The Town Called Data [Sim][Humor][Fantasy] (Reposted in WIP)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
iamwhatonearth
Regular
Projects: The Town Called Data
Tumblr: iamwhatonearth
Deviantart: whatonearth

The Town Called Data [Sim][Humor][Fantasy] (Reposted in WIP)

#1 Post by iamwhatonearth »

This thread will no longer be updated, comment here instead: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=28781

Description: What if your drawings had a mind of their own? What would they think of their creator and how would they view life? This is the questionable tale of a character’s self discovery.

Setting:
The idea for this game is that there is a town within every digital artist’s computer where their drawings are alive. The drawings act as what they’re meant to represent. For example, house drawings act as inanimate objects in the town but human drawings think and move. There is a religion in this town where they worship the creator as The Great Creator. However, the characters have varying ideas on how closely the deity should be followed and how to approach life. The artist does know that this happens but doesn’t directly interact with the town other than adding in items such as statues. Since this is my story, I am represented as the Great Creator in this case. There will be statues of me scattered throughout town.

Plot:
You will be playing as Untitled. She is a bit lost in life and finding herself. You will pick what events she does and dialog now and then. Ultimately, you will pick what her resolution is to approaching life. However, the plot is not especially emphasized other than at the beginning and end of the game. There will be small scenes that refer to the plot and develop it but the main goal of this game is getting a slice of life sort of game. It’s meant to be humorous and mostly light hearted. Most of the game will deal with interacting with the town and your friends. Right now, I’m planning to make it two weeks of her life but that might change later.

Gameplay:
Most days you will be given a choice between two major activities and many smaller dialog ones. This is not a stat building game. There are some options you won’t see if you didn’t pick the right event but outside of each day your choices won’t influence how the game plays out. I have designed the game so that all the events that are referenced to later are mandatory, so you won’t be confused when someone talks about something that happened you didn’t play through. At the end of the game, you will be given a choice that will completely decide which of the three endings you get.

Character Art: 2 completed, 2 mostly completed, expressions will need to be drawn later
Script: 3,000 words/???? words
Backgrounds: 4 completed, 1 mostly completed, the rest are not started yet
Coding: 1 minute of gameplay/??? minutes of gameplay

Untitled is the main protagonist. I designed her to have a little personality but also be normal enough to be a self-insert character. Her name is a play on the idea of being an under developed character and also being a self-insert. She is a little lost in life. She doesn’t have any large problems to cause this. She has a comfortable life but she wonders if it’s enough and also what approach she should take to life in general. She works a part time job at a pet store one day a week. She will develop more personality as the story progresses.

Ivy is one of her best friends. Ivy is a free spirit but is a bit short tempered and cocky. She often gets annoyed at Sam and Daniel for not taking things seriously enough. She loves pastries to a fault and works at a bakery one day a week. She also enjoys cute things but prefers things a bit more quirky as opposed to typical cuteness. You won’t catch her dead in pink!

Sam is one of her best friends. Sam is a bit lazy and laid back. He isn’t very emotional and doesn’t say much. He takes life lightly and says it’s not good to take yourself too seriously. He can often be caught zoning out and day dreaming but he’s reliable when it matters. He works at the toy store one day a week.

Daniel is one of her best friends. Daniel is the most religious of the bunch. He enjoys partaking in worship activities and occasionally thanks the Great Creator for the good things in his life. It can be difficult to tell whether or not his joking since his demeanor rarely changes. You could say he’s always and never serious. He is very calm and composed. He doesn’t take himself that seriously and likes to mess around in his own way. Daniel is the most dependable of the three friends. He works on day a week at the library.

Here are the first 3 backgrounds for the game. (Added 10/8)
This is about the quality all of the backgrounds will be. Leaving them a little sketchy to save time and make the project seem less daunting to finish.
Image Image Image

I've never made one of these games before so tips, suggestions, and whatnot are all welcome. c:
Last edited by iamwhatonearth on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.

iamwhatonearth
Regular

Re: The Town Called Data [Sim][Humor][Fantasy] (Updated 9/19

#2 Post by iamwhatonearth »

ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#3 Post by Katta »

Well, there's not very much to comment on imo. So your general idea is that files on your computer have a life of their own and how it can go, right? Then I think it'll be more interesting if there were all sorts of files, not only drawings and they could interact in some way, it'd be cool if it was much more cyberpunky. Because for now I don't see from your post how you plan to actually implement the idea about computer - it just looks like there're 4 friends and there would be some story with them.

iamwhatonearth
Regular

#4 Post by iamwhatonearth »

Katta wrote:Well, there's not very much to comment on imo. So your general idea is that files on your computer have a life of their own and how it can go, right? Then I think it'll be more interesting if there were all sorts of files, not only drawings and they could interact in some way, it'd be cool if it was much more cyberpunky. Because for now I don't see from your post how you plan to actually implement the idea about computer - it just looks like there're 4 friends and there would be some story with them.
Ah, I guess I could had wrote more. The idea is that this is a self referential type of game. So although everything in the game is a drawing, the idea is that these are all the drawings interacting. I'm partly drawing inspiration from this game called Weapon Shop de Ommase where they would have things like npcs say "Well back to pacing aimlessly around town". So mostly its that self referential humor that will work in how the town is actually drawings.

The area will look like a town. I was thinking of something cute and fun like maybe Harvest Moon inspired. I'll make the construction sites look like wips to make it more obvious the town isn't real. Then as the game progresses I'll draw more in the construction sites. Like at first it could be just guidelines.

Well the story is a work in progress but there isn't a huge overlying plot so I wasn't sure what to say about it. I was thinking there were too many stories that rely on fighting and drama to be interesting so I wanted to stay away from that. The best way to explain the overall plot would be that you are getting the playable character to chose a ideology to live her life with since she is a little lost. But I'm not emphasizing that a ton. Mostly I want the game to be like casual play and you just make choices and watch stuff happen.

Like day to day life. I have already planned a way to make it cohesive and I already outlined the ending so it won't just end randomly for no reason. Haha. And I think that it shouldn't feel too pointless to play because the story will develop and you'll get to know the characters.

Steampunk isn't a bad idea but I'm not going to do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yay, comment. Haha.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#5 Post by Katta »

Well, of course everything is up to you, it's just my opinion that if the plot is about people living a daily life then how is it important that they're not real people but drawings? From your explanations it seems that it'll be that they understand they're drawings and depend fully on their creator, I think I'll like the type of humour that'll come with that but still it'll be good if the idea plays some part in the overall plot too, to make it even more different from a usual slice-of-life.
Cyberpunk is not the same as steampunk.

iamwhatonearth
Regular

#6 Post by iamwhatonearth »

Katta wrote:Well, of course everything is up to you, it's just my opinion that if the plot is about people living a daily life then how is it important that they're not real people but drawings? From your explanations it seems that it'll be that they understand they're drawings and depend fully on their creator, I think I'll like the type of humour that'll come with that but still it'll be good if the idea plays some part in the overall plot too, to make it even more different from a usual slice-of-life.
Cyberpunk is not the same as steampunk.
Yeah, its kinda like that. I'm also throwing in a religious element. Since the artist (well me in this case, haha, I'm going to put statues of myself around town as idols) is their creator they worship their creator as a god. Its pretty popular these days to argue about whether you should follow god. In this world they would obviously know god does exist since things are created for them regularly but they can chose whether to follow the god or not. That's part of the ideology thing I was talking about.

Oh, I googled it. So its more futuristic? It looks cool but it doesn't match my vision of the game. XD