I'm Not a Monster! [Fantasy|Monster|BxB] MiniUpdate - May 28

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

I'm Not a Monster! [Fantasy|Monster|BxB] MiniUpdate - May 28

#1 Post by blankd »

Haven't been here in a while, but taking a stab at VNs again. I feel like this one will be more manageable since it's far less ambitious and due to it's simplicity and self-indulgent aspects, it should be easier to pull off even if it is on the more humble side. This is very much still in the development stage, so any feedback/questions would be greatly appreciated.

Plot Overview:
Tired of involuntary transformations? Do you hate looking at the beast in the mirror? Would you like to finally live on land?

We at Galatea are dedicated to making humanity a reality, and with our help you can become the human you deserve to be.

Grenn is unusual even among the monster-people of his world as his monster aspects have no clear ties to a patron creature. Thus far, he's lived a decent life in the care of others, but now the time has come to set out for the city and make something of himself.

However the trip to the city is the easiest step, the world is not as neatly cut as Grenn has been lead to believe and rumor has it that there are those that wish to "cure" the monster folk of their less human traits- but perhaps such a cure is exactly what he's looking for...

Who Grenn travels with is up to you, with (six) different companions to compliment him on his journey and his (potential) growth as a person.

Last update May 28th.
Things updated:
-I finished writing the 1st draft of the ~Introduction~ (15,464 words without edits)

What I'm Working on Next:
-I've started writing the "Air Path" which is one of the first major divergences. (There are two other "paths" besides this.)

-Hammered out my workplan which is finish writing the first and continue refining/nailing down designs alongside this. While the drafts are being edited I will be doing the finalized art and figuring out the CG calls since it's a bit of a chicken-egg scenario right now and I don't want art lag.

Characters (click thumb to see full concept image):
*NOTE* These are character sketches and color tests, the brief character descriptions are WIPs and an introductory interest check in them, I would like to talk about the character specific routes/developments in more detail in a later post.
Grenn - Is unusual even among the not-so-human, unlike others, his non-human traits aren’t easily referenced to existing animals. Because of his extra mouths he overdresses and is sensitive of anyone touching his torso and neck. His personality tends to clamp up if the topic of his abnormal mouths comes up.

His head is detachable, and worryingly enough when his head is separate from his body, his body tries eating anything and anyone around him. Depending on who he goes with, his development and respective outlook of events will change.

Grenn Related Sketches: [1, 2, 3]
Garett - Of the Greater Aveskind and far from his home for personal reasons. He has a strong aversion towards those that place him on a pedestal, but still maintains a healthy amount of pride. Garett can accompany Grenn to the city at his request since he is fascinated by visiting it.

Others affectionately refer to him as an older brother type because of his balance of duty and playful provocation. Going with Garett results in the most proactive change/destruction due to their personalities, he is also one of the easiest to romance.

Garett Related Sketches: [1, 2]
Rais - is of the smaller variety of Aveskind- he boasts of being an excellent [insert job here] and throws himself at Grenn to take him safely to the city- so confidently so that he insists on doing it for free. Rais is loud, intrusive and fights for the last word, even if it lends to him saying incredibly incorrect things. Maybe a journey will help him discover a quick method to remove his head from his own ass.

Rais' path is one riddled with adversity and knowing when to call out Rais' BS, while romance is possible it is a difficult one and the "reward" of it is questionable given Rais' personality.

Rais Related Sketches: [1]
Previous version of Rais: [1]
Indigo - of the armored variety of Beastkind, he speaks very little and can have a very black and white view of situations. He can accompany Grenn on his journey if Grenn requests that Chalice release Indigo from his (unofficial) duty as a guard. Indigo is extremely attached to his job and fulfilling the real (or imagined) expectations imposed on him.

Due to how Indigo perceives the relationship (as merely business) it is very difficult to get him to open up. A romance with him is possible but requires a good deal of investment and initiative from Grenn's side.

Indigo Related Sketches: [1]
Mirell - is of the reclusive variety of Medusakind, he's sugary, cheerful and eager to please. He insists on going with Grenn to the city (if allowed) in order to repay a debt to Grenn. He acts the least his age given his optimism, innocence and at times strange disconnects with reality.

Coupled with his initial lack of respecting personal boundaries, he can be a very taxing person to work with. Mirell's path requires reading between the lines and if all goes well, can be a comforting one. His romance starts off rocky and needs thoughtfulness to prosper.

Mirell Related Sketches: [1]
Levan - is a vagrant Scalekind; others describe him as aimless and a step away from being parasitic. He appears to take things in stride and often defers to a dialogue caveat of "just kidding". He offers to go with Grenn since his leaving means there is no more old bread for him to eat.

Levan's path is synonymous with a ticking timebomb, he has a "romance" path of sorts, but it is one that is doomed to end poorly for all parties involved or result in a general "bad end" all around.

Levan Related Sketches: [1, 2]
Previous version of Levan: [1]
Markol - is a fairly standard Beastkind, and a one-man merchant who's cranky and a strong subscriber to being a realist. He is quick to complain and "cash out" when a situation gets dire. Chalice "convinces" him to take Grenn on his way to restock in the city.

Since Markol initially considers Grenn baggage, it can be tricky to earn his friendship. Romancing him (conventionally) is not possible since it is something he is tired of, but there is a way to achieve a "romantic" scene with him.

Markol Related Sketches: [1, 2]

Misc Development:
-NPCs (present in all routes): [1, 2]
-Height chart [I guess if you're into that?]
-Mal 1st Pass [Colors] + A Scrapped Coloring Style

-Possible Logo and UI Color: Brainstorm
-Building Style and Color: Test/Brainstorm

General Messing Around:
-[Grenn + Markol], [Grenn + Levan] (warning for a butt?)
-[Grenn + Indigo], [Headless Grenn] (warning for mild blood and body horror)
-[Grenn and Euphemistic Toothpaste] (could be considered NSFW) *This doesn't happen ingame, sorry toothpaste fetish fans?

Welp, that was a fairly long post- I hope nothing's too confusing or too under-developed to get feedback or advice on! Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any questions/feedback/tips/etc!
Thread Started: Feb 19th
Last edited by blankd on Thu May 28, 2015 7:09 am, edited 19 times in total.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

Re: I'm Not a Monster! [Fantasy|Drama/Friendship/Rom|BxB]

#2 Post by Laiska »

Woah a queer game full of monster dudes? I am all about this. I'll just be hoarding those bara babes (Garett, Indigo, and Markol), thank you...

Ah, but this does seriously interest me a lot. Besides the romance, I assume there will be something of a moral choice to make as the plot goes along? Like whether Grenn (who doesn't seem particularly pleased with his non-human traits) agrees with the movement to 'cure' the monster folk.

blankd
Veteran

Re: I'm Not a Monster! [Fantasy|Drama/Friendship/Rom|BxB]

#3 Post by blankd »

Laiska wrote:Woah a queer game full of monster dudes? I am all about this. I'll just be hoarding those bara babes (Garett, Indigo, and Markol), thank you...

Ah, but this does seriously interest me a lot. Besides the romance, I assume there will be something of a moral choice to make as the plot goes along? Like whether Grenn (who doesn't seem particularly pleased with his non-human traits) agrees with the movement to 'cure' the monster folk.
Glad this piques your interest- especially the baras 8D

And yes there are moral choices and Grenn will have to make that choice (some others have moral choices unique to their paths) unless he blunders into a very peculiar place during the "standard plot" of the path.

blankd
Veteran

Re: I'm Not a Monster! [Fantasy|Drama|BxB] [Updated: Mar 10]

#4 Post by blankd »

(bumping? these things have also been added to the OP)

Things updated:
-Levan completely redone
-Markol color palette tweaked
-Some expressions for Grenn [1, 2, 3] and Garett [1]
-NPCs (present in all routes) designed! [1, 2]
-Height chart [I guess if you're into that?]
-Outline done!
-Endings laid out!

(Ideally) Next Update to be Posted on March 17th:
-More expression sketches (rest of the characters)
-Rough BGs
-Roughs for CGs
-UI/layout
-Mockup

As usual, any feedback/questions would be great! I'm still a little unsure of what genre of VN this is (so as to add to the thread title), but oh well, I think that's probably a minor element. Hopefully I can get more done next time instead of putting off an update. Gotta keep the ball rolling~

Dee
Regular
Projects: Elements: The Academy
Organization: Mushroom Samba

Re: I'm Not a Monster! [Fantasy|Drama|BxB] [Updated: Mar 10]

#5 Post by Dee »

Wow, this looks VERY interesting! I really love all of the character designs, the art is original and colorful and awesome :D Grenn is such a cutie, gosh >.< (even though his headless, giant-mouthed body is hella scary, yo) I also liked Mirell's design! I have a thing for those huge-hands type of characters, teehee. Plus his clothes are really neat, and his color palette is so pretty!

Are you working on this project solo? Cause that seems like a ton of work o.o But still, I wish you good luck! It's great to see more games with queer characters around here.

I'm curious about the world you created, though. Do humans generally not like monsters? Is there some sort of non-spoken division between them? I think it'd be great if you elaborated on that a bit more :3

Anyway, you've gained a thread stalker! :D

blankd
Veteran

Re: I'm Not a Monster! [Fantasy|Drama|BxB] [Updated: Apr 20]

#6 Post by blankd »

Long time no see!

Things updated:
-Mirell Tweaked (added the neck markings)
-Mal 1st Pass [Colors] + A Scrapped Coloring Style
-Garett Monster Form Sketches+Flat Color
-Rais Expression Sketches
-Indigo Expression Sketches
-Mirell Expression Sketches
-Levan Expression Sketches, Levan Monster Form Sketches+Flat Color
-Markol Expression Sketches, Markol Monster Form Sketches+Flat Color

-Possible Logo and UI Color Brainstorm
-Building Style and Color Test/Brainstorm

(Ideally) Next Update to be Posted on April 27th:
-Flesh out Expressions for testing (designate default positions)
-Rough BGs
-Roughs for CGs
-UI/layout
-Mockup

There were also some uhhh... saucier sketches I practiced but I'm not posting them here. 8P
Dee wrote:Wow, this looks VERY interesting! I really love all of the character designs, the art is original and colorful and awesome :D Grenn is such a cutie, gosh >.< (even though his headless, giant-mouthed body is hella scary, yo) I also liked Mirell's design! I have a thing for those huge-hands type of characters, teehee. Plus his clothes are really neat, and his color palette is so pretty!

Are you working on this project solo? Cause that seems like a ton of work o.o But still, I wish you good luck! It's great to see more games with queer characters around here.

I'm curious about the world you created, though. Do humans generally not like monsters? Is there some sort of non-spoken division between them? I think it'd be great if you elaborated on that a bit more :3

Anyway, you've gained a thread stalker! :D
Thank you for the compliments! And yes I am working on the project alone, but everyone's feedback is very helpful! :)

I'm also flattered you're interested in the world but most of the details are reserved for you guys to discover when you play it (hope that's not a cop-out answer!). But I will say that yes there are divisions present, not just between humans and monsters but of course- I hope that each route will do a good job exploring these different perspectives on how this world works.

And again thank you for your kind words, I'll work hard to meet your expectations! 8)

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#7 Post by Katta »

That looks really interesting and unusual, I would love to play your game! And your banner looks cute and funny too (it made me go look at your thread and I'm glad I did).
I like Garett the most so far, glad he'll be the easiest to romance too)

blankd
Veteran

#8 Post by blankd »

Last update May 5th.
Things updated:
BG Concept + Color Test:
-Ember/Inkroot Cave
-Campsite + The Common Path
-Red Rain Pass + Blue Bottle Creek

-Misc Character Doodles/Sketches: [1, 2]
Katta wrote:That looks really interesting and unusual, I would love to play your game! And your banner looks cute and funny too (it made me go look at your thread and I'm glad I did).
I like Garett the most so far, glad he'll be the easiest to romance too)
Glad it looks appealing I hope I can put out something to play... soon... someday XD

Kizzy

Re: I'm Not a Monster! [Monsterboy Dating|BxB] [Updated: May

#9 Post by Kizzy »

Oh my gosh!! Q A Q monsterboys yes yes yes! Im totally down for this the characters are very interesting and cute!! O v O Im really really excited to see this developed more wow! * v * I cant even decide which guy i like the best! @ v @ hahaa

blankd
Veteran

Re: I'm Not a Monster! [Monsterboy Dating|BxB] [Updated: May

#10 Post by blankd »

May 25th. (sorry this one is a bit of a skimpy update)
Things updated:
-Levan tweaked: Old vs. New
-Practice sketches:
Grenn + Markol, Grenn + Levan (warning for a butt?)

-Practice coloring:
Grenn + Indigo (warning for empowered female armor), Headless Grenn (warning for mild blood and body horror)

-Possible baseline for CGs:
Grenn and Euphemistic Toothpaste (could be considered NSFW)
*This doesn't happen ingame, sorry toothpaste fetish fans?

-Scene blocking
Kizzy wrote:Oh my gosh!! Q A Q monsterboys yes yes yes! Im totally down for this the characters are very interesting and cute!! O v O Im really really excited to see this developed more wow! * v * I cant even decide which guy i like the best! @ v @ hahaa
Glad you're looking forward to it, I hope I can deliver XD

EDIT: Also if it's not too much, some feedback on that possible baseline for CGs would be great! Is this acceptable in your opinion?

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: I'm Not a Monster! [Monster|BxB] [MiniUpdate: May 25]

#11 Post by Googaboga »

This is definitely one of the best casts I've ever seen for a VN. I love all the creativity and variety *v*. Plus inhuman characters are always cool. Honestly I'm pretty jealous because one of my goals is to have an entirely (and clearly) inhuman cast XD. The plot sounds really great as well.

I can't really give any feedback on art because I don't know how ;u;. I will say all the expression sheets are really fantastic.

Good luck :3.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

blankd
Veteran

Re: I'm Not a Monster! [Monster|BxB] [MiniUpdate: May 25]

#12 Post by blankd »

Things updated:
-Rais Tweaked: Oldvs. New [1, 2]
-Rais is now revised to be 19 instead of 17

-The basic skeleton (In Twine) of the overall flow of the game.

The rest of the stuff was a bunch of NSFW content and some responses to a trending reblog on Tumblr. INoaMon Tumblr [here].
Googaboga wrote:This is definitely one of the best casts I've ever seen for a VN. I love all the creativity and variety *v*. Plus inhuman characters are always cool. Honestly I'm pretty jealous because one of my goals is to have an entirely (and clearly) inhuman cast XD. The plot sounds really great as well.

I can't really give any feedback on art because I don't know how ;u;. I will say all the expression sheets are really fantastic.

Good luck :3.
Thanks very much!

I tried to make them look varied and if I can do it, so can you! I'm sure you'll accomplish that as well for your own project, and thanks again for the interest. 8)

blankd
Veteran

Re: I'm Not a Monster! [Fantasy|Monster|BxB] MiniUpdate - Au

#13 Post by blankd »

Sorry for the long silence! Time flies when you're working!

Things updated:
-Flow revision, you pick from one of three pairs (Rais + Garett, Indigo + Markol, Mirell + Levan) to go on the road. I find this is better way to interact with the characters as well as not immediately lock people into a route so early on.
-Technically things have been "in-production" for a bit, but I'm currently working on an OP for WIP threads, one for the (optional) adult content for the adult forums and a general thread for the general WIP forums. I'll keep you updated when I have it ready! 8)
-Misc. Writing/revision has been going on behind the scenes.
-I have also been posting some light hearted sketches on the main tumblr.

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

#14 Post by Inksword »

Aaaa I love the idea for this and the art and sketches look cool so far. I can't wait to see more! I can already start to see strong characterization coming from the sketches so I have high hopes!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#15 Post by Googaboga »

Yay nice to see another update ^^. The changes sound good to me. I really like the idea of them going as a group rather than it being one-on-one the whole time.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices