The Past Me [BxG][Romance-Drama-Tragedy]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
sothcsp
Projects: The Past Me (WORKING TITLE)

The Past Me [BxG][Romance-Drama-Tragedy]

#1 Post by sothcsp »

Hello. Um, I have an on-going VN project here. So, I would like to hear some opinions, advices and feedbacks about this.

Now, the title of the VN is The Past Me. (It might be changed in the near future.)
The slogan for the game is "I am who I am. I was alone till I met you."

So far the expected genre will be romance, drama, tragedy and slice of life comedy.

The main characters are about 4 only (Including the playable character). Two of them are the only possible capture targets. This is because of the reason that I want the story to be more vivid, more detailed and bonds with the player as well. I also want the story to differ greatly everytime you choose an answer.

The plot is simple. Boy chases girl with a ton of plot twists and a ton of choices.

I already have the concept art but I'm posting this from a tablet so... sorry, I can't post it. :( Instead, I'll just be explaining the details of the 4 characters.

Please note that each character has conflicting qualities or traits.

1. Kensuke Harumi (17 yrs. old)
An orphan. He isnthe playable characer in the story. Childhood friends with the two other female protagonists, Yumeha and Lia. Very kind, friendly and often sacrifices own happiness for other's happiness. He is also the type of person that doesn't give up easily but this is only shown in front of his adopted little brother, Kyle. His negative qualities are oblivious to other's feelings and easy to give up on something. He can be very distrutful sometimes.

2. Kyle Harumi (12 yrs. old)
He is the adoptive little brother of Kensuke due to him treating Kensuke as an older brother. He is very clingy to Kensuke. He is also probably the comic-relief in the story, yet will play a big role on both of the 2 routes. He too is an orphan. Despite being abandoned at a young age, he is shown to be very friendly and calm in even the perillous of events. He too tuinks very logically yet at certain times can be incredibly illogical. In terms of physical health, he has a very weak body.

3. Yumeha Celestin (18 yrs. old)
She is also an orphan and a childhood friend of both Kensuke and Lia. One of the possible capture targets. She apparently calls Kensuke "Bro" and vice versa because of their very close relationship. Back when they were still children, she has always carried romantic feelings for Kensuke. She is very caring and loving to people she cares about. She is also playful, calm and lady-like in certain occasions. She is also quite frank to what she says and somehow notnshy to tell her feelings. Despite this, she has a fear of being left out. She can also be panicky and somewhat mentally unstable at certain times as well. She is somewhat moody as well. She also gets into fights vey easily, making her somewhat of a tomboy.

4. Lia Suzumoto (16 yrs. old)
She is also an orphan and a childhood friend of both Kensuke and Yumeha. Also one o the capture targets. She, like Yumeha, has harbored romantic feelings for Kensuke ever since they were children. She has very many similar qualities with Yumeha. But, unlike Yumeha, she covets her feelings and often doesn't want to tell what she really is feeling. She is also very shy yet very playful to those who have gotten close with her. She too doesn't want to be alone.

So yeah, that's it... for now.

As of now, I'm making the CGs.

I have the story being planned out because it will take 7 chapters to complete 1 route. Estimated 36 hours game time per route.

The 2 problems I have right now is that;

1. I need help. Music composing, beta testing, background artists, animators and coders. Believe me if I say this but I'm trying to learn all of this but... yeah. Cut the long stoy short, I REALLY NEED HELP.

2. Nowadays, help is not that... free. I have no credit card to pay anyone with.

So... what do you think?

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: The Past Me [BxG][Romance-Drama-Tragedy]

#2 Post by Asceai »

a 72-hour VN is unusually long. You're talking something approximating a million words here. Even commercial VNs rarely get anywhere near that long. You may want to reconsider that target, particularly for your first game. Once you've written a chapter or two you'll probably have a better idea of the sort of length it is.

If you're making a free game, you can probably get free help. If you're making a commercial game, you almost certainly have to either pay people or work out a royalty-sharing scheme.

You can also substitute royalty-free assets for stuff you are missing, particularly when it comes to backgrounds and music, as there is a wealth of royalty-free material available and much of it is generic enough.
Coding, if it's a straight VN, is probably simple enough that you can script the VN yourself and just ask for help when you need it (e.g. when customising the UI or creating certain fancy effects.) Ren'Py is designed to be user-friendly for beginners, after all.
Beta-testing is something people will probably jump at the chance to do. You could likely just post a thread asking for help here and get a good number of responses quite quickly.
I don't know what you have planned in terms of animation - if you're talking short, simple effects, a quick post asking for help on a specific thing will probably net results. If you're talking something more expansive like an opening movie you'll have to find someone, and people who are good at that sort of thing are pretty rare (plus it would be an incredible imposition on their time.)

sothcsp
Projects: The Past Me (WORKING TITLE)

Re: The Past Me [BxG][Romance-Drama-Tragedy]

#3 Post by sothcsp »

Hi. Um, You're probably right on the somehow impossible crazy game time :)
Maybe it might be better if it's for like 36 or 38 hours though....

The royalty-related assets... Um, I'll think of something.

Coding... I tried it before but I got pissed and deleted JEdit. Plus, the LAN Card in my computer is broken so I really can't do that. (Advanced coding and stuff.)

To be honest, I already have beta-testers. But, I'm a guy who likes to know what other's think about the game and if possible, make it even better.

As for animation... I'm talking about the... you know, in-game graphics. Such as movements in the background and etc.

Well, thanks for reading and for the feedback though! :)