Momoeda Academy [GxG] [High School Yuri]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Derpravity
Projects: "Momoeda Academy" (NaNoRenO '14), "Bountiful Love"

Momoeda Academy [GxG] [High School Yuri]

#1 Post by Derpravity »

Concept

I have an idea for a serious and very personal project to work on, but I decided NaNoRenO wasn't the time to focus on that, in case the frantic pace puts me off it. So I'm doing a silly yuri thing that I intend to have fun with, even if the story is a little first-drafty.

Please bear with my use of anime/VN pictures in lieu of concept art to give an idea of what the characters will look like when I can get some original art together. The other graphics here are my own work.

Story

Momoeda Academy is a private middle/high school for girls that prides itself on the emotional development of its pupils, who are encouraged to develop intimate relationships with their classmates to help prepare them for their adult romantic lives, while maintaining their innocence.

Fifteen-year-old Sumi is a high school freshman at the Academy, and she is quickly charmed by the beautiful campus and its elegant student body. As a girl who has recently found herself to be exquisitely and helplessly captivated by other girls, the possibilities of her new life at Momoeda Academy are intoxicating… Or so it seems?

She soon learns that while pupils at the Academy are all but expected to form what might be called "romantic friendships", physical relationships are utterly condemned and students who aren't interested in eventually forming traditional heterosexual relationships are ostracised outright.

Despite this, several students in Sumi's own class are suffering from their own secret yearnings. Can Sumi find someone to confide in, somebody who feels what she feels, without getting in trouble with the tyrannical student council?

Protagonist
Kitano Sumi / class 1-4 / leukine temperament (middle of the road)

Sumi is in her first year of high school, and is nervous coming to a prestigious private school for the first time. She had a lot of friends as a kid, but became more reserved towards the end of middle school as she experienced her first crush on a female classmate and socially withdrew, uncomfortable about her feelings and feeling alienated from her friends.

Candidates
Uehara Eriko / class 2-2 / sanguine temperament (assertive and friendly)

Eriko is an outgoing, upbeat and lively second-year student. She feels she has "too much love to keep bottled up", and has intimate relationships to varying degrees with several girls in the school, as well as crushes on several more. She's most attached to her special partner Yasue, who she's been with the longest. Because her official partner is Yasue, she can't become Sumi's "partner", but wants to get to know her nonetheless. The problem for Sumi is that if she herself doesn't officially partner with somebody, she'll draw unwanted attention from her authoritarian class representative.

Shibaguchi Chie / class 3-1 / choleric temperament (assertive and independent)

Chie is an intense third-year student who's taken over running the philosophy club since her special partner, the president, graduated last year. She's a serious rationalist who accepts no nonsense from anybody. She's working hard to increase membership so that the club doesn't get disbanded this year. She's obsessed with western philosophy, especially "Socrates-sensei", whose method she employs in leading club discussions. Her family is particularly wealthy and she's travelled to Europe with them several times. She's looking for a younger student to mentor.

Tono Miyuki / class 2-4 / melancholic temperament (passive and independent)

Miyuki is a loner in her second year of high school who's long been shunned by the student body because she's never had an official "partner" at the school. In truth, she fell in love with a girl who was partnered with someone else, and she couldn't stand to partner up with anyone other than the object of her affection. Miyuki has never told anybody her secret and suffers from depression. Her only social activity is her attendance at the philosophy club, where she organises and mediates debates.

Nakadai Kaho / class 1-4 / phlegmatic temperament (passive and friendly)

Kaho is a first-year girl in Sumi's class. She's a sweet-natured people-pleaser who's instantly infatuated with Sumi, and harbours some submissive fantasies about her. Kaho has attended Momoeda Academy since junior high, and is familiar with the school culture of "partnerships"; she has dreamed of such a romantic experience for years. She tries to be mature and casual, but inevitably psyches herself out and embarrasses herself, and has trouble accepting the true, goofy nature of her personal charm.

Other Characters
Reika: overzealous class representative of 1-4; idolises her sister, the tyrannical school council president.
Shiori: Reika's partner and second-in-command, though much more passive in nature.
Yasue: Eriko's beloved partner and another member of the philosophy club.
Takako: Sumi's sarcastic and overbearing sister, five years older than Sumi.
Ishikawa-san: the homeroom teacher for 1-4, a literature teacher.

Progress

Planning: completed all story outlining
Writing: 0/4 branches finished
Backgrounds: none
Sprites: none
Graphics: mostly done
Music: none

Images

Dialogue box graphic and font, sans name box:
Last edited by Derpravity on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Momoeda Academy [GxG] [High School Yuri]

#2 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Give yourself some credit. The story might be fairly typical, but you have a chance to make it your own. :)

I must advise you, however, not to fall into the trap of identifying characters solely by particular personality traits. (I assume the "four humors" element is more for the thread than anything else, but don't be afraid to break some molds!)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Derpravity

#3 Post by Derpravity »

Mad Harlequin wrote:Give yourself some credit. The story might be fairly typical, but you have a chance to make it your own. :)

I must advise you, however, not to fall into the trap of identifying characters solely by particular personality traits. (I assume the "four humors" element is more for the thread than anything else, but don't be afraid to break some molds!)
I want to develop my characters to be uniquely compelling. I won't get any satisfaction from rehashing a bunch of dull clichés, believe me. :3

I was thinking of having optional explicit content for this story, but now I've got some good ideas going and I don't know how to extract from the storylines that're being developed while leaving the narrative cohesively intact, so it'll probably just be an explicit game. >.>; At least that means the smut won't be completely incidental.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

1. Is the school closed off from the rest of the world? In other words, can the students leave campus? Can they stay in contact with off-campus friends and family?

2. Is there any evidence to indicate that not all graduates date or marry men?
Derpravity wrote: I want to develop my characters to be uniquely compelling. I won't get any satisfaction from rehashing a bunch of dull clichés, believe me. :3
Understandable. A character that's superficial is likely going to be forgettable. For instance, let's say one girl likes drawing, talks about it during every conversation, and becomes a love interest just by the player constantly increasing their Creativity statistic. Then the player might be left thinking "But who is she as an individual person?"

The things I consider cliche are probably interesting to someone else. The opposite is also true. Likewise, an idea that's considered worn-out today can be dusted off in a few years, given a new spin, and seem new again. On a related note, you might consider Australia a boring setting, but since I've been there only once, I would be interested in a story that occurs in places that you know.

Derpravity

#5 Post by Derpravity »

I don't think the school's closed off from the rest of the world, just steeped very deep in its own culture.

2. I'm not quite sure what you mean.
gekiganwing wrote:On a related note, you might consider Australia a boring setting, but since I've been there only once, I would be interested in a story that occurs in places that you know.
Absolutely. I'm looking forward to making a project set quite locally for me once I'm more confident with Ren'Py. I think more indie games need to represent individual and marginalised experiences, and I definitely want to share some of my own. I'm just doing this cultural appropriation one for the sake of fun, because it's easier for me to not take seriously and do quickly. :3

DarkSin
Regular
Completed: Rituals in the Dark (GxG), Sweetest Monster (BxG), My Magical Divorce Bureau!!
Projects: Innate Imperfections (GxG)
Organization: SinSystem
itch: darksin

#6 Post by DarkSin »

Despite you calling it "a silly yuri thing", I found the outline pretty solid and fascinating. More so than many other yuri works I've read/watched. If this project has, and focuses on, some serious issues/elements as well as comedy, then it's pretty much a complete package for yuri fans. Also I'm really liking the character personalities so far, and their looks(based on the images you have put up alongside them). I'll be following this :)