Counting Sheep [Humor] [Action/Battle RPG] [Fantasy] GxB/GxG

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Lady-Cynic
Regular
Completed: Bobette: A KN that's horrible but at least complete
Projects: To Hell With Love: A G/G action game; Wendigo: A B/B horror game; Hannah's Humanity: A G/B KN about a girl making a choice; Counting Sheep: A mini RPG about a girl traveling with her sheep
Organization: Cynical Ghost Productions
IRC Nick: Lady-Cynic

Counting Sheep [Humor] [Action/Battle RPG] [Fantasy] GxB/GxG

#1 Post by Lady-Cynic »

I decided to make a thread for this game since it's the only one to survive the death of my computer. (To Hell with Love! had survived but I somehow managed to misplace my USB. ... Again.)

Anyways, on the game idea:
Crappy logo until otherwise. Thanks Internet~!
Crappy logo until otherwise. Thanks Internet~!
Counting.png (42.03 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
Counting Sheep

Summary: The shepherdess takes care of her flock, overseeing their well being as long as they can remember. But recently wolf-like creatures have been roaming the forest pathway between Nothensia and Froxen, and it’s up to the Shepherdess and her crew of misfit heroes to protect the flock. There's more to these wolves though, and the Sheep will stop at nothing to solve the mystery.

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

Rating: 10+

Estimated word count: 10K

ETA: 2014

Characters:

The Shepherdess: A mute girl who takes care of her sheep, she carries a giant wooden staff embedded with blades and will protect her flock no matter what. She’s pretty stubborn despite her inability to talk, and is known to stand perfectly still until she gets her way. Despite that, she’s a pretty calm and collected girl with a monotonous face. Her eyes, on the other hand, hold all her expressions. She strangely has light green hair.

The Disgraced Knight: He’s been kicked out of the castle’s knighthood, but never tells why. He loves telling stories of “the good old days,” and is more than a bit raunchy, but he’s a good guy at heart. He tends to butt heads with the Circus Manager, so the Tame Werewolf always has to step in and keep them in line. Romanceable Character

The Tame Werewolf: A werewolf who somehow managed to keep his humanity in tack, he’s afraid of hurting people, but he’s super loyal no matter what. He’s a bit on the slow side, but what he lacks in wit, he makes up in heart; a classic gentle giant.

The Circus Manager: A dark and mysterious woman, her rough and tumble attitude can be more than most people can handle. She lost her troupe in a werewolf raid, so she’s trying to find her circus, all while trying to settle an old score with an enemy she's been hunting her whole life. Romanceable Character

The Witch Queen: While the Shepherdess has light green hair, the Witch Queen has dark green hair like poison and ivy. She controls all the wolf creatures that have been running amuck, and seeks to kill the Shepherdess. But there’s more to the story than simple revenge.

The Sheep: The narrators of the story, they’re cute as well as smart as hell. They understand the Shepherdess perfectly, and work as a team to make her life easier, or in some cases, a little harder.
Tilly: A young sheep who's the main narrator of the story. Loves playing with the Tame Werewolf.
Thames: Tilly's older brother, he may or may not be harboring a wolf monster in the flock. Maybe...
Great Uncle Freddy: An old wizened sheep, he tells the tales of the Legendaries, god-like creatures who walked the earth a millenia ago and who were the creators of the sheep kind. He's not all there though, so take what he says with a grain of salt.
Apsel: A wolf that Thames finds in the forest on their way to Froxen. He was heavily wounded and Thames helped him get back on his feet. His pack was attacked by the wolf monsters and is off to go rescue his nephew. Thame's love interest, so the only for sure romance in this story will be from him.

The game will have RPG style battling system, and maybe short mini games thrown in there. It's not going to be very long, and most of the gameplay will be focused on the battles. Because RPG battles.

So if you somehow managed to survive that wall of text, here's some questions I have for you guys:

PROGRESS:
BG: 0/???
CG: 0/???
Sprites: 0/9?
Battle Sprites: 2/8?
Image Image
Special thanks to Morhigan for the wonderful battle sprites. Slowly but surely I shall commission them for all the battle sprites this game needs!
Chapters: 2/???
Coding (in chapters): 2/???

1) What artstyle would you feel would best fit this game? My current CG artist has a very shonen like style, but there are times when I think a more cutesy and moe style would fit. We're gonna go with cute since that's the general consensus and I think it fits the feel of the game much more. So here's a new question: Should the sheep (and eventually Apsel) battle?
2) What do you think about the game itself? Does it sound like something you may actually play?
3) Would you pay for this game (if it were for profit, it most likely would be a pay what you want sort of thing)?
4) Mini games: yea or nay?
5) How do you feel about sheep narrating the story rather than the main character?

EDIT: Added some concept art. Don't worry though; my shitty art won't be in the game.
Attachments
The Witch Queen
The Witch Queen
The Circus Manager
The Circus Manager
The Tame Werewolf
The Tame Werewolf
The Disgraced Knight
The Disgraced Knight
The Shepherdess
The Shepherdess
Last edited by Lady-Cynic on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
Architect in training!
Cynical Ghost Productions
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!
I prefer the pronouns xe, xem, xirself, etc., but what ever you use is cool with me.

dreamy
Regular
Organization: Cloud9 Dreams
Tumblr: fey-en

Re: Counting Sheep [Humor] [Action/Battle RPG] [Fantasy] GxB

#2 Post by dreamy »

The game sounds really cute. I also like the battle styled rpg part to it, it seems like it would make things more fun.
There are a few things I don't understand though. If I've got this correct then the shepherdess is trying to protect her flock from the wolves? Also, I wonder how the shepherdess communicates with others if she's mute. Do the sheep (other than narration) and wolves also communicate to others because according to the description it sounded like they do? Correct me if I'm wrong with any of these questions.

Oh and to answer your questions:
1) What artstyle would you feel would best fit this game? My current CG artist has a very shonen like style, but there are times when I think a more cutesy and moe style would fit.

I think a more cute artstyle will be better for the game since I can imagine all the sheeps and the werewolf look so in the game. Any artstyle should work though.

2) What do you think about the game itself? Does it sound like something you may actually play?

The storyline sounds really cute and I definitely like the rpg-style touch to it. It'll be interesting to see the sheeps narrate the story as well XD

3) Would you pay for this game (if it were for profit, it most likely would be a pay what you want sort of thing)

I guess it will depend on the pricing. The story itself sounds light so if it were to be priced then I don't think it would be too expensive.

4) Mini games: yea or nay?

Hell yeah! It would be fun since you can't find minigames lately!

) How do you feel about sheep narrating the story rather than the main character?

It sounds like an interesting idea. The sheep are around the shepherdess so there is alot that they can so and say during the story.

Overall, I wish you the best of luck with your project (and your computer problems :O) :D
"Listen to the silence, it's so blissful...
So calm down and listen..."

Lady-Cynic
Regular
Projects: To Hell With Love: A G/G action game; Wendigo: A B/B horror game; Hannah's Humanity: A G/B KN about a girl making a choice; Counting Sheep: A mini RPG about a girl traveling with her sheep

#3 Post by Lady-Cynic »

dreamy wrote:The game sounds really cute. I also like the battle styled rpg part to it, it seems like it would make things more fun.
There are a few things I don't understand though. If I've got this correct then the shepherdess is trying to protect her flock from the wolves? Also, I wonder how the shepherdess communicates with others if she's mute. Do the sheep (other than narration) and wolves also communicate to others because according to the description it sounded like they do? Correct me if I'm wrong with any of these questions.
I'm glad the game comes off as cute, because that's definitely the feel I was aiming for. :3 To answer your question, yes the Shepherdess wants to protect her flock from the wolves. Since she's mute, she communicates mainly with body movements, and sometimes with written notes. The sheep and wolves do communicate with everyone, but not with physically speaking (unless its with each other). They talk in more of a gestures type deal and by physically pointing things out when the rest of the heroes don't understand the Shepherdess.
Architect in training!
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!
I prefer the pronouns xe, xem, xirself, etc., but what ever you use is cool with me.

Marionette
Regular
Completed: https://marionette.itch.io/
Projects: Get Meowt of Here
Deviantart: rexx9224
itch: marionette
Discord: Marionette#2995

#4 Post by Marionette »

Please have sheeps that are at least this cute:

The game sounds pretty cute so its only right you have equally cute mascots. :33

Lady-Cynic
Regular

#5 Post by Lady-Cynic »

Marionette wrote:Please have sheeps that are at least this cute:

The game sounds pretty cute so its only right you have equally cute mascots. :33
Oh my God, that's literally what I had in mind for Tilly! Now I definitely have to have super cute anthro sheep in the game.
Architect in training!
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!

Lady-Cynic
Regular

#6 Post by Lady-Cynic »

UPDATE: Added concept art, battle sprites, and info for one more character, Apsel, to the first post.

Also, I have a new question to ask you guys. How do you feel about the sheep battling? As in they join the battle. It'd probably be only Tilly and Thames, and maybe one more sheep (their cousin maybe???), but I ask cos it seems like an interesting idea.
Architect in training!
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!

Lady-Cynic
Regular

#7 Post by Lady-Cynic »

Added the Disgraced Knight's battle sprite. Love how he came out. His design has always been one of my favorites.
Architect in training!
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!