Knowing [fantasy, suspense, free] *ALPHA FOR DOWNLOAD 24/01*

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Eight Rooks
Regular
Projects: Mirt (chapter one)
Tumblr: therookshavereturned
Deviantart: EightRooks

Re: Knowing [fantasy, suspense, free] *ALPHA COMPLETE 22/01*

#16 Post by Eight Rooks »

Three people is three more than I was expecting, so...

This should be the MediaFire link for a .zip of the Windows version of the alpha?

I've run through it a couple of times and I'm fairly sure there are no bugs (missing or incorrect lines in the script etc.). Just... anyone who does actually download it, again, please be aware:
  • - The story, at the moment, is basically the same every time; you're just picking the response you want to give/the approach you want to take. This adds to one of four counters which determine the version of the ending you get. They just add +1 every time, so you can probably break the game that way!
    - The responses, at the moment, are always in order, more or less. Pick the bottom response every time, you'll get the best ending. Pick the top, the worst (and a couple of times the bad endings).
    - You're basically going to be clicking a few thousand times, staring at the same few dumb static pictures and listening to the same recordings of half-assed tribal drumming driving you nuts. :oops: (Just trying to keep anyone's expectations suitably low!)
    - I haven't turned off developer tools or anything else. If you want to cheat or pick it apart or whatever, go nuts. I can't stop you.
    - All I did was the writing. The art and music, to the best of my knowledge, are all public domain/CC. (Pictures are credited, music is not at the moment.)
If you're good with all that, download away. Tell me if you liked it: tell me if it bored you rigid, offended you, or anything in between. I can take it! But hopefully if you're brave enough to give it a shot, you'll get something out of it.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Knowing [fantasy, suspense, free] *ALPHA FOR DOWNLOAD 24

#17 Post by YossarianIII »

Hey, I finally downloaded it and had a chance to work my way through the beginning.

As I said earlier, I really like the setting and concept, and I think those are strong points.

If you're looking to make edits, the main issue I notice (and you may already plan on addressing this) is that in its present state, the story feels less like a visual novel and more like... a novel novel. I'm not talking about the lack of art (which is fine for a demo)--I mean the writing itself feels more like prose than dialogue. Most noticeable is the way Bikay keeps saying "he/she said" after every line of dialogue by a different character. That's the type of thing that makes perfect sense in a 1st-person novel but looks a little unnatural when the dialogue is already tagged with character names--imagine the narrator of a movie adding "he said" after all the dialogue! Reading a text-heavy visual novel is actually in a lot of ways more similar to reading the script of a play than a novel.

Oh, and did you know you can adjust the default text speed? The default is 100%, but most games generally change the default to be somewhere in the middle since that's a speed most video game players are familiar with.

As I said, cool ideas with the plot and everything. This goes not just for the African setting but for the approach to fantasy, which is different than the standard formula (in a good way). You mentioned you were worried about accidentally being offensive, but I didn't personally notice anything like that.

Those are my thoughts, anyway. Hope at least some of it was helpful and best of luck as you move toward completion!

Image Image

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Knowing [fantasy, suspense, free] *ALPHA FOR DOWNLOAD 24

#18 Post by Mad Harlequin »

YossarianIII wrote:Most noticeable is the way Bikay keeps saying "he/she said" after every line of dialogue by a different character. That's the type of thing that makes perfect sense in a 1st-person novel but looks a little unnatural when the dialogue is already tagged with character names--imagine the narrator of a movie adding "he said" after all the dialogue! Reading a text-heavy visual novel is actually in a lot of ways more similar to reading the script of a play than a novel.
I think this is intentional. Bikay is recounting past experiences, after all. Perhaps it would read better without the Ren'Py dialogue tags.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain