Umi no Hi: Ocean Days [BxG] [Fanwork] [Time Warp]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Alastair
Projects: One Piece: Ocean Days; O-miai

Umi no Hi: Ocean Days [BxG] [Fanwork] [Time Warp]

#1 Post by Alastair »

I don't really know where else to place this ... or even if this is allowed, but I did see another game in-progress where the designs of the characters were heavily based off of work not of their own. So since this is NON-commercial, and thus no money shall be made, it should be fine?
"I don't do things I regret. The things I wanted to do ... I did them so I wouldn't regret it later. So what if time is repeating itself! There wasn't anything I would've changed! So why!? Why am I living these days again!?"
~ Monkey D. Luffy

Long story short, the characters are owned by Oda Eiichirou, from the manga/anime One Piece. On top of that, it's a semi-homage to the 1993 movie, Groundhog Day. If you know One Piece, you know it's not known for romance, and you'd be right, so what the hell am I doing making a romantic game for One Piece? But I'm a nerd, and since when have fans and their view of couples made any sense?

Never?

I thought so.

Summary:

It was just a normal couple of days. Luffy went fishing, and raced with Usopp, and the day after that, they finally debarked on Happy Monday Island! And there's a festival going on the next day! After a bar fight, Luffy goes back to the hotel, and happily goes to sleep. He wakes up back on the ship, three days earlier. The race with Usopp? Never happened. The shark they put in the fish tank? It's not there! What's going on!? Luffy's stuck in a time loop, but the rest of his crew is completely unaware of it. With or without their help, he will have to find out how to get out of the time loop without losing himself in the process.

Characters:

Monkey D. Luffy
Pirate captain of the Thousand Sunny, and one of the Monster Trio, Luffy's not the sharpest nail in the shed, but even he knows that going to sleep in a hotel doesn't equal waking up back at sea. Luffy is completely lost in a time loop, and unless he figures out how to get out, he might never escape. He'll need to keep his mood up, and try doing different things, or he might slump into a depression that will be hard escape. Not only that, but the more the days go on, the more he begins to notice the two women on his crew ...

Roronoa Zoro
Also an idiot, but sharper than Luffy. Zoro's a loyal friend and crewmate, and is usually very level-headed. He's always at odds with the ship cook, Sanji, however, and picks fights often with him. Zoro's a heavy drinker, but never to a stupor. He's an even heavier hitter, and is one third of the Monster Trio.

Nami (Obtainable)
Navigator of the crew, and accomplished thief, Nami originally didn't want to join Luffy at all. To make a long story short, however, she's now a happy member. Even though most of the others are idiots. She owes her freedom to Luffy though, and will do anything to see them safe to their destinations. She loves money, and tangerines.

Usopp
The sharpshooter, Usopp's known for amazingly, incredibly, unbelievable LIES! His dream in life is to become a brave warrior of the sea, but in actuality, Usopp is more likely to run than stand and fight. He does however have a lot of pride, and will protect his friends and captain in a pinch.

Sanji
He's the cook, and a damn good one. Sanji might look and act like he's just stepped out of a mafia film, but he does have a huge weakness. The ladies. He's another third of the Monster Trio, however, he never uses his hands as he finds them more important. He uses them to cook after all. He guards the coveted password to the fridge, and often finds himself at odds with the swordsman, Zoro.

Tony Tony Chopper
Cute, adorable, fuzzy, and gullible. Chopper's a reindeer who ate the Human Human Fruit which gives him the ability to transform and talk. He's the doctor of the crew though.

Nico Robin (Obtainable)
Robin's been on the run from the government since she was 8 years old. She's an archaeologist, and is studying the ancient Poneglyphs - an act forbidden by the World Government. She's happy with her nose in a book or even digging around in a dusty tomb. She can seem a little dark, but she's always smiling.

Franky
His real name is Cutty Flam, but ... that's too hard to say! Franky it is, then. Franky's a pervert - or just weird anyway. After a collision with the sea train, Puffing Tom, Franky rebuilt his body with cyborg parts. He's never really stopped improving himself making himself weirder. The shipwright, Franky is also the designer and builder of Thousand Sunny.

Brook
Musician. Superstar. Skeleton with an afro. Just Bones Brook. Wait what?

Help:

Currently, I have no art for this game. I'm not able to pay you, but donations of sprites would be appreciated (if you're interested, but don't know what these characters look like - who are designed already for you - a quick google search should do). But if push comes to shove when I'm getting close to finishing, I believe I can wing some decent sprites.

Semi-stylized would be nice if I can request a little. :P

I'll be attempting some background art at a later time once more of the island is fleshed out. I have been debating however on the usage of using only images of the sky, or even of just the ocean - seeing as One Piece's ocean (known as the Grand Line) is ginormous. Any thoughts on that?

Progress:

Later Plans:
Luffy's Skills
2nd Ending
Activities

In Planning Stages:
Concept BG Art: Hotel room, the boy's room, Thousand Sunny's deck and island buildings.
Concept Sprites: Designing some festival clothes.
1st Ending: Currently writing, and polishing script.
Coding: Time is looping great.
Luffy's Mood: Is declining, and rising, but not exactly as quickly as I'd like
Background Song: Fiddled with something https://soundcloud.com/mudgorillaed/merry-go-round

Update:
11-06-14
Going through the pub date scenes, and also managed to divvy up a placeholder song.

11-01-14
I haves a new scanner which is rolly - and seeing as I'm jumping back into this (even though I told myself to finish the shorter VN first), I did a few sketches to make sure I wasn't too rusty. And also practiced on a character I've never drawn before. I need more red and blue pens now ... In any case, I'm back to this once again. Will start on writing some of the date scenes for the 1st Ending.

03-14-14
Deleted three endings. Will now only be doing two. Also had to revamp Luffy's Mood, may not be working as originally planned. Will have to polish and improve after more writing is finished.

Completed:
Jack
Attachments
face sketches, and practicing with new scanner results in awkward
face sketches, and practicing with new scanner results in awkward
background ideas
background ideas
some sprite, and costume ideas
some sprite, and costume ideas
Last edited by Alastair on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:25 am, edited 6 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Umi no Hi: Ocean Days [BxG] [Fanwork] [Time Warp]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Just searched a moment ago for "One Piece fangame." A few examples appeared, but it's difficult to tell if anything has been completed... That's a common problem with freeware, fan-made media, and the like. People start creating stories and games. But then stuff happens. They get bored or frustrated, they have other real life commitments, or there's a serious problem that keeps work from getting done. So my advice for you is:

* Consider how committed you are to your project. How much time can you devote? Are you passionate about telling your story?
* Plan out the scope of your visual novel. How many routes and endings? How long do you want each path to be?
* Think about giving yourself deadlines. Decide to finish X amount of story by day Y, and release that as a beta version. This might help you avoid the common problems of procrastination and perfectionism.

I believe Oda himself once said that the One Piece characters are in love with *adventure*. Of course, there is of course room for shipping. And you don't need to drastically change the tone of the story. But what sort of boy x girl romances do you want to write? Do you think they will be justified by the time loop story?

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

There's also the fact that fangames are, generally speaking, not legal . . . but you must be aware of the risks you take in pursuing such a project.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4 Post by fleet »

Regarding the illegality of fan games, you can always ask the copyright holder for permission.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Alastair

#5 Post by Alastair »

gekiganwing wrote:* Consider how committed you are to your project. How much time can you devote? Are you passionate about telling your story?
* Plan out the scope of your visual novel. How many routes and endings? How long do you want each path to be?
* Think about giving yourself deadlines. Decide to finish X amount of story by day Y, and release that as a beta version. This might help you avoid the common problems of procrastination and perfectionism.

I believe Oda himself once said that the One Piece characters are in love with *adventure*. Of course, there is of course room for shipping. And you don't need to drastically change the tone of the story. But what sort of boy x girl romances do you want to write? Do you think they will be justified by the time loop story?
Stories I've written all the time. I have more than just several under my belt. I even did a little tiny VN as practice using one of the stories.

As to how dedicated, I realize that games aren't something you can just go into and do all by yourself usually. That's why it's here in ideas rather than Works in Progress. As for time, I have a night shift at a hotel. There's generally HOURS of me having a whole lot of nothing, but thinking to do unless I bring something with me for some sort of entertainment. This is something I can do given enough time.

And seeing as how I had hours of nothing to do this last night as well, I'll be updating the first post with some of the things you asked about.
Mad Harlequin wrote:There's also the fact that fangames are, generally speaking, not legal . . . but you must be aware of the risks you take in pursuing such a project.
fleet wrote:Regarding the illegality of fan games, you can always ask the copyright holder for permission.
Funimation (the copyright holder for the anime in America) is generally cool with stuff so long as stuff isn't blatantly ripped from the DVDs and such which is definitely not happening. Viz (manga copyright holder) seems to be the same. And I'm not selling jack, so I don't think there'll be hubbub.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

It's been a couple weeks. How is this project going? I'm asking this because I'm curious.

I don't want to be pushy. If you have no news, or want to announce progress later, I will understand.

Alastair

#7 Post by Alastair »

gekiganwing wrote:It's been a couple weeks. How is this project going? I'm asking this because I'm curious.

I don't want to be pushy. If you have no news, or want to announce progress later, I will understand.
Progress was unfortunately halted due to hotel shift shenanigans, and training a new night auditor. Everything is now, more or less, back to how it was before.

D: But now it's been months since I've done a lot of Ren'py coding junk. So this project is talking a little side break while I work on a short VN to practice yet again. Actually learned how to build a GUI though, so, hopefully, once it's finished, I can concentrate on Ocean Days again, and make it better than I had originally envisioned.

I was doing quite a bit of writing before I had to stop, however, though I'm nowhere near to completing the first ending. Actually, after all those other posts, I was worried that there wasn't much interest.

EDIT: @.@ I decided to peek at the code and game, and ended up fixing weird bugs that I don't remember happening before. Must've been the new update to Ren'py? I dunno, but I think I got as many as I could.

Alastair

#8 Post by Alastair »

And what's a game without music? Well, it's a silent game, and that sounds boring. Haven't ever really composed anything before, so I had to brush off some old music reading skills, and did a bit of music theorizing before plopping this out.

I like the beginning, but I feel that it meanders towards the end, so I'll thrash at it later - going to sleep now.

https://soundcloud.com/mudgorillaed/merry-go-round

Go ahead and criticize it so I'll fix it later.