A change in the weather [GxB]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
KuronekoRM

A change in the weather [GxB]

#1 Post by KuronekoRM »

In a world where elemental magic is an everyday thing, the kingdom of Ethir has always been ruled by the descendants of a dark mage. Even though some people don't care about their own magic abilities, there are other for whom the element defines the social position. According to this later ones, the worst thing there can be is a weather sorcerer, since they are rumoured to be quite temperamental individuals. For this reason, most of them moved out of Ethir and a minority established themselves in the countryside.
The king has passed away, leaving the throne to his only son, a young man who is usually described as 'the kind of person you don't see everyday' by the few city folks that had the chance of meeting him. In colloquial speech, an oddball. As if he wanted to prove this, he declares he's looking for a partner... but not of any kind, of course: the new queen must be a weather sorcerer, with qualities such as 'to be able to shine as much as the sun' and 'have the strenght of the pouring rain'. As much as this makes the inhabitants of the city sigh, they aren't that worried: after all, there haven't been news about such mages for a long time. In the city, that is.
In the countryside, people have never cared about the ruler, for they are sure the peace won't be altered. The statement of the king, though, does make a fuss: after all, who doesn't know about Taylin, the orphan the Estkield family adopted fifteen or so years ago? She has all that's required, given that by the sun comparison he meant 'way too hyperactive for her own good' and by the rain one 'you better don't make her angry'. The last thing the girl wants, however, is marriage: the only things in her life are her family, the farm they run, and making the other villagers get mad at her. She can't deny, though, a change of pace wouldn't do any harm...
What will she choose to do when, in a cinderella kind of way, the king's guardian visits her house to ask her if she wishes to meet the ruler of Ethir? Will she stay, go to the city on her own, or accept the invitation and live in the castle for some days?

Main Character

Name: Taylin
Job: farmer
Description: Though a trouble-maker and quite rash, people in town appreciate her, for she's always ready to help in whatever she can. She's been raised by Rekhen's parents, who are also weather mages, and she's quite protective of her childhood friend, since she considers he's no good at standing up for himself.
This girl's not exactly desperate to get out of the countryside, but she'd like to try her luck somewhere else, and she remembers dearly the time when she went on a trip to the city with her family.

Boys

Name: Rehken
Job: farmer
Description: The main character's childhood friend, a down-to-earth guy who's not all that ambitious: if he was to choose, he'd prefer to live all his life taking care of animals and crops, and sleeping 'till noon when his roommate is too busy pestering others. He tries to be the opposite of the girl in terms of patience, but more often than not his temperamental side wins.
He's not convinced by the idea of Taylin moving out of town, and he wouldn't hesitate on going with her if she wants him to, as much as he's all against noisy places and way-too-elegant places like, well, a castle.

Name: Atzor
Job: king
Description: Even if his altruistic personality and his enthusiasm could be good qualities for a ruler, he might be too meek for the rol he has to fill. He hasn't gone out of the city a lot in the last years, so the world he knows was created by the words read in books and those heard from the residents of his house, making him ignorant about most of the lands of his kingdom... and prone to getting nervous about those who doesn't know, too.

Name: Olearen
Job: king's guardian
Description: The arrogant messager who invites Taylin to the castle, and best friend of the king as well as his tutor. He's grown tired of repeating to Atzor that he ought to stop reading fairytales and learn more about useful things like, for example, sword fighting. His words can be harsh most of the time, but he's a thoughtful, motherly individual... unless he has just woken up, of course. Or someone tries to hug him.

Name: Nuher
Job: none
Description: A natura sorcerer who has a reason for staying so close to the city even when he despises crowds and the lack of fresh air. A side of him can be naive and honest, but one would need to go through his cautiousness first. He dislikes change the most, and though he claims he's not fond of vengeful people, he may not be exactly one to say...

Name: Skyne
Job: none
Description: Skyne was basically kicked out his home and sent to the city. He tends to act as if he didn't care about it and shows a carefree attitude, though that could be him being as dishonest as ever. His flaws left aside, he tries to cheer people up by staying positive and affective, and doesn't hesitate in supporting others when they feel lost, for he understands that emotion quite well.
His stubbornness helps him not to give up, but it can turn against him as it makes him not to be open to suggestions, and he's capable of more than it's right to make his dream come true.

Name: Suivan
Job: librarian
Description: Left the city looking for a calm place, and never looked back. His sister's a famous water sorcerer, but he couldn't care less about magic and such. Usually a knowledgeable and respectful one, who likes visitors, specially if they are avid readers like Rekhen. When he gets grumpy, though, the best is to stay away from him, unless you want to hear his pessimistic predictions and complaints. Said situation can be solved by making him a cup of coffee, though, and starting some philosophical conversation with him.

Name: Eeline
Job: baker
Description: His playful nature is shown at almost all times, with the exception of the presence of Taylin in the store. The girl doesn't seem to notice this, but it isn't the same for the rest of the people, which contributes to the shyness of the boy.
His main hobby is painting, probably because of the love he feels for both natural landscapes and architecture. He tends to be very tidy and can't stand the opposite thing, so he has the weird habit of doing house-chores even when it's not his own house he's in.

*after the introduction, you can choose to go to the castle or the city, or to stay in the town. Each place has two boys Taylin can date (castle: Atzor and Olearen, city: Nuher and Skyne, town: Suivan and Eeline). Rehken is kind of 'special', and can be dated in all locations.
*a route per boy except in, well, Rehken's case, since all three of his routes are completely different

Truth is, I just started this project, but I felt like sharing it. As you can see, it won't be that complicated or emotional, but I hope I can turn this into a fun game~
Also, I probably won't be posting the sprites until I finish the script, for I'm still looking for an adecuate way of drawing/colouring them, and if I make them now I'll probably want to re-do them by the end of the writing xD. But certainly I will add some more detailed sketches and such :3

Planning: 100%
Writing: 0%
Sprites: 0%
CGs: 0%
GUI: 0%
Coding: 0%
I'll get both BGs and music from free resources.
Last edited by KuronekoRM on Fri May 23, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Broodelin
Regular
Completed: A Harder Battle
Projects: Too many to list

Re: A change in the weather [GxB]

#2 Post by Broodelin »

This interests me. :)
I like that you can choose to not take the "Cinderella" route at all and that there's more than one choice when you do!
I'm not sold on the characters, though, based on the information given. Hopefully they'll be better in practice than on paper.
Should you need any help with your game, I'm always available!

KuronekoRM

#3 Post by KuronekoRM »

@Broodeline
I'm glad this project interests you~
I understand the way the profiles were written was a little crude, so I changed it ^^. I hope they look better this way... thanks for making me notice!
Thank a lot :)

Edited the info of the characters on the first post!

Broodelin
Regular
Completed: A Harder Battle
Projects: Too many to list

#4 Post by Broodelin »

Ah, that's much better. Now they seem less like collections of traits and more like characters! :D

Eeline is my favorite thus far.

I'd like to see more of this project as you develop it! Don't hesitate to ask for help, either. We're all very friendly people here. :)

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

#5 Post by infel »

This looks really cool, and I love the fantasy aspect you gave the game. Like the main character as well. Doesn't want to be married, but does want to see the outside world. I think that's a lot of us when we grow up. Home to see this in the works in progress thread, and good luck :D
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512