to critique if you'd like to offer any, especially on the color scheme. Haven't cleaned the lineart yet so excuse the fuzzy/grimy-ness

lolol what is spelling and grammar!?

Me to man, I hope I can make it :) Plus my bud khnachi is almost finished with their game so I got to get to stepping!
Attachments
Credits :)
Credits :)
If you squint you can see the CTC. It's suppose to be a simplified navigation/compass symbol but black on black is not... working out out well lol.
If you squint you can see the CTC. It's suppose to be a simplified navigation/compass symbol but black on black is not... working out out well lol.
In game. There's a rain animation too.
In game. There's a rain animation too.
Title card.
Title card.
Title screen. No GUI as of yet but you can see the icon and the like.
Title screen. No GUI as of yet but you can see the icon and the like.
Here's Gemini in progress. Haven't decided on the colors 100% though.
Here's Gemini in progress. Haven't decided on the colors 100% though.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Destination: Nowhere, USA [VN] [Jam, Angst, Friends] [1/

#6 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Ffff-- sick and medicated and shouldn't be up at this Un-Godly hour but here I am.

Just wanted to show some in-progress sketches of Gemini. I think I've settled on these colors and might add a texture or something to make it less bland.

The script is almost complete with only one more choice to go. It's obviously un-edited, but I should have an updated word count by then. If I can finish that, Gemini and code that all in before next week, I might consider spicing up the game a bit with Chibi CGs peppered in and the like.
Attachments
Gemini Afro zoom
Gemini Afro zoom
Gemini Full
Gemini Full

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#7 Post by Haze »

Woah, nice job on that sprite! Where's her cat? Is it hiding? :lol:

Good choice for her earrings too, by the way.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Haze wrote:Woah, nice job on that sprite! Where's her cat? Is it hiding? :lol:

Good choice for her earrings too, by the way.
Thanks man :) Lol no he isn't drawn yet. I think I'll make him a separate sprite so he's not there the whole game, on her shoulder or something.

Yeah I've always liked triangle shaped earrings and thought it would fit her personality.

Well the link is being dumb (on my phone so can't make it properly show), but here's the logo my bud khnachi made ^^ http://s49.photobucket.com/user/puffyam ... 8.png.html

Will revise this thread and update in general once I've done what I need to do today.
Attachments
The cleaned lines... for the most part lol
The cleaned lines... for the most part lol
Still working on the colors and the like.
Still working on the colors and the like.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Double posts like a dutz

So I randomly decided to have it so the player can type in choices instead of click on menus. (Thanks xavimat!) So far I have it working but I want to do somethings that are beyond my limited scope of knowledge.

I want the choices to be able to influence a conditional side sprite of a boy or girl if I can squeeze one in. Would I just use an if statement? And speaking about choices, I want the player to also have more free range when choosing a name. Right now you have to enter "Gavin or Gabrielle" (Default names) or the player chides you for being indecisive. I think the synonym code allows you to have more free range...? I'll check that out later I guess and figure it out when I can ^^

Updated the word count too! That's the final count for now :) Now off to revise it so it reads as proper English~
Attachments
Credits overlapped. Do they look better on a black screen instead?
Credits overlapped. Do they look better on a black screen instead?
Choice~
Choice~
Choice!
Choice!
Choice...
Choice...