Witching Tower [Magic Academy][GxB/G/X][2 DEC]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
konett
Regular
Projects: White Lie, Witching Tower, Tropichu!
Tumblr: cosmickonett
Deviantart: konett
itch: konett

Re: Witching Tower [Magic Academy][GxB/G]

#16 Post by konett »

Seigetsu wrote:I really like both the art and the concept. It's really nice to see a game with a GxG option in addition to the GxB option of most otome games. I'm curious to know whether the character paths would have romance endings or friendship endings or multiple endings associated with them. Also, would this be a free release or would you take it commercial? Either way, good luck with it and I'm really looking forward to seeing updates from you.
Thanks! I will try to shoot for a variation of endings. I'm hoping for both romance and friendship, but we'll see how it pans out.
I'm want to make this my first commercial release, though. I have to gather some funds to hire others for aspects I'm not that good at, but I really want to turn this into something that's worth spending money on.

I tried my hand at the UI, but I still have to make some sketches for it.
This is the Skill Progress Menu. You have to train each skill you learn.
The skills here are Sunlight(Charm), Spirit Light(Spirit), Raise(Necromancy), Gaze(Divination), Water(Manipulation), Bottle Crafting(Concoction)

Also included is a variation on the MC sprite. Outfit suggestions are welcome!

EDIT:

Made a small compilation of the MC sprite options.

daijinahito
Regular
Projects: Siren's Plea & A+ Switch!

#17 Post by daijinahito »

Oh, so you want her to have the choice to be able to re-enter the classes later on? That's a nice option, but I'm wondering what kind of differentiating story lines you'd have based on the decision to re-enter or stay out of it.

By the way, love the tan MC with blonde hair. She's super adorable.

konett
Regular

#18 Post by konett »

daijinahito wrote:Oh, so you want her to have the choice to be able to re-enter the classes later on? That's a nice option, but I'm wondering what kind of differentiating story lines you'd have based on the decision to re-enter or stay out of it.

By the way, love the tan MC with blonde hair. She's super adorable.
I'll try to make it as interesting as I can regarding the school issue, haha. It will open up more interaction with specific characters, and speed up learning certain spells. It gives the MC an edge exam-wise, but may have a negative effect on learning other magics, and lessen interaction with other characters.

Thanks! I like her the most so far, myself. But each part is interchangeable, and I haven't been able to mix and match all of them yet myself.

A bunch of potion ingredients for Concoction Spells and more MC variation.
She now has a standard of 6 natural skintones and 18 different hair colours.
I'm really glad I made the design decision to go for solid black lines, it makes the variations a lot easier to make.

I feel like I've made a lot of progress these last 4 days;;
The MC sprite with a bunch of variations for each part (skin, hair -bangs and back-, clothes and hats)
3 Character Sprites
3 Backgrounds
3 Character Profiles with the included icons and UI aspects
7 Skill Icons
16 Items

I never do this many things within this little time, normally I don't even do this much in 2 weeks, so I'm a bit surprised.

konett
Regular

Re: Witching Tower [Magic Academy][GxB/G][4 NOV]

#19 Post by konett »

I worked a bit on the UI today. I like where it's headed.
The save-load-menu on the right side will be Skip-Auto-Back.
Although I'm not sure on the Back part, since it didn't really work in other simulation games I programmed.
I need to put some more fonts and graphics in.

Image Image
Image Image

Also the nametag for the dialogue; I want to hand write all the names like in the mock-ups from above.
But the issue is input names. I can make a font in the same style and add outlines, but I'm not sure if it would look as good.

I made same good strides in the outline department of the main story. That feels nice, haha. It's more reassuring.

smallstar
Projects: birdie, catch me

#20 Post by smallstar »

The art and character designs look amazing! I love stat raising games and spooky backdrops so I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this.

konett
Regular

#21 Post by konett »

smallstar wrote:The art and character designs look amazing! I love stat raising games and spooky backdrops so I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this.
Thanks C: I'm really into spookycute stuff, so this is pretty much me indulging.

I made sketches for 4 bases for side characters.
I tested one. I also experimented with how the Spirits should look, but I haven't decided yet.

konett
Regular

Re: Witching Tower [Magic Academy][GxB/G][5 NOV]

#22 Post by konett »

I've worked a bit on the story, and started a few backgrounds.
Bellow a finished. This game has a lot of bedrooms, haha.

writinggg
Regular

Re: Witching Tower [Magic Academy][GxB/G][8 NOV]

#23 Post by writinggg »

Oh Thank God! I can change my player character's skin color! You don't know how much I LOVE that! Also, I hope there is GxG options as well as GxB!

konett
Regular

Re: Witching Tower [Magic Academy][GxB/G][8 NOV]

#24 Post by konett »

writinggg wrote:Oh Thank God! I can change my player character's skin color! You don't know how much I LOVE that! Also, I hope there is GxG options as well as GxB!
Changing skin colour is an absolute must for me. I wanted to add changeable features and maybe body types too, but that would be a bit too much work next to everything else. The body type thing I definitely want to look at when all the other assets are done though!

There will be GxG, GxB and one relationship where the gender of the partner will not be defined. (I'm not sure if this will be agender or genderfluid, since not all the characters are defined yet.) But not all relationships will be romantic or sexual, though.

Going a lot slower because of school, but I made some progress.

I made a few more items that the player can use with magic and make potions out of.
Also preview mannequin for the clothes shop.

I tried to do something with the character creation screen.
I'm not sure about the left section, but the right section is pretty much how I want it to be.
At the beginning the player can only choose from a limited amount of hairstyles, outfits and misc.
Later in the game the player can get more by buying them or doing quests. (or in case of the hair, get it cut/magic)
I'm thinking of also limiting the hair colours to only naturals in the creation menu (top row), and have the other options be available by making them with concoction magic.

This shop is taking super long because of all the details.
This is one of the two most elaborate BGs, next to the Tower.
The shop is a place to buy/order clothes and items and sell things you can pick up during quests and battles.

I want the quest system to be more character related. That helping the people around the village will get you rewards and invisible relationship points. I don't want it to be an issue of 'Do you accept this quest?', but more like the player wont know if they are on a quest of not until they get the achievement notice and the rewards. If that makes any sense.

I don't like having relationships grow only during key scenes or with "talk to this character" options, so this seems a lot more fun to me. It will be more work, but it will also be more interesting between sections of story, since it is a simulation game and all, and depending on how people play it, it could end up in stat/relationship grinding, which is something I like less about sim games.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Witching Tower [Magic Academy][GxB/G/X][2 DEC]

#25 Post by Googaboga »

This sounds fantastic, I love games with stat raising and I love games with inhuman characters X].

The quest system you have planned sounds very interesting and unique C:.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

pyla8

#26 Post by pyla8 »

This looks great. The art's so cute. Are there any progress updates or is this just an idea? Is Dec 2 a release date or...?

And oh my god character creation! I love character creation! It's pretty much the only way I get to play a character who looks like me (well, a much better me given how beautiful your characters and art are) and are you open to non-straight hairstyles? Or hairstyle. I've noticed the waves, but...yeah. Dear god in heaven please please tell me this is still a thing and that it will happen very soon. And stats!! This is promising. This is very very promising. I've noticed this is on your projects list, so...hopefully not abandoned?

I am going to spend a longer time than is probably respectable mooning over what you've posted her.

konett
Regular

#27 Post by konett »

pyla8 wrote:This looks great. The art's so cute. Are there any progress updates or is this just an idea? Is Dec 2 a release date or...?

And oh my god character creation! I love character creation! It's pretty much the only way I get to play a character who looks like me (well, a much better me given how beautiful your characters and art are) and are you open to non-straight hairstyles? Or hairstyle. I've noticed the waves, but...yeah. Dear god in heaven please please tell me this is still a thing and that it will happen very soon. And stats!! This is promising. This is very very promising. I've noticed this is on your projects list, so...hopefully not abandoned?

I am going to spend a longer time than is probably respectable mooning over what you've posted her.
Thank you! This is still being worked on, but my other game Tropichu! Is taking priority right now. The 2 Dec was the date I last updated the thread with any progress made.

I am defintely addding some more variations with the hairstyles. Im asing more curly and Im for sure adding kinky and natural styles hairstyles. And propably some braids and dreads. I wouldn't want to leave out my own hair texture, so it's a definite must. I feel like a lot of games that have character creators don't have or only have 1 natural hairstyle. And then its only an afro 9/10 times and that's pretty sad. I only have intimate knowledge about my mom and mines textures and the styles we've had, so I have to do more research.

On the same note, if anyone haa suggestions about hairstyles or clothes please link to a ref and I'll see what I can do. I want to have 20 variations for each part of the sprite. (Hats-front, hair_front, ourfits, hair-back) plus a smaller amount of things like freckles, tattoos and scars.

Since the Event illustrations wont feature the protagonist, I'm frew to add whatever I want.

The next thing I want to do with this project is talk atory with a writer, since;right now its only a bunch of ideas meshed together.

I'm sorry if this post if all over the place, I haven't slept in a while.

Charlie599
Regular
Projects: (letters of) Devotion; Afterland

#28 Post by Charlie599 »

I'm looking forward to this release! XD Omw, I love the art *-* And the theme!

n0tgin
Regular

#29 Post by n0tgin »

Oh my... This looks amazing!!!
I love fantasy school settings and cute girls, you had me at 'academy'!!
The art is so charming and... different, I guess? Wow, it just wooed me right off the bat!

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#30 Post by Rinima »

I could have sworn I'd posted on this...

Anyway! This look's amazing! I love the art style :3 *officially stalking*
Pronouns: They/them or He/him