The Spirit's Essence project [ Fantasy / Medieval] [VN]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
erikB
Projects: a Visual novel

The Spirit's Essence project [ Fantasy / Medieval] [VN]

#1 Post by erikB »

The Spirit's Essence project;

Is a project created and set up by Erik ( me :P), it is the creation of a visual novel based on a selfmade story.
The story so far consists of 40,000 words and counting.

Please note before reading further this is all W.I.P., what you read here could be subject to change.

This is in the idea stage, I am continuing the writing of the story.
I will showcase some artwork (which I paid an artist to do).

The story is about a god who creates the world and find many hardships( trust, greed, interactions) which aim to open his eyes.
Showing that although he has godly powers, there are somethings a god cannot do / change.

You are that very god, it is up to you to decide who to trust, who to kill, what to do!

The main idea of the story so far is:

You are the god, the world is following a chain of events the ending (how the world will end up) will be based on your actions.
During this journey you will encounter many hardships as mentioned above but also that other characters in the game will do actions based on what they find good.

There will be a war, I am not sure how I plan to achieve combat ( I am thinking about turn based combat )
I got to see how I can implement that into renpy ( I am a programmer but haven't gotten much time to use ren'py, I made a Javascript Visual Novel engine though not fully completed).

During a war you will be especially busy, busy in terms of you got to pay attention to what other characters do.

you get to answer these kind of questions:

Can you predict the other characters movement?
Who will you trust?
Are your servants loyal?
Could you be ambushed?
Will your army be victorious?
Who to attack ?
Is your wife devoted to you?

There will be several endings:
Purgation ending: Eritsune's army is victorious in conquering and killing all hostiles.
Demon ending: Eritsune failed to kill the demons / humans failed to kill the demons demons take over the world.
Wife ending: Eritsune dies, but his wife takes over the command of the army and in rage kills everyone ( similar to purgation but you die here)
Peaceful ending: Eritsune makes peace with every faction

Protagonist:

Eritsune: ( no artwork currently)

Race: God
(hybrid of angels and elves)

personality:
Arrogant
selfcentered

Eritsune is the god of the world, he is everything nothing really cares him much he likes life.
He created the his own race( Winged Sylvari) to be worshipped by people.
Although he has godly powers Eritsune is not immortal.

Preview:

Earth, great oceans turning into roaring rivers that reach far beyond the mortal plains, into the mountains that dare reach the cloud.

That was on his mind when the world was created.

He who created the planet earth, Eritsune, god of Earth.

Eritsune created a race similar to him, his kinsmen, with the power to cast magic, enhancing their bodies, granting it wings and tall ears to hear from afar.

Unique to the Winged Sylvari was that every Sylvari is born without wings; young ones have to earn their wings as they grow up.

I place this post in the idea section because I want to see what kind of feedback I will receive.
Please give me criticism if something you find wrong or bad or not a good idea.

Based on the feedback I receive I will decide wether to continue or not ( please note the Light novel will continue regardless)

That is what this post is for after all haha.

The website is: http://ecbroekhuis.wix.com/spiritsessence
There might still be some issues with the website, I will do my best to resolve them. ( it is still WIP)

There is a member section where you need to sign up to see something only members can see ( it is more artwork, nothing 18+)

The Team:

Right now I am the only person working on it, and I am ordering artwork from artists.

Artwork:

Keiko ( Eritsune's wife) :
(image is big)

Thank you all for the time to read this!

Ellesmera

Re: The Spirit's Essence project [ Fantasy / Medieval] [VN]

#2 Post by Ellesmera »

What an interesting idea! I have just read a little about it and I already have questions...

I assume from the lovely artwork that Keiko is one of the Winged Sylvari, is this correct?

Also what line is the story going to take, it could be a vn about a psychological exploration of what it means to be a god?
Or... It could be a high fantasy quest style vn? From what you wrote I am guessing that it will be somewhere in-between the two options.

I like the idea of the main character being God, and am curious as to what, if any limitations he has on his powers...

(this applies to your post in the recruitment section)
Otherwise it would probably be best to post some statistics and the like, for example the estimated length of the final piece, and so on - just to give people a perspective of what they can expect to be doing.

erikB
Projects: a Visual novel

Re: The Spirit's Essence project [ Fantasy / Medieval] [VN]

#3 Post by erikB »

thank you for reading this!

That is correct the artwork you see is Keiko, Winged Sylvari.
But one of the most powerful Winged Sylvari.
You could compare it to the Emperor and his primarchs from the warhammer 40k universe.

In that universe the Emperor is a god
his primarchs are his sons / close related family with power from the god.
Their race are the space marines

Although Keiko was created by the god himself she gained extra power from him after their marriage.
She became the goddess of the Winged Sylvari ( I will update it on the site).
There is some small information on the website regarding her.
( God is also a Winged Sylvari) I will edit that into the both thread.

Yes, I am planning to be somewhere in between, there are several human factions each with their own personality / style and culture.
Eventually the god will realize everything.( I don't want to say anything that can be spoil the story xD.)
Psychological exploration is also a good genre, that will indeed be the case. ( I am not saying much here but you are right I need to add that to the tags)

The main line will be that god has all the power in the world and he uses it all on lots of things, in the fullness of time he come to realization that his power is not unlimited.
The humans become annoyed by the fact that the god lives and does "nothing" to help them.

As god you can choose what to do, there will be several options:

Creating an army to kill them.
Use diplomacy
some more options

In this story the main characters wife will help and guide him ( like a tutorial mentor that eventually becomes a fully fledged character)

This is the kind of line / story development I would like to have but note that anything I say here is still W.I.P.
Thanks to the recruitment thread I have received privates messages and I will discuss with them what would be best.

Thanks once again for your time to read and write a reply!