My Monster [GxB, GxG, BxB] [Campy 90's/Romance/Comedy/Drama]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
MelodyKnighton
Regular
Projects: too many
Organization: Los Muertos Studios
Tumblr: MelodyKnighton

My Monster [GxB, GxG, BxB] [Campy 90's/Romance/Comedy/Drama]

#1 Post by MelodyKnighton »

I'm still deep into development for Allegro, but I'm slowly working on an idea for around Halloween since it's my 2nd favorite holiday (just after Dia De Los Muertos).

[Victoria Concept Art]

The Concept:

'My Monster' follows Victor or Victoria Frankenstein (You choose the gender).

The game will start off with your chosen character well into the mad scientist process of creating a monster. You'll be given several questions and your answers will determine which of the 5 monster types you will create (Vampire, Werewolf, Patchwork, Ghost or Mummy). You also get to choose your monster's gender, so that means GxB, GxG, and BxB are all playable options in the game! Yay!

This start off pretty cute but gets existential fast. Will you teach your monster to love and be loved? Will the pressure of playing God be too much, causing you to abandon your creation? Or will you use this abomination for evil and try to take over the world. Each path has some serious consequences.

Sure the monsters are all pretty dreamy, but they're still born out of your madness, so to speak, and have some serious flaws to cope with.

In addition to your monster, your lab assistant (female) and your rival (male) are also romance-able in the game.

The Style:

I want to go for a retro anime/manga meets pop art sort of feel since i'm a big fan of both. I loved the anime movie version of Metropolis and it's a big inspiration for this game in both style and theme.

All characters will represent a sort of highly stylized teen movie high school click stereotype.

Victor and Victoria (whichever you choose to play as) is fairly emo/goth as you would expect a modern day brooding mad scientist to be.

The vampires will be your wealthy preppy types. Dressed to the nines in designer clothes and perfectly groomed.

The werewolves will be your punk rocker type with a hint of 90's grunge.

The typical Frankenstein's monster will be very jockish with your classic letterman jackets.

The ghost option will be your hipster (they were dead BEFORE it was cool).

And to round it out you have your geeky Mummies.

In Summary:

It'll be pretty campy like a 90's teen movie but with a surprising amount of existential depth in the storyline. Like all my projects I want it to have plenty of diversity in race/gender/sexuality while not pandering.

Does this seem like something you'd want to play?

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: My Monster [GxB, GxG, BxB] [Campy 90's/Romance/Comedy/Dr

#2 Post by Googaboga »

Hehe this sounds absolutely fantastic. I'd be all over a game like this C:.

The concept for Victoria is super cute.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

nipaa_kazuma
Regular

#3 Post by nipaa_kazuma »

I'd love to play : its seems really interesting, original and to have all these possibilities ... it's great !
Good luck with this project !

Lady-Cynic
Regular
Completed: Bobette: A KN that's horrible but at least complete
Projects: To Hell With Love: A G/G action game; Wendigo: A B/B horror game; Hannah's Humanity: A G/B KN about a girl making a choice; Counting Sheep: A mini RPG about a girl traveling with her sheep
Organization: Cynical Ghost Productions
IRC Nick: Lady-Cynic

#4 Post by Lady-Cynic »

Dios mio this sounds like a great VN to play! I'm all over this game because cute characters, supernatural, and the dark theme of existentialism is possibly the greatest combination ever.
Architect in training!
Cynical Ghost Productions
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!
I prefer the pronouns xe, xem, xirself, etc., but what ever you use is cool with me.

kitsubasa
Regular
Projects: Inverness Nights
Tumblr: kitsubasa

#5 Post by kitsubasa »

Oh man, mad scientist/monster game with GxG options? I'm in love! And the retro anime style is really cool-- since you're citing Metropolis as an influence this is probably a given, but the eyes remind me a lot of classic Osamu Tezuka shojo eyes. I like the sound of 90s preppy vampires, too, and punk rock werewolves.

All up this is an awesome concept and I would play it in a heartbeat. One thing I'm wondering, would all the monsters have the same dialogue/routes, or would there be a different story for each monster? I mean, depending on the way you go, they could all fit under the same route without much issue from the sound of things (if it's just a creator/creation mediation story) but it'd also be interesting to see different problems come up depending on whether you've made a ghost or a vampire or what have you. : O

MelodyKnighton
Regular
Projects: too many
Organization: Los Muertos Studios
Tumblr: MelodyKnighton

#6 Post by MelodyKnighton »

The overarching plot will be the same (aka what you do with your monster once they are created) but each monster type has different subplots.

For example, if you make a vampire you'll need to deal with their blood lust. Do you let them feed from you, do you teach them to hunt safely without killing their victims, or do you get dark and start kidnapping people for them to feed off of and possibly kill.

It all goes hand in hand with developing your character's moral compass and thus the ending you get after all is said and done.

So having main story choices to make, as well as subplots, 3 romance-able characters per playthrough and choosing not only your gender but also your monsters', it should allow for 30-40 very different playthroughs and countless more subtle variation ones, so lots of reply value. : )

I'm glad people are interested in the idea. It'll motivate me to work hard on getting my current game going so I can tackle this one soon.