A Digital Ghost Story [Mostly Kinetic][Sci-fi/Drama]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Vin Howard
Regular
Projects: A Digital Ghost Story
IRC Nick: Vin_Howard

A Digital Ghost Story [Mostly Kinetic][Sci-fi/Drama]

#1 Post by Vin Howard »

A Digital Ghost Story
A mostly kinetic short story about experiencing someone else's past
---
"In the early 21st century humanity discovered how to convert memories into a digital format. With this advancement came a startling discovery; when memories extracted from a recently deceased human were inputted into an AI code, the “AI,” began acting well outside the designs of its code, even blatantly ignoring them in many instances. Instead, these “AI” took on the personality of the recently deceased, even showing signs of sentience. To this day the nature of this phenomenon is the subject of much debate. Has humanity accomplished the digitalization of the human consciousness? Is it a continuation of life for the deceased or is it an entirely new life? Can it even be considered human? Can it even be considered alive?

"One thing is for certain, though: something exists within those digitized memories. And that something has come to be widely referred to by the name of 'ghost'"
---
Plot: In this world, "ghosts" are stored in what are known as Ghost Cores, a self-contained "application" (sorry, no idea what term I should use here) that contains the ghost's digitized memories, a AI code specifically designed to be used by ghosts, and the ghost itself. Occasionally, however, the ghost will enter a dormant state, and the AI core becomes inactive. The player takes the role of a "Ghost Whisperer," a person whose job is to "forward" his conscious into an inactive ghost core, find the dormant ghost, and awaken it.

The means by which the player is instructed to find this ghost is by experiencing the ghost's memories, as the memories and ghosts are intimately connected. Under the guidance of a person monitoring the conscious forwarding, the player begins experiencing fragments of the ghost's memories, often out of order, as they follow her experience of first love.

In short time he meets the ghost herself. Asking the player to stay inside the core for awhile longer (the player can refuse; there will be minor branching), she reveals the rest of the memories, including the tragic ending.

In between the memories, there will be minor interactivity between the player and the Ghost (the Ghost speak the player, and occasionally ask a question).

---

Setting: An undisclosed period of the the 21st century. The general idea is to have a near-future setting, but realism isn't going to be a major focus.

---

Ending Ideas: (Note: the story will remain for the most part unchanged; you choice of answers to the GHost's questions, and the resulting endings will only have the effect of different dialogue from the Ghost)

Reject the Ghost's wish that you experience the rest of her memoirs (pretty self explanatory)

Reject the Ghost- Accomplished by treating the Ghost in a cruel manner

Listen to the the Ghost- Accomplished by listening to the Ghost, and generally accepting who she is; but doing nothing future then that

Accept the Ghost- Accomplished accepting the Ghost and accepting her in her entirety

---

Planned Assets:

4 BG's: 3 shall be "real" world settings, but with a "hologram" effect to them; the 4th would be the bg for the core, for scenes spent between memories (it would be very basic)

2 sprites: One for the Ghost, and one for a major character from her memories (maybe a 3rd one... maybe?)

CG: Maybe one for each ending? Not a must for me.

Music: Probably going for an "Experimental" electronic soundtrack

---

Project Background: This is actually my first VN. My main inspiration and the source of my drive to make this game is Christine Love's Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus. And the setting draws inspiration from that wonderful series called Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

The goal of this project is to serve as a starting point. My desire for awhile now has been to become a professional writer. And I have found that VN's are the medium by which I want to write. So basically, this will hopeful serve as the first of many VN's from me as I polish my skills and (if my talent matches my dream) eventually go pro.

---

Progress report:

Writing-

"Memories" section more or less completed

"Out of memories" section is about 80%-90% done. (Working on the last bit right now, which contains branching narrative; and considering I have never done anything like this before, it's taking me awhile)

Word length is at 7k and I expect it to reach 7.5k-8k words

Art assets-

0% (I going to concentrating getting the story side finished first)

Music-

0% (I'm probably going to use CC music for this; found a nice site)

---

And now for some questions:

-How should I go about getting art and music assets for my VN?

-What do you think of the endings?

-What is the logic behind a collection of player choices leading to different endings? How would I go about writing and programming something like that?

And...

-What do you think?
Last edited by Vin Howard on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

snowflakes
Regular
Projects: Improve my art
Deviantart: vychi

Re: A Digital Ghost Story [Mostly Kinetic][Sci-fi/Drama]

#2 Post by snowflakes »

Hmmmmm... I have to admit that I didn't understand everything because of my bad (VERY BAD) english, but i think i have understood the principal concepts. I really like the plot, very original and unusual. But are you going to focus the story into the feelings between the Ghost and the player or into the Ghost's memories? (sorry, I didn't understand that >-<)
Sooooooo, answering your questions...
If you want to get art an music assets for your VN, you can ask here en Lemma Soft. I think you could find somebody to help you.
I think you may know that there is a lot of free stuff in the internet; i mean, you can find music and backgrounds for free, even cg and sprites. But if you want your own art, look for an artist. I'm not that kind of stunning artist that can draw better than angels, but i can deal with it. What i mean is if you don't find someone who could draw for you, send me a message and I'll show you my art. If you like it, I could help you =^.^=
About the endings, I think I could tell you better what I think if you answer my question.
Ah, the next question...Well, programming It's not something that i like, basically because I don't understand anything. I only have the basic concepts, so I can't help you with this. But there are a lot of tutorials of how to use Ren'py. I think someone more experimented can answer this question better than me.
I hope you can understand what i'm writting, i mean, my english sucks...

Good luck~!

Vin Howard
Regular

#3 Post by Vin Howard »

snowflakes wrote:Hmmmmm... I have to admit that I didn't understand everything because of my bad (VERY BAD) english, but i think i have understood the principal concepts. I really like the plot, very original and unusual. But are you going to focus the story into the feelings between the Ghost and the player or into the Ghost's memories? (sorry, I didn't understand that >-<)
Sooooooo, answering your questions...
If you want to get art an music assets for your VN, you can ask here en Lemma Soft. I think you could find somebody to help you.
I think you may know that there is a lot of free stuff in the internet; i mean, you can find music and backgrounds for free, even cg and sprites. But if you want your own art, look for an artist. I'm not that kind of stunning artist that can draw better than angels, but i can deal with it. What i mean is if you don't find someone who could draw for you, send me a message and I'll show you my art. If you like it, I could help you =^.^=
About the endings, I think I could tell you better what I think if you answer my question.
Ah, the next question...Well, programming It's not something that i like, basically because I don't understand anything. I only have the basic concepts, so I can't help you with this. But there are a lot of tutorials of how to use Ren'py. I think someone more experimented can answer this question better than me.
I hope you can understand what i'm writting, i mean, my english sucks...

Good luck~!
Don't worry, I could understand you perfectly well.

"Are you going to focus the story into the feelings between the Ghost and the player or into the Ghost's memories?"

That's actually a very good question. To answer, the events of the story outside the memories are still very much in the idea phase (the type of writing it will require is very unconventional, and I have never done anything like it before). But the idea is that the Ghost's commentary, and your interaction with her will be a continuation of the ideas and feelings present in the memories. The reason why she became dormant was because of the events of her death, and the Ghost sees the player as someone she can talk about it with, as a sort of self-therapy.

And to clarify about obtaining art and music, I'm asking how I would do the whole recruiting someone? What should I expect? What will they expect? What questions should I ask, and what questions will they ask?

snowflakes
Regular
Projects: Improve my art
Deviantart: vychi

#4 Post by snowflakes »

Thanks for answering my question, I understand everything now and I like this story even more than before.
Actually, I don't quite know how to answer this question, because I'm new here too and I never asked for help with art or music. But since I'm a little artist, I would ask you the personality of the characters, their clothes, faces.. Everything, a concise description to draw a character that fits with your ideas.
In the sections ''Recruitment & Services Offered'' and ''Creative Commons'' of the index I think you can find a lot of information. In the Creative Commons section you can find a lot of free backgrounds, music and even sprites.
I wish this help you !

Vin Howard
Regular

#5 Post by Vin Howard »

snowflakes wrote:Thanks for answering my question, I understand everything now and I like this story even more than before.
Actually, I don't quite know how to answer this question, because I'm new here too and I never asked for help with art or music. But since I'm a little artist, I would ask you the personality of the characters, their clothes, faces.. Everything, a concise description to draw a character that fits with your ideas.
In the sections ''Recruitment & Services Offered'' and ''Creative Commons'' of the index I think you can find a lot of information. In the Creative Commons section you can find a lot of free backgrounds, music and even sprites.
I wish this help you !

Well that does give me a significantly better idea of what to expect then what I had before, so thanks.

Vin Howard
Regular

#6 Post by Vin Howard »

Status Update:

Writting-

"Memories" section more or less completed

"Out of memories" section has been outlined, and is about 25% done.

Assets-

I'm going to start soliciting art and music soon.

DesertSkald

#7 Post by DesertSkald »

1. As far as the art, in your recruitment thread you also need to tell the artist an estimated number of sprite expressions and poses (for example, I believe Cecilia has 8 expressions + 4 poses, Rahven 11 expressions + 4 poses).
  2. Umm... I liked all the endings? Exiting the core was a realistic option, the 'are you sure' questions was nice. Being the nice, empathic person that I am ( :lol: ) I got the accepting ending first go. I liked the varying flavor text in the endings.
  3. The 'logic' behind using player choices to determine endings is agency, I will let Extra Credits explain that. How do you do that (in Ren'Py)? Lots and lots of if statements and variables- er, 'flags', I believe they're called (the '$' thingys). For how to do that in games in general, the 2nd EC video deals with this if you haven't already watched it.
    I think DGS is kinetic enough that you don't really need separate endings - you make so few choices and they're all towards the end so... eh? It doesn't need dramatically different endings, imo. You wanna get used to branching VNs, make a datingsim. That's what I did anyways, and by golly I understand it now! I also understand I made it way way WAY too long, but I will make due T_T...
  4. If I can figure out how to attach things I'll add a list of spelling errors I caught. It's an interesting idea. I'm curious what sort of society brings back dead people in the form of androids for... no real reason? Why are the digital memories brought back at all, what happens to ghosts? Questions!
    Also, the actions and dialogue of the other characters seem like caricatures ('hey, my gf is socially inept, let's make her uncomfortable'), is this intentional?
Attachments
DGS_spellcheck.txt
(649 Bytes) Downloaded 56 times