Lost & Found [Updated 6/14/15!]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

Re: Lost & Found - A Dog's Life [Survival, Comedy, Free]

#16 Post by sasquatchii »

Ok, so after Dog I started on Angry Man- and decided to make him look less like a viking and more like a tough body guard type. (Sorry to all of those who liked the viking look)

Ran08 wrote: 2. What do you think of flat, vector art? Would it turn you off and discourage you from wanting to play the game?
Oh my gosh, no! As a matter of fact, I love it. :") I don't know, I find art like this really refreshing and cute. Although I do hope that you'll be making the backgrounds as well...? It can be pretty hard to match this art with a pre-made BG. :) It's still beautiful nonetheless.
Glad to see a fellow animal lover that helps strays! You are awesome.
As for the backgrounds, yes, I will be doing them all myself. It will take more time, obviously, but I think making them myself will be worth it so the art in the game all looks cohesive.
ArachneJericho wrote: 4. What do you think of this being a survival type game where you have to keep Dog's hunger & thirst meters up?

Can I turn that part off?
I love this idea! Honestly, a big reason I wanted to work survival type elements into the game was so I could get a feel for the way stats work, which I'd also like to include in future games.

But I think giving the players an option to turn it off if they just want to play for the story would be great! It will probably take me a while to figure out how to do it, but it's definitely doable! Thanks for the idea :)
ImageImage

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#17 Post by Ran08 »

sasquatchii wrote:
Ran08 wrote: 2. What do you think of flat, vector art? Would it turn you off and discourage you from wanting to play the game?
Oh my gosh, no! As a matter of fact, I love it. :") I don't know, I find art like this really refreshing and cute. Although I do hope that you'll be making the backgrounds as well...? It can be pretty hard to match this art with a pre-made BG. :) It's still beautiful nonetheless.
Glad to see a fellow animal lover that helps strays! You are awesome.
As for the backgrounds, yes, I will be doing them all myself. It will take more time, obviously, but I think making them myself will be worth it so the art in the game all looks cohesive.
Haha, aww. <3
And yay! :) That means they will match, and that means they will look more awesome together. Hahaha. Good luck with those!

Also, the Angry Man is so cute. HAHA. :D

ArachneJericho
Regular
Projects: Kaguya Hime
Tumblr: mousedeerproductions

#18 Post by ArachneJericho »

sasquatchii wrote:
ArachneJericho wrote: 4. What do you think of this being a survival type game where you have to keep Dog's hunger & thirst meters up?

Can I turn that part off?
I love this idea! Honestly, a big reason I wanted to work survival type elements into the game was so I could get a feel for the way stats work, which I'd also like to include in future games.

But I think giving the players an option to turn it off if they just want to play for the story would be great! It will probably take me a while to figure out how to do it, but it's definitely doable! Thanks for the idea :)
I was thinking about this, and how I would achieve it is this:

- Suppose that your survival counters all need to be kept above a certain level (even if it's just above 0).

- Then, to turn off the survival feature, set all survival counters to infinity. Python has a way to do this:

Code: Select all

float("inf")
will create a special value that can be used in most computations, such as adding, subtracting, and comparison. Adding or subtracting anything to/from inf will always result in inf; and inf is always greater than any number.

- You might as well turn off accessing the screen with all the meters (if you provide one) since they won't render correctly.

^_^ That's one way.

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by sasquatchii »

ArachneJericho wrote: I was thinking about this, and how I would achieve it is this:

- Suppose that your survival counters all need to be kept above a certain level (even if it's just above 0).

- Then, to turn off the survival feature, set all survival counters to infinity. Python has a way to do this:

Code: Select all

float("inf")
will create a special value that can be used in most computations, such as adding, subtracting, and comparison. Adding or subtracting anything to/from inf will always result in inf; and inf is always greater than any number.

- You might as well turn off accessing the screen with all the meters (if you provide one) since they won't render correctly.

^_^ That's one way.
Wow- thank you for telling me about this way!! Right now I am a Ren'Py beginner, and have only gotten so far as to finishing the basic tutorial, + downloading and peeking at the DSE framework. I have also looked at a few other people's games out of curiosity.

I can see myself attempting this and having trouble- would you mind if I messaged you with a question or two once I attempt to do this? Of course me coding these things will probably be in a few months.. as I still have all of the plotting and writing and illustrating to do!
ImageImage

ArachneJericho
Regular
Projects: Kaguya Hime
Tumblr: mousedeerproductions

#20 Post by ArachneJericho »

sasquatchii wrote: Wow- thank you for telling me about this way!! Right now I am a Ren'Py beginner, and have only gotten so far as to finishing the basic tutorial, + downloading and peeking at the DSE framework. I have also looked at a few other people's games out of curiosity.

I can see myself attempting this and having trouble- would you mind if I messaged you with a question or two once I attempt to do this? Of course me coding these things will probably be in a few months.. as I still have all of the plotting and writing and illustrating to do!
I don't mind helping at all! :) I like to help, especially in the name of a VN that I like the idea of so much. I am patient, so no worries---and I am myself preoccupied with my own VN!

pocoscon
Regular
Projects: Black Lotus(Hitatus), Lethal Love,

#21 Post by pocoscon »

1- I like the idea. It's really cute, and I think it'll make for a good game. It's nice to see a non-romantic game, and jut have a nice story, especially one about a cute dog. I know I'm going to cry if I get a bad ending :( .

2- No. I love the style and it's really unique. Also, the Dog looks super cute, and makes me want to hug him :D .The art won't turn me off either. You've done a good job with it :)

3- I love the Dog and the Butcher. The Cat seems so cruel, yet I think many funny scenes could come from him. Also, the Food Lady seems nice. Hope he goes with her :)

4- Though I suck at that, I think it would make the game much more fun :mrgreen: .

So those are my thoughts, and I am really excited to play this. It'll be a good game, so i wish you the best of luck with finishing it :)

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by sasquatchii »

Worked on Mr. Kitty today.

I think he turned out a little creepy/evil/maniacal- which isn't what I initially intended to do, but I'm totally okay with it because it sort of suits him. (I don't think it helped that I decided to listen to 'Be Prepared' from the lion king on loop while I worked on him.)
ArachneJericho wrote:I don't mind helping at all! :) I like to help, especially in the name of a VN that I like the idea of so much. I am patient, so no worries---and I am myself preoccupied with my own VN!
Yay! Thank you :) Besides bothering the Ren'Py questions board, I will definitely take you up on this! (But I will try my best to figure things out before bugging you)
pocoscon wrote:1- I like the idea. It's really cute, and I think it'll make for a good game. It's nice to see a non-romantic game, and jut have a nice story, especially one about a cute dog. I know I'm going to cry if I get a bad ending :( .

4- Though I suck at that, I think it would make the game much more fun :mrgreen: .

So those are my thoughts, and I am really excited to play this. It'll be a good game, so i wish you the best of luck with finishing it :)
Hey pocoson, thanks for sharing! I'm glad to hear that you like the concept :)

Since this is my first game, I don't think I'm going to make the survival part too intense or anything. Just something to keep in mind as part of the game play, as food is key to Dog's survival- and it's always on his mind. And I'm also going to be working on a feature that enables you to turn it off if you'd like to!
ImageImage

Yokura
Regular
Tumblr: yokudraws
Deviantart: yokura

#23 Post by Yokura »

Aaaahh It's so darn CUTE. I'm going to stick this on my watched threads list. Does it work that way? *checks control panel* Yup! Can't wait to play it, or a demo. Or anything!

Onwards to useful commentary!

1. How do you like the concept/story?
I love it. It feels very simple, lighthearted but completely able to be serious. Feels really easy to pick up and understand fully.

2. What do you think of flat, vector art? Would it turn you off and discourage you from wanting to play the game?
I love the vector art, it makes a huge impact on the atmosphere of the game. And I think it's absolutely perfect.

3. Which characters sound interesting to you and why?
Interested in how all of them interact honestly. Although, I am curious to see how exactly the dog interacts with Mr. Kitty Lolol.

4. What do you think of this being a survival type game where you have to keep Dog's hunger & thirst meters up?
Sounds good to me! Doesn't feel like it would hurt the game any if it wasn't included at all. But it would definitely be icing on the cake as an option.

cometgears

#24 Post by cometgears »

Ohhh I really want to play this! Omg, Dog, I know you'll be able to find your forever-home!!

2. What do you think of flat, vector art? Would it turn you off and discourage you from wanting to play the game?
It's actually an attraction, not a turn-off. I like how the sprites look, and very interested to see what the backgrounds will be like.

I like Angry Meat Man. I hope he has a big role. I can imagine becoming very fond of Food Lady too, especially after I get to see her give me/Dog food and tummy rubs.

4. What do you think of this being a survival type game where you have to keep Dog's hunger & thirst meters up?
I think it could be fun, depending on how it's done. Hoping there would be a few different ways to raise them.

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by sasquatchii »

I worked on Food Lady a bit!!
And she's brought bacon!
Yokura wrote: Interested in how all of them interact honestly. Although, I am curious to see how exactly the dog interacts with Mr. Kitty Lolol.
I'm so glad you like it! As far as interactivity goes, all of the choices in the game will be action-based choices instead of dialogue. (As the humans cannot understand what Dog is thinking, even though he understands what they're saying and how they're feeling most of the time) I think the dynamic between Dog and Mr. K will be more playful than mean, as Mr. Kitty is extremely smart and loves mind games.
cometgears wrote:2. What do you think of flat, vector art? Would it turn you off and discourage you from wanting to play the game?
It's actually an attraction, not a turn-off. I like how the sprites look, and very interested to see what the backgrounds will be like.
Thank you for the compliment on the sprites! I've never done character design or anything like this before so it's awesome to hear that people actually enjoy what I've made!
ImageImage

Xerofit51
Veteran
Completed: Freak-quency, Harvest-Moon spin off
Projects: Freak-quency
Deviantart: xerofit51

#26 Post by Xerofit51 »

Questions

1. I really like the concept! it sounds very interesting and unique (I can play something not as human so yeah great!)
2. I like it and as long as the style is consistent like that I don't mind
3. Sneaky, because I like antagonists with glasses :v and he's a cat?
4. I think you should add it. But perhaps add a disable option for those who don't like? if it's not a hassle to you to code of course

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#27 Post by AsHLeX »

Cookie! :D That seems familiar somewhat ^^"
Yay~ Love the concept of the story :D Can't wait for it to come out.
Good luck!!!
New demo out 24/12/23!!

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by sasquatchii »

Here's a rough draft of what I'd like Cookie to look like. Don't worry, she's not dead, just accident prone.

I also started roughing out the background for Angry Meat Man's deli! The backgrounds in this game are going to be very simple so the character sprites can stand out.

Xerofit51 wrote: 1. I really like the concept! it sounds very interesting and unique (I can play something not as human so yeah great!)
3. Sneaky, because I like antagonists with glasses :v and he's a cat?
Awesome, so glad you like it!! And I'm glad that there's a Sneaky fan! He is going to pretty much be the bane of Dog's existence and a huge motivation for Dog's search for a companion/best friend.
AsHLeX wrote:Cookie! :D That seems familiar somewhat ^^"
Yay~ Love the concept of the story :D Can't wait for it to come out.
Good luck!!!
Thank you!! That makes me insanely happy to hear. I have been working on this at a slow but steady pace :)
ImageImage

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

Re: Lost & Found - A Dog's Life [Slice of Life, Comedy, Free

#29 Post by AsHLeX »

Take your time! :D But i'll be looking forward to it! Love the art style and the backgrounds :D And you don't often get a plot from an animal's POV. :D
All the best and good luck :)
New demo out 24/12/23!!

meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

Re: Lost & Found - A Dog's Life [Slice of Life, Comedy, Free

#30 Post by meiri »

It's an extremely creative idea, and definitely a unique spin.

Nope. It's unique and fitting to the game.

Particularly Cookie. The fact that she incidentally gives him chocolate makes her a very realistic character, and I'm interested to see how Dog's interactions with her are like. :)

4. What do you think of this being an open & more loosely structure game where you get to choose where and how you spend your day?
I like it. It makes it realistic and more intriguing. The fact that you have to make sure he doesn't get too hungry or thirsty helps add to the fact that he/she/it is a dog.

I like animals, (despite the fact they don't seem to like me) so I'm glad to see when this comes out!
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?