Kiss and Tell [Romance][School Life][GxB][Otome]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

Kiss and Tell [Romance][School Life][GxB][Otome]

#1 Post by Sayumi101 »

(new logo by Atomic-Invasion)
PLOT
Ayane (name changeable), was just another normal girl-, crushing on the school's most popular guy, spending hours on her flowing crimson hair to get it just right, picking out clothes with the utmost care so that her image exuded cuteness and hoping against hope that her 'prince charming' would at the very least spare a glance in her direction. On the last day of middle school, she gathers her courage to go speak to the aforementioned school idol and it doesn't end well. What bothered her wasn't the fact that she was called 'uncute' or that a group of strangers ridiculed her, but the realization that the way she lived her life until then- blindly following trends and being just another sheep in the flock- was pointless.
So she cut her hair short, changed her image and vowed to start high school as a changed person. Little did she know that this image change would attract her more attention than she'd ever hoped her fully-groomed self could achieve. Though she had mostly given up on finding love and excitement in her high school days, a rather shocking encounter in the broadcasting room and a subsequent anonymous note in her locker indicates otherwise.

Main Character
Obtainable Characters

1. Ryuu Toudou
One of the most popular guys in the entire school. A very cheerful and out-going kind of guy who is very comfortable being popular and has no trouble sweet-talking without a moment's notice. He takes joy in making his 'fangirls' hang on his every word. He seems to have a mean streak and strangely enough, Ayane is the only one who's ever experienced it. Once she cuts her hair, she becomes a more thorough victim of his mean side and it comes to a point where she openly resents him. Regrettably -however unlikely- he is one of the suspects from the broadcasting room incident.

2. Atari Hoshikawa
A rather soft-spoken guy who seems to have trouble interacting with people. He's been in the same class as Ayane since middle school and in high school he now sits in the seat beside her. His sweet disposition has earned him the nickname, the 'class's angel'. He seems innocent enough but circumstances point him as a suspect for the broadcasting room incident as well.

Other characters
1. Miyako
Ayane's closest friend who now goes to a different high school. Though initially taken aback by Ayane's sudden change, she is one of the only people who believes that the new 'her' suits her actual personality more. For some reason she takes pride in her ability to play cupid (not that Ayane was ever convinced of these ablities).

Creator's Note
So this is going to be my very first project and well, I wanted to start in the otome department XD. It's a one girl project, i.e despite being a newbie I'm going to be doing all the sprite drawing, coding, story writing and partial GUI making by myself. I'm a rather heavy procrastinator, so though I'd like to release this project by the end of the year. I'll move this to the W.I.P section once I actively start working on the sprites. I aim for the game to be of relatively medium length and have a few events planned out in my mind, it's only a question of structuring them out effectively.

For now, if you'd please answer the following questions.

Feedback Questionnaire.
1. Is my sprite drawing style okay for a VN?
2. Do you find the school theme too generic?
3. Are the obtainable characters okay? If not, what kind of personality would you prefer them to have?
4. Would you play the game if it had no CGs?

Thank you for taking the time to read... ^^
Update No 1 : Main Character Sprites added
2 : Main Screen/Starting Screen GUI completed.

3 : Started writing.
4: New LOGO requested and completed
5: CGs done so yay!!!
6: New GUI in place.
7: Atari's sprite revised.
8 : New Main Menu....
(Only writing, coding, music and polishing left.)
Last edited by Sayumi101 on Thu May 12, 2016 2:55 am, edited 10 times in total.
ImageImageImage

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Kiss and Tell [Otome][Romance]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Sayumi101 wrote: 1. Is my sprite drawing style okay for a VN?
3. Are the obtainable characters okay? If not, what kind of personality would you prefer them to have?
1. If you ask me, all drawing styles are fine. My question: are you confident in your ability to draw characters? If you are uncertain, then ask for help, or use copyright-free art assets.
2. It's a story. I think that it might benefit from a sense of place and time. Instead of "Anytown Japan, more or less present day," think about where the story could occur. What places do you want to write about? Maybe the story can be set in a place you have visited, or where your ancestors lived. (Your setting might even be a nation where school uniforms are common.) Also, could it happen during a specific year?
3. Think of them as fictional people, rather than romance options. What's the difference? I'm not entirely sure... However, I do think that if they're portrayed as normal individuals, they would be more likely to have multiple flaws and strengths.
4. It's fine.
Sayumi101 wrote: I'm a rather heavy procrastinator, so though I'd like to release this project by the end of the year I'll keep the deadline as Valentines Day 2015.
Do you think you would benefit by giving yourself mini-deadlines between now and then? For example, write down a number of things to accomplish by December 1st. Also, think about what regular hours you can devote time to writing each day. Make this a routine.
Sayumi101 wrote: ... the realization that the way she lived her life until then- blindly following trends and being just another sheep in the flock- was pointless.
This seems to indicate that your main character starts the story being proactive, and seriously reconsidering her life and goals. I think this is a good setup. It seems better than the MC being passive and stumbling into the story, or the MC being given opportunities / rewards for little to no reason.

Sayumi101
Veteran

#3 Post by Sayumi101 »

gekiganwing wrote: My question: are you confident in your ability to draw characters? If you are uncertain, then ask for help, or use copyright-free art assets.
2. It's a story. I think that it might benefit from a sense of place and time. Instead of "Anytown Japan, more or less present day," think about where the story could occur. What places do you want to write about? Maybe the story can be set in a place you have visited, or where your ancestors lived. (Your setting might even be a nation where school uniforms are common.) Also, could it happen during a specific year?
3. Think of them as fictional people, rather than romance options. What's the difference? I'm not entirely sure... However, I do think that if they're portrayed as normal individuals, they would be more likely to have multiple flaws and strengths.
4. It's fine.
I'm still working on my art skills and if things become too much to handle I'll try and get help.But for now, I think it's manageable. (Hopefully)
The initial plan was for the school to have uniforms since most Japanese schools are that way. Have never thought about the location before, but it would be more interesting to have a specific location so I'll try and get that down.
Right! That's one of the major things to get out of the way- taking care they don't turn out too shallow or idealistic. For that, I'll probably get a beta later down the road.
The story is intended to take place over the course of a year, but I might include some other time constraint (haven't worked through that part yet)
gekiganwing wrote:
Do you think you would benefit by giving yourself mini-deadlines between now and then? For example, write down a number of things to accomplish by December 1st. Also, think about what regular hours you can devote time to writing
I can't really estimate how much time I'll get every day, but it would be best to have those mini-deadlines to keep myself on track. Getting the sprites ready is first on the list.
gekiganwing wrote: This seems to indicate that your main character starts the story being proactive, and seriously reconsidering her life and goals
Well, that's the plan. I want her to seem motivated enough to want to do something with her life rather than to win others' approval while at the same time not having been able to fully shed her former self who revels in attention... Secretly she could also be slightly bitter at not having been able to live up to her own expectations of 'cute'... I wonder if that'd end up awkward though. Those're just a few other things to sort out before moving this thread to the W.I.P section ^^ (Sorry for the rant)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply, more so for your tips ^^
ImageImageImage

Sayumi101
Veteran

#4 Post by Sayumi101 »

Edit: Added sprites for the three main characters ^O^ I may or may not redo them according to feedback. Still have to complete their expressions. And I have a soft spot for Ayane's 'kissy face' expression. XD

Also, I've decided that I'll make a mini-game before this one using various free sprites available on the internet so that I can get used to the whole game creation process. I'll try my best to get that project done by the end of the year (while simultaneously working on this one).
Thanks for reading.
ImageImageImage

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#5 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

1. Is my sprite drawing style okay for a VN? (please refer style of the Miyako sprite)

I think that your drawing style is very cute! Atari is the most adorable one though~

I love school based otome games. I think it is the drama and humor from those games that I most like.

A sly, arrogant, guy who acts nice enough to everyone but the MC? Not really my cup of tea, but there might be others that like him. Atari on the other hand...he's totally my type~ <3

Sure! I've play quite a few otome games that didn't have cgs. And if no cgs means a new otome game being released sooner, then it's a bonus.

#6 Post by 171 »

Feedback Questionnaire.
1. Is my sprite drawing style okay for a VN? (please refer style of the Miyako sprite)
1. It looks good to me.
2. Honestly yes. However, you can make it look different by giving unique plot and concepts. Here's an example:
Your MC attends a newly-built school and it has robots as replacements of teachers. They look very competent and understanding and the students like them. However, one day, one of the students tried to take one of robots aways so that he can examine it. He disappeared the next day and his body couldn't be found. The bad rumours about the school started to spread, and your MC felt that she had to find out the truth and developed a feeling to other characters.
3. It's okay. I want a character that is innocent, but he develops a strong personality after facing some hardships.
4. I could give it a shot, but I personally like VNs that have CGs.

I hope I helped.

x_ForgottenSmile_x

#7 Post by x_ForgottenSmile_x »

So to answer your questions:

1. The art looks so adorable >////<
2. I don't think it is, I looove school themed otomes and I never get tired of them. Especially when they have different story plots.
3. I love the obtainable characters! Especially Ryuu, cause I'm kind of a Do M. >~>
4. Of course I would play it. It sounds very interesting to me, and it would make me love it a lot more if you put CGs but I don't mind. I'm there for the story.

Another thing is I wanna say good luck to you on your game and I will keep my eyes on this project. Do your best! ^^

Sayumi101
Veteran

#8 Post by Sayumi101 »

Thank you for answering.
VocaloidsRCool wrote: Atari is the most adorable one though~
Atari on the other hand...he's totally my type~ <3
Oh yay, someone who likes Atari! I was originally going to put the game forward with Ryuu alone but then I just had an impulsive need for a kinder and sweeter persona.
VocaloidsRCool wrote: Sure! I've play quite a few otome games that didn't have cgs. And if no cgs means a new otome game being released sooner, then it's a bonus.
I see. I think I've got a hold of someone who can do the colouring, so that should speed up the CG process. ^^
Last edited by Sayumi101 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Sayumi101
Veteran

#9 Post by Sayumi101 »

171 wrote: 2. Honestly yes. However, you can make it look different by giving unique plot and concepts. Here's an example:
Your MC attends a newly-built school and it has robots as replacements of teachers.
I agree that elements like that can rather effectively make the plot seem less generic, but for now I'll be concentrating on more 'shoujo' like elements. Sci-fi really isn't my thing (in other words, I don't think I'll be able to create something alluring enough) Thanks for your input though.
171 wrote: 3. It's okay. I want a character that is innocent, but he develops a strong personality after facing some hardships.
Well, that's the plan. Hopefully I don't make him seem to helpless or aggravating. I'm hoping for him to become a stronger person along the way.

And yes, you were very helpful, thank you. ^^
ImageImageImage

Sayumi101
Veteran

#10 Post by Sayumi101 »

x_ForgottenSmile_x wrote: 1. The art looks so adorable >////<

Oh, that means so much >\\\\< I thought it'd be weird.
x_ForgottenSmile_x wrote: 3. I love the obtainable characters! Especially Ryuu, cause I'm kind of a Do M. >~>
It seems we have much in common XD I always, ALWAYS tend to go for the more.... uhm.... -how do you say this mildly- cold, serious and relatively mean guy. Though in this case he isn't 'cold' per say.

And thank you oh so very much for the well wishes *bows*. I'll try my hardest to get this done and hopefully not disappoint anyone, lol
Last edited by Sayumi101 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Sayumi101
Veteran

Re: Kiss and Tell [Romance][School Life][GxB][Otome]

#11 Post by Sayumi101 »

Update ^O^
1.Finished Main Menu GUI and logo, also added a preview in this thread.
2.Started outlining the actual script in -more or less- sequential order.
ImageImageImage

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#12 Post by Godline »

Ayane (name changeable), was just another normal girl-, crushing on the school's most popular guy, spending hours on her flowing crimson hair to get it just right, picking out clothes with the utmost care so that her image exuded cuteness and hoping against hope that her 'prince charming' would at the very least spare a glance in her direction. On the last day of middle school, she gathers her courage to go speak to the aforementioned school idol and it doesn't end well. What bothered her wasn't the fact that she was called 'uncute' or that a group of strangers ridiculed her, but the realization that the way she lived her life until then- blindly following trends and being just another sheep in the flock- was pointless.
So she cut her hair short, changed her image and vowed to start high school as a changed person. Little did she know that this image change would attract her more attention than she'd ever hoped her fully-groomed self could achieve. Though she had mostly given up on finding love and excitement in her high school days, a rather shocking encounter in the music room and a subsequent anonymous note in her locker indicates otherwise.
I was expecting it to be generic. No name girl gets bombarded with cute guys and blah, blah... what does she do?!! It seems that she's a strong protag learning a valuable lesson about herself first and foremost instead of being little miss pretty but unnoticed until now like most protags.

I'd suggest not making the name changeable. But that's just my preference. She already has a character, she's not some no name generic like most VNs. So celebrate that and don't make her changeable. :)

If you need any story help ever, give me a holla. I'd love to see how it progresses.

As for the questions. The guys seem okay and I'd prefer CGs.

Sayumi101
Veteran

#13 Post by Sayumi101 »

Godline wrote:
I'd suggest not making the name changeable. But that's just my preference. She already has a character, she's not some no name generic like most VNs. So celebrate that and don't make her changeable. :)

If you need any story help ever, give me a holla. I'd love to see how it progresses.

As for the questions. The guys seem okay and I'd prefer CGs.
I see your point about having the name stay as an invariable, it really makes sense. It's just that I thought that it'd have more of a personalized touch if one could change the name if they want (since I've always liked to customize names). I'm going to put a lot of thought into this ^^

Thank you for the kind offer, if at any point I feel stuck or overwhelmed I'll take you up on it.

And as for the CGs, I've decided to include them. I'm going to be doing the lineart and hopefully get beg someone to colour it for me XD
ImageImageImage

PaupauSenpai
Regular
Projects: The Color of Life

#14 Post by PaupauSenpai »

Uwa! Uber cute! I love the story, I can relate to it well >w< The characters seem very interesting-- the two guys contrast very well. And this mysterious 'music room incident' makes me want to find out what it is~!! I will totally be keeping an eye on this VN!
1. The sprites are ADORABLE~ I love them very berry much! <3
2. Haha, the school theme is used a lot, but only because it is very easy for the target audience to connect with. Thus, I don't have a problem with it at all!
3. I like em from the brief descriptions so far!! So long as they have depth to them and background of sorts, I like them >w< For instance, I'd love to see the reason as to why Ryuu is seemingly only mean to Ayane. That'll be super interesting to find out~!
4. Yeah, honestly none of that matters so long as the story is good, nah meaaan? xD Which so far totally is so~!! GL on your VN!!
Current Project:
The Color of Life, a slice-of-life otome game with a hint of fantasy, dreamworlds...and bunny and kitty boys.
Link to the WIP thread here

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer
Organization: Moonlight Avenue, Inc.; Anomalis

#15 Post by Laera-chan »

This looks adorable. Can't wait for this to come out!
1. I've seen some great sprites, and some... unfortunate looking ones. These are definitely very well drawn. (if Ayane's kissy face is the one used as your avatar, I'll admit, I find it hilariously adorable too, btw)
2. School theme is good. I don't have a prejudice for or against school theme games, so... Yeah.
3. I think they sound good! Would be pretty cute if you find out at some point that Atari has had a crush on her for *insert-random-length-of-time-here*... Though that may be a bit cliche. But I like cliches if they're well-done!
4. Yes, if there were no CG's I'd still play it, but I admit, I love CG's, and Galleries. (frequently looks through galleries of previously played games just to look at the pretty pictures again //shot). Though you said you were gonna make CG's, so... are you going to do a Gallery? *hope hope hope hope hope*

Anyways, here's to waiting anxiously for the release!