Witching Tower [Magic Academy][GxB/G/X][2 DEC]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
konett
Regular
Projects: White Lie, Witching Tower, Tropichu!
Tumblr: cosmickonett
Deviantart: konett
itch: konett

Witching Tower [Magic Academy][GxB/G/X][2 DEC]

#1 Post by konett »

WITCHING TOWER
working title
████ Introduction
    • You’re a witch. Your mom’s a witch, your gram was a witch and even your dad’s aunt’s mother was a witch. You are also certain that uncle Terence donned the witch cloak before transitioning to wizard. So yes, you are a witch.

Kinda.

You’re pretty sure that all the witches before you didn't get booted our the Grand Maester Kaelro’s tower on the first day of learning witchcraft. Well, to hell with him! You’re just going to have get other magical and supernatural beings to teach you their secrets. Your town is full of them! Surely some of them are willing to help you out.

Right?
      Just to be sure, let’s start with gram’s ghost at the cemetery, okay?
████ Asset Screenshots
    • ImageImage
      ImageImage
      ImageImage
      ImageImage
      ImageImage

████ Characters
        • The MC (customizable) is from a family of witches and wizards and they all expect her to get her certificate.
          After an accident during the first day of classes occurs, the MC is left to fend for herself.
          The MC lives in a small house at the edge of the village on her own.
          The player can customize the MC sprite to their liking.
        • Nixe is a quite guy, who doesn't like confrontation. He likes to read fiction, but hates to study.
          He failed his exams the last time, so he had to wait 3 years before he could retake them.
          He is staying at the Mansion with his sister and mentor.
        • Regina is the youngest of 5 siblings. This is her first time further away of home.
          She admires people who are able to do spiritual magic, because affinity for that is rare with vampires.
          She is searching for a blood donor, because nobody prepared her for the disgusting taste of fauxblood.
          She lives in the Underground, with others who are also light sensitive.
████ Information
    • I've been thinking about making this game for a couple of months now, so I decided to create a thread to organize my thoughts on it, and get some input.

It's a stat raising game, but with different kinds of magic and powers. The MC has to learn things on her own before each exam takes place, with only small clues on what the exam will be.

For now I'm just really interested in hearing what people thing about the concept, or if they have suggestions.
████ Progress/Plans
    • -------- Story
      - Rough Outlines
      - Writing Key Main Scenes
      - Writing Activity Scenes
      - Writing Character Routes

-------- Art
      - 20 Backgrounds (5/20)
      - Map

-------- Sprites
      - MC Sprite
      - Ghoul Sprite Sets
      - Vamp Sprite Sets
      - Spirit Sprite Sets
      - Wizard Sprite Sets
      - Witch Sprite Set
      - Side Character Sprites
      - 2 Misc Masculine Students
      - 2 Misc Feminine Students (1/2)
      - 2 Misc Masculine Villagers
      - 2 Misc Feminine Villages

-------- UI
      - Main Menu
      - Basic Screens
      - In Game Screen (textbox, ect)
      - Magic Screens
      - Spell Icons
      - Activity Screens

-------- Programming
      - UI and Sprites
      - Day Planner Engine
      - Skill System
      - Battle System
      - Implant Story
Last edited by konett on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 14 times in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Witching Tower

#2 Post by fleet »

I like the art.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

konett
Regular

Re: Witching Tower [magic]

#3 Post by konett »

Thank you! That's they only part of this game that's a bit ahead, haha.

I made another background and added a character I drew sometime ago. She's a shop owner in the little town.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

Re: Witching Tower

#4 Post by Katta »

The characters are so cute)
The exam system reminds me of Magical Diary and I really liked there how you could pass the exam in several different way dependent on the magic you've learned - do you plan to make something like this? Or else I hope the small clues will be not so small)

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

#5 Post by Inksword »

Ooo this looks cute and the art is super clean and well done! I'll be keeping an eye out for updates from you! OuO

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#6 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Your art gets me so excited! This definitely has a very spooky, Halloween feel. I love the shopkeeper's design of the pumpkin skirt!

Is anyone romancable?

Honest Critique

daijinahito
Regular
Projects: Siren's Plea & A+ Switch!

#7 Post by daijinahito »

ugh~ my goodness, this is right up my alley! Love the whole magical academy type of setting, though it seems to be that the MC's a drop out, ha ha! Nonetheless, it sounds fun. I'd play this in a heartbeat.Also, the dark skinned characters are definitely a plus in my book+ There's this place in my heart for dark skinned characters with light hair, you see.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#8 Post by Ran08 »

Oh my gosh, this sounds absolutely lovely and fantastic! :) I love the story idea, and the character art is to die for. <3 This looks really beautiful, Konett. :( I know you don't have lots of concrete ideas right now, but... when do you think you'll finish it? :D

Good luck with this! :)

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#9 Post by chocojax »

I agree with everyone else--this looks so awesome, yo!

I find the concept/setting interesting. I'd love to see what sort of classifications of magic (standard fire/water/ground etc are fine, but it'd be super cool if you added in strange magikz) are gonna be in it, as well as what each character knows. Also, get on making characters! I really wanna know how they're like, yo! :P

konett
Regular

#10 Post by konett »

Katta wrote:The characters are so cute)
The exam system reminds me of Magical Diary and I really liked there how you could pass the exam in several different way dependent on the magic you've learned - do you plan to make something like this? Or else I hope the small clues will be not so small)
I haven't player Magical Diary yet, but I looked it up and it seems fun. It's a bit different than what I had in mind, but I wanted to have different ways to pass exams too. I'm also thinking of having theoretical magic and practical magic exams? Although I haven't put a lot of thought into it yet.
Inksword wrote:Ooo this looks cute and the art is super clean and well done! I'll be keeping an eye out for updates from you! OuO
Thank you!
Green Glasses Girl wrote:Your art gets me so excited! This definitely has a very spooky, Halloween feel. I love the shopkeeper's design of the pumpkin skirt!

Is anyone romancable?
Thank you! I will try to make 'character routes', but I want to see if their individual paths leave room for romance, but it certainly something I want to put in there. I don't know if that makes any sense.
daijinahito wrote:ugh~ my goodness, this is right up my alley! Love the whole magical academy type of setting, though it seems to be that the MC's a drop out, ha ha! Nonetheless, it sounds fun. I'd play this in a heartbeat.Also, the dark skinned characters are definitely a plus in my book+ There's this place in my heart for dark skinned characters with light hair, you see.
I want to put in a way to 'get back' into the the witches classes. Technically the MC isn't kicked out of school, but out of the classes specifically meant for witches.
Ran08 wrote:Oh my gosh, this sounds absolutely lovely and fantastic! :) I love the story idea, and the character art is to die for. <3 This looks really beautiful, Konett. :( I know you don't have lots of concrete ideas right now, but... when do you think you'll finish it? :D

Good luck with this! :)
Thanks! I really don't have any timeframe for this game, I'm just taking it one step at a time. I am hopeing to put out a demo witin 3 to 6 months? We'll see how it goes.
chocojax wrote:I agree with everyone else--this looks so awesome, yo!

I find the concept/setting interesting. I'd love to see what sort of classifications of magic (standard fire/water/ground etc are fine, but it'd be super cool if you added in strange magikz) are gonna be in it, as well as what each character knows. Also, get on making characters! I really wanna know how they're like, yo! :P
Thank you! I hadn't even given elemental magic a thought, haha. I made 6 'classifications', and almost all spells and tricks the player can learn will fall under one of those. There are a few spells that will be granted to the player on completing events, though. I've listen them in the below character chart.

If it's not easy to read, the 6 classifications are:
Divination, Spiritual, Manipulation, Necromancy, Charms and Concoctions.

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#11 Post by sasquatchii »

This looks beautiful!! And I love that it is a stat raising game. I'm curious as to how far along you are with this? It seems like you have a lot of art already but maybe are still planning the characters & story?
ImageImage

konett
Regular

#12 Post by konett »

sasquatchii wrote:This looks beautiful!! And I love that it is a stat raising game. I'm curious as to how far along you are with this? It seems like you have a lot of art already but maybe are still planning the characters & story?
Thank you! I really like stat raising games, hahaha.
Yes, that's correct. I have a bunch of ideas jotted down, but nothing is very far yet.

And another character profile image.

Shaples
Regular
Completed: Christmas Sweaters
Projects: White Lie, Tropichu!

Re: Witching Tower [Magic Academy][GxB/G]

#13 Post by Shaples »

This sounds fun and sassy! I love the spooky setting/aesthetic and think it leave lots of room for fun supernatural hijinks. Your art, as everyone has said, is absolutely lovely. I look forward to seeing what you make of this!

konett
Regular

#14 Post by konett »

Thanks!

Third character profile for the day!

The MC sprite will only have 1 pose, as apposed to the other characters.
Instead it will be possible to customize her. Hair, clothes, hats, and maybe accessories.

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#15 Post by Seigetsu »

I really like both the art and the concept. It's really nice to see a game with a GxG option in addition to the GxB option of most otome games. I'm curious to know whether the character paths would have romance endings or friendship endings or multiple endings associated with them. Also, would this be a free release or would you take it commercial? Either way, good luck with it and I'm really looking forward to seeing updates from you.