Curse of the Fangirl! [GxB] [Humor/Romance/Supernaturalish]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
alylt
Regular
Projects: Seven Kingdoms: The Princess Problem
Organization: Azalyne Studios
Tumblr: azalynestudios
Deviantart: alylt

Curse of the Fangirl! [GxB] [Humor/Romance/Supernaturalish]

#1 Post by alylt »

Hi everyone :) Below you will find my ridiculously wordy intro for my new project, Curse of the Fangirl! I hope you enjoy it!
It all started on a day, not too unlike every other day. Work, class, being interviewed by the police after tackling a naked man in a top hat and bowtie climbing the children's stacks, getting a very weird book as a present from your boss. Only when urged on by your best online friend and fellow fangirl, you read some strange latin incantation did things really start to get weird. A bunch of fictional knights landing in the middle of your bedroom kind of weird.

Now your life has become a series of struggles and worry. It's not unlike having five very needy, very helpless, very demanding pets. Pets who happen to be a bunch of hot guys who walk around in armor and are always pointing their swords and people and who like to vanquish first, ask questions later. And you are stuck in some sort of mystical contract that means you have to take care of them.

Yeah...you don't want to be you either.

Curse of the Fangirl is an otome humor-romance game that charts your adventures as you play a slightly awkward fangirl who accidentally manages to summon the source of her fangirling from a book series, right into her own bedroom and all the troubles that causes.

It is also a gravely serious exploration of such important topics as 'what happens when fictional fantasy knights who are tragically transported into the modern world read explicit slash fan-fiction starring them and their friends?!'

"Umm...hi?"
Alias: M/Marian
Signature Traits:
Jaded, A bit awkward, sarcastic
HUGE CHRONOGAL (Three years ago to....present?)

You live alone in the house left to you by your eccentric grandmother who declared herself legally dead and is off in parts unknown. The rest of your family is on the other side of the country. You would never admit to being lonely though. After all you have your job (where dealing with the emotionally and rationally challenged is an every day adventure.) School, (which has no end in sight) and your online friends. And most of all you have the Knight Chronicles and all it's characters. (You never expected that last part to become literal.)

"Doooo eettt, dooo ettt! Peer pressure! Peer pressure!"
Alias: Callific
Signature Traits:
Enthusiastic, creative, passionate
PROFESSIONAL SHIPPER?

Your online bestie and fellow Chronogal (the girls of the Knight Chronicles small, but devoted fandom.)

She's just a little bit crazy, super enthusiastic and most importantly, she never judges you for anything, she's just always been a good friend.

Which almost sort of makes up for the fact this whole mess is basically her fault.

"I brought you the notes you miss- Oh...my...sparkles."
Signature Traits:
Kind, patient, smart
GULLIBLE?

Your best real life, school friend (okay, your only,) Bri is basically a Disney princess, in that she's so nice birds should trail after her singing and braiding her hair. There's no way you can tell her the truth about your strange new roomies, but that doesn't mean you can't get her help, which you are going to desperately need.

"Handmaiden, I command you to procure more 'pee-zah'"
Signature Traits:
Charismatic, noble, natural leader
DEMANDING DICTATOR?

In the books, Prince Calden is pretty much the epitome of heroic awesome leader-ness. He's charismatic, commanding, and manages to foil the bad guys at every turn.

It's obvious that the author has never met him.

You have never met such an arrogant, condescending, spoiled, entitled ass in your entire life.

"Forgive me, Lady. It was not my intention to distress you."
Signature Traits:
Chivarlious, kind, understanding
BASICALLY A BABYSITTER?

In the books, Sir Alaric is the best, supportive friend to the prince and the other knights. He is endlessly kind, selfless and noble.

In real life... (you can't believe this is your new standard of real) Well...he's pretty much the same.

The only Knight who makes any effort to be kind and understanding towards you, you already owe him for saving you from his friends. If only the rest of them weren't defective models and were all like Sir Alaric, having them crash at your house (often literally,) wouldn't be so bad.

"Are you well enough to stand on your own, lady, or do you wish to faint and have me catch you again?"
Signature Traits:
Confident, capable, charming
IRREDEEMABLE FLIRT?

In the books, the darkly handsome Sir Serin masks a dark past and private pain by being a flirtatious bad boy.

So far, the only pained thing you've noticed about him is how much he flirts.

If you haven't experienced the bizarre pick up lines of a fantasy knight, you haven't really lived. (haha j/k you could really do without it. LIke your life doesn't have enough problems right now.)

"...I like this magic box- com-pu-ter."
Signature Traits:
Brilliant, loyal, independent
MOSTLY MONOSYLLABIC?

In the books Sir Niro is always saving the gang with his quick wits and incredible intelligence.

If they wrote him the way he acts in real life in the book, he would never a) say anything or b) actually show up for any of the major events because he's too busy obsessively using your spare computer in favor of sleeping, eating, or basically anything.

At least he's adapting to the modern world, which is more than you can say for the others. (It's a miracle you haven't all been arrested yet.)

"(Draws Sword) Who is this strangely dressed invader? Does he threaten your safety or virtue, lady? Shall Sir Guy the Great teach him manners by sending him to his grave?"
Signature Traits:
Brave, loyal, strong
'DELIGHTFULLY' DIM ?

No one is further in real life from how they are in the books than Sir Guy.

In the books, he is noble, strong, respected and basically a hero in the flesh.

In real life.... he's basically a dumb, over-enthusiastic puppy with a sword and an incurable desire to 'slay' everything and everyone that he doesn't know or understand (again, as he's dumber than a pillowcase of rocks, that's everything and everyone.)

Also he tends to talk about (and praise) himself in the third person.

You are amazed no one's murdered him yet.

Prince Calden's devious, power-mad uncle who the knights thwart at every turn.

The Duke's only son, and Calden's cousin. His villainy would be more frightening if only he was better at it. As it is he would be completely lost without his two loyal vassals...

Reth's childhood friend, she disguised herself as a boy in order to become a knight able to stay by his side and protect him. (Usually from himself.) Is it just loyalty that keeps her there? Or something more?

Since Vielle really speaks against Reth, it's usually up to Sir Mylo to prevent any major disasters. He's quite smart and has to use every bit of his brains to keep Reth from too much trouble.

Currently Curse of the Fangirl! is a one woman project with (pretty hilariously awful) stand in sprites and no cgs. I expect I'll be at a place to put up a demo of the beginning of the game soon.

Attached is a word document
Fangirl_Intro.doc
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
with just the text of the very beginning of the game and a few images/backgrounds.
cherry.png
instructions.png
gate.png
Statistics:

The game contains 471 dialogue blocks, containing 9,536 words and 51,538
characters, for an average of 20.2 words and 109 characters per block.

The game contains 8 menus, 114 images, and 14 screens.

Thanks for reading! :D

alylt
Regular

Re: Curse of the Fangirl! [GxB] [Humor/Romance/Supernaturali

#2 Post by alylt »

I'm reserving this spot to answer any questions :)

First some hypothetical questions:

You say this is romance game, what does that mean and who is romanceable?

The game is currently planned to have 5 in game weeks. At the end of week two, the game will branch off into different routes for the different romanceable guys, based on choices you made earlier in the game. Some of those will be easy to realize which will get you points for which guy, and some will not.

Currently Prince Calden, Sir Alaric, Sir Serin and Sir Niro are the romanceable characters.

Sir Guy is one of the knights, why isn't he romanceable?

This will become more apparent as people actually get to play the game but....Sir Guy is kind of an idiot. An amusing, well-intentioned idiot, but an idiot all the same. That's not to say that someone couldn't write a compelling romance with a character like Sir Guy, but that someone is not me. Sorry to any hypothetical future Guy fans.

Do you plan to have any GxG routes?

Not at the moment, but mostly that's because it's a matter of resources. This game is already going to require a lot of art and I don't have a ton of money to throw at it. If that becomes less of a problem and I have more time/money/arts, I would definitely want to add a route with Vielle. I've left some of that possibility open in the writing of the game.

What kind of gameplay is there?

It's pretty much a straight route-branching visual novel. I've tried many more complicated, choice-heavy styles before, and they always end up way too complicated for a one person team.

Let me know if there's any other questions you would like me to answer!

AquaEG
Regular
Projects: Fateful Encounters
Organization: At the moment, niches are not my forte.

#3 Post by AquaEG »

I can't wait for the game to come out cause it sounds really interesting. XD Five knights? Count me in! (Even if they're all clueless, it's still adorable! :3) I hope you get those pics out soon, cause I'm dying to see how they look like!
It's funny but this kind of reminds me of Rooftop Prince :P
Also if you want any help, mainly with writing, I'm open :D You can message me if you need to.

alylt
Regular

#4 Post by alylt »

AquaEG wrote:I can't wait for the game to come out cause it sounds really interesting. XD Five knights? Count me in! (Even if they're all clueless, it's still adorable! :3) I hope you get those pics out soon, cause I'm dying to see how they look like!
It's funny but this kind of reminds me of Rooftop Prince :P
Also if you want any help, mainly with writing, I'm open :D You can message me if you need to.
Thanks so much for responding Aqua :) I was feeling a little lonely in this thread all by myself. :lol:

The only pictures I will have reasonably soon is the hilarious(ly bad) face stand ins, I'm not going to commission any art until I'm much further along so I know for sure I can finish it :)

But I will show you some as a special first responder bonus! (Cover your eyes!)
cal.png
mc.png
Thank you so much for the offer of help! I will definitely keep you in mind as the project gets further along.

Also yay for another K-Drama watcher! :O The fish-out-of-water humor of rooftop prince was definitely the best part, which is why the idea of having a story that focused more on that and the humor of that has stuck with me for so long. Fangirl will have no birth-secrets/company warfare/mistaken identity/reincarnation/time travel though.

Thanks again! Your encouragement made me happy and I immediately wrote two more scenes after I read it :) Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

#5 Post by Kingv »

There's just something about knights that has always fascinated me. Plus throwing in some humor only makes it better. Really loving the premises of your game so far and am looking forward to future updates!

emace59
Deviantart: emace59

#6 Post by emace59 »

...I'm just going to quietly stalk this...