(WIP) Burdened Hearts [Fantasy/Modern] - updated 6/1

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
PugDoll
Projects: Burdened Hearts
Organization: Spiral Orchid

(WIP) Burdened Hearts [Fantasy/Modern] - updated 6/1

#1 Post by PugDoll »

Burdened Hearts
Autism. The word at once makes people either stare at you blindly, see you with sympathy, or mock you for your inability to function.
They cease to see you as more then your supposed condition. It is in this naivety that I would find myself lost.

Sing my heart, for one day someone will hear you.
Burdened Hearts tells the story of an autistic young woman named Jade.
Who finds herself suddenly thrust back into the world when she comes across a soldier very much in need of some peace.
Join them as they together at once delve into the past, while confronting the intricate web of troubles haunting their very lives.
Through pen and voice, they write a course in their world.
But whether they will survive it together will be up to you.
__Main Characters__
Jade Esther

image:
[attachment=0]JADE - profile_picture_by_pugdoll-d7kjasq.png[/attachment]

(Physical) Description:
She has fairly pale skin, due to having previously stayed indoors for long periods of time each day. Her hair is a slightly dark brown with some caramel highlights. It is cropped, fairly short with a sort of wispy look. The hair falls to just brushing a little past the tops of her shoulders. She is a petite girl with a cute sort of appearance. She has a rounded face and light green eyes. She is usually seen wearing a thin, no sleeved soft pink (almost rose) tunic with a creme colored belt tying it together over this. She wears dark brown pants that fall just beneath her knees and lighter brown boots. Her boots are sleeker then his, though she often goes barefoot when she can.

Description
She recently moved out of her parents house and into her first apartment in a small town a few miles away. She had undergone regular therapy prior to the move, but is down to only monthly visits with her psychiatrist. With the move, she will no longer be attending it. Jade is a bit of a mumbler, who tends to mesh her words together when nervous. Fairly down to earth, she is a soft spoken person with a tender side for both people and animals alike. Though with her condition, she struggles to show emotion.

Soldier

(Physical) Description:
He has somewhat messy hair that falls in tufts but spikes slightly at the ends. It is dark red with a hint of orange tone to it. He has fairly tan skin, with a large jagged scar on his left, upper arm. He wears the fitted brown boots of a soldier, clasped above his ankle. They go up slightly higher then Jade's more flat ones, as they help keep debris off his legs. He wears dark brown pants tucked into his boots and often is seen with a leather belt to keep them up. This has a small, silver clasp to keep it in place. His tunic is half sleeved and dark blue.

Description
He spends a great deal of time on patrol or outdoors. He grew weary of the endless fighting he is faced with and made set to flee to hide out in the town Jade had taken residence in. He is pretty tense, snippy, and tempered. He has a spirit about him that leaves the others in town wary of him.[/left]

__Side Characters__
Captain
role: Captain of the Guards

Description
He is in charge of running patrols for the local mayor to keep both the city and its people safe. When the soldier left without warning from the city, he was ordered to take a group to track down his whereabouts. As of yet, he and his soldiers have had no such luck.

Cedric
role: Soldier's elder brother

Description
He is also searching for the soldier. Though for what reason remains to be seen, as the soldier is directly trying to avoid him.

__Autism__
Though Jade's condition will be explained as the game goes on through the story, but for those wishing for an explaination now you may read up on it on Wikipedia - here. For more specifics on Asperger syndrome, please read more about it here and here, respectively.
__Currently Working On__
I am currently focusing on coding the menus with custom graphics, though I will try to finish the character sketches shortly.
Attachments
Jade concept
Jade concept
JADE - profile_picture_by_pugdoll-d7kjasq.png (66.03 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Last edited by PugDoll on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Broodelin
Regular
Completed: A Harder Battle
Projects: Too many to list

Re: (WIP) Burdened Hearts [Fantasy/Modern]

#2 Post by Broodelin »

This sounds pretty interesting. The interaction between these two people, one with autism and one with what I assume could be PTSD, could be incredibly compelling if you play your cards right.

I hope to see future updates on this project! :)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

As someone on the autism spectrum, I sincerely hope that the subject is treated with respect and sensitivity. That said, I'm truly interested to see what comes of this project.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

PugDoll
Projects: Burdened Hearts
Organization: Spiral Orchid

#4 Post by PugDoll »

Broodelin wrote:This sounds pretty interesting. The interaction between these two people, one with autism and one with what I assume could be PTSD, could be incredibly compelling if you play your cards right.

I hope to see future updates on this project! :)
Thank you for your interest. (= I will be updating within the next few days.

Mad Harlequin wrote:As someone on the autism spectrum, I sincerely hope that the subject is treated with respect and sensitivity. That said, I'm truly interested to see what comes of this project.
I will try to be careful to be respectful with both of those aspects in the writing. I am planning to tie in a little sense of realism by basing some of some aspects of my own life. I have Asperger Syndrome, and I have a friend who is also on the autism spectrum, so I will be drawing on those experiences a little. My uncle suffers from PTSD. I hope to be able to convey a bit of the reality of what someone may go through or the issues they might have, despite the bit of a fantasy setting.