[Art Update!] The Color of Life [GxB][SliceofLife][Fantasy]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
PaupauSenpai
Regular
Projects: The Color of Life

[Art Update!] The Color of Life [GxB][SliceofLife][Fantasy]

#1 Post by PaupauSenpai »

Story:

May's life has been pretty dull recently. She used to be a bright and creative kid full of imagination, but now that she's in high school, she's been following the same routine day in and day out: Wake up, go to school, go home, study, sleep. And even in her sleep, she can't manage to have a memorable dream anymore.

That is until one day, she feels dizzy, faints, and has a vision of talking with "the Creationist." The Creationist tells her that her life has become "grey," and she'll be given an opportunity to put some color into it again.

When she wakes up, she's in a hospital room with a doctor who tells her she only has about a week to live.

Help May make the most of her final days and find the color of life once again, before it's too late.

Genre and Rating:
Otome (GxB), Slice-of-Life, Contemporary Fantasy. Currently it's rated all-ages.
It will utilize a points system for romanceable characters like a dating sim, but the decision points are strewn throughout the story and dialogue like a visual novel.

Characters:

(These are just veeeeeery rough concept sketches right now (especially Colton's because of his hair color lol), I apologize xD)

Protagonist:

Nameable - Age: 16: As a child, she was usually left home alone, so often had to play with only her stuffed animals. To cope with the loneliness of an empty household, she created her own imaginary world she and her stuffed animal friends lived in, and dreamt of the world every night. Growing up, however, one event led to another, and she eventually stopped playing with her toys, and stopped dreaming of her dreamworld. Now, she's dying, and wants to try to flip her bland life around one more time before her expiration date.

The Dreamworld Princes:
The girl played with them a lot as a child, but had to grow up and leave them. Now, only two remain in the dreamworld she abandoned: The characters she created from her toy rabbit and cat. After the discussion with the Creationist, she was given the ability to dream of them again. Now, every night, she spends time with them in her dreamworld.

Yi - Age: Appears 17: The bunny boy. He's an eternally optimistic, happy-go-lucky guy who cares deeply about the girl and is overjoyed of her return. Unlike his brother, he had full faith in her, and believed that she was going to come back one day. When she returns, he promises to help her on her quest to bring color back into her life, but she worries he might be hiding his true sadness and the loneliness he felt since her departure, just for the sake of keeping everyone else happy...

Ki - Age: Appears 16: The kitty boy. He's a man of few words, but the words he does say are often spiteful, bitter, and/or clever. He lost hope in the girl for leaving him and his brother for so long, and feels betrayed by her, to forget about him after all the memories they made together. He often goes to his favorite hiding place, up in a tree, to sulk. He is at first reluctant in allowing the girl to speak with him again and spend time with him in the dreamworld, but she feels very guilty for making him feel abandoned and is determined to prove herself once again.

The Real World Princes: These are the potential love interests the main character encounters in waking life.

Colton - Age: 17: May's closest friend and next-door neighbor in her apartment. Both his and her parents are constantly out, so they have practically lived together for quite a few years, cooking each other dinner and whatnot. He has his perks (ace member of the school's judo team) and his quirks (deathly afraid of spiders,) but all in all, he's a caring and goodhearted guy. He's very understanding of May's predicament, because he's often left alone at home as well, but there may be more to his family life that even May doesn't know about.

George - Age: 16: The class representative. A coffee addict who surprisingly feels very passionate about certain technology, he scores extremely high on every test thrown at him, and with good reason: He spends a majority of his time studying. Most of the class is annoyed by him constantly lecturing them about their grades, and creepily knowing the personal reasons why their grades are slipping... But oddly enough, he always seems to give May just a gentle scolding when her math scores take a dip. He isn't a robot, yet he acts like one academically-- what's going on in his caffeine-hungry mind?

Willem - Age: 16: The richest kid in town, and in the running for most narcissistic as well. Still, most girls at school are smitten for his good looks and princely behavior. All except May, that is-- because for whatever reason, he tosses nothing but snide and snarky comments her way every time he sees her. He also seems to have strong hatred for strange things (there is a certain color that drives him mad,) and enjoys seeing girls fight for his affection. It appears that he's nothing more than a jerk in sheep's clothing, but his odd behavior after school tells a different story...

Todd - Age: 16: The member of a popular boy band, Todd is rarely at school due to his job. But, having just finished a big tour, his manager allowed him to stay at his hometown for the next week. Always cheerful and perhaps a natural airhead, or perhaps just playing a part; either way, he's often behind in class, so relies on May to supply him with notes and such. Unlike Willem, he isn't too fond of having so many fangirls, and uses various tricks and schemes to escape from them as much as possible. But his job requires that he's around people almost all the time. Why does he prefer to be alone?

Isaac - Age: 15: A boy in the hospital May was placed in, who actually has the same incurable disease May has. He's had the disease longer than she, but he's in such a critical condition due to it that he's unable to leave the hospital bed. Bound to his bed next to a window overseeing the nearby park, he can do nothing but read his beloved fairy tale books all day. He dreams of becoming a knight and saving someone from danger, but he has no hope in this ever coming true. After a while, May begins to wonder why no family ever visits him...

In total, there are seven potential love interests. More art to be added soon!

Features:
- Seven 'good' endings and one game over ending
- Seven love interests
- Will be free
More to be added as I make more progress on it~

Progress!:
Story -
Outline: 100%
Writing: 40%
Script/Programming: ~10%

Art -
Concept Art: ~90% (rough concepts done, final concepts in progress)
Sprites: --
BG: --
CG: --

Music - --
GUI - --

Updates:
Nov 12 2014: Created WIP thread. Plot, character bios, info, and Yi and Ki concept art added.
Nov 15 2014: Colton's concept art added.
Nov 16 2014: Progress updated. (Writing and concept art)
Dec 18 2014: Wowlongabsencethanksschoolandpoisonintake Progress updated. (Writing)
Dec 25 2014: Merry Christmas 8D Yi's concept art updatedededed
~~~
Yes, it is in it's very early stages. But I'm breezing through the writing, which I formatted in a script-esque form so it will be easy to transition into Ren'Py. I'm hoping for a release date in the next few months, but we'll see!

- What do you guys think? Sounds intriguing? All characters will having surprising backstories and plot twists ahoy. Would you play this game maybe?~
Last edited by PaupauSenpai on Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Current Project:
The Color of Life, a slice-of-life otome game with a hint of fantasy, dreamworlds...and bunny and kitty boys.
Link to the WIP thread here

PaupauSenpai
Regular

Re: The Color of Life [GxB][Slice of Life][Fantasy] Update:1

#2 Post by PaupauSenpai »

Colton's concept art is super rough xD Yeah I'm still working out how exactly he'll be colored and all, but nevertheless~

Work on the story is steadily coming along as well~! I'm planning on getting 10,000 more words done by tomorrow night 8D
Current Project:
The Color of Life, a slice-of-life otome game with a hint of fantasy, dreamworlds...and bunny and kitty boys.

Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

#3 Post by Sayumi101 »

I'll start by saying that 'kitty boy' is exactly my type, lol. That's the average personality I persue first, but dayum them kitty ears >w<
Now that we've got the fangirling out of the way I really like your story's setting and the whole 'you life has become gray, you have a week to put some colour into it' theme ^^ I also like how there are two worlds to choose from. In the dreamworld scenario I'm looking forward to see their reluctance in letting her back in and also to see how she affirms that she'll really be there for them and not abandon them again.
Another thing is the way you described the characters, giving them each a slight mysterious touch. I feel I'll play this game just to see what the plot twists are. ^^
Anyways all in all your game seems interesting, its amazing that you have it all propery thought out and I wish you luck in completing it. Will look forward to seeing more progress. (This project has got a stalker/lurker in me Here, kitty kitty)
ImageImageImage

PaupauSenpai
Regular

#4 Post by PaupauSenpai »

LFSJAFLASDJ;FDSJAKF Three weeks later xD
I'm so sorry for the long absence, whew. I was sick for a while and then finals before winter break were happening and yeah, didn't have much time for updates...BUT I have been writing in my (very scarce) free time so it is slowly but surely progressing 8'D
Sayumi101 wrote:I'll start by saying that 'kitty boy' is exactly my type, lol. That's the average personality I persue first, but dayum them kitty ears >w<
Now that we've got the fangirling out of the way I really like your story's setting and the whole 'you life has become gray, you have a week to put some colour into it' theme ^^ I also like how there are two worlds to choose from. In the dreamworld scenario I'm looking forward to see their reluctance in letting her back in and also to see how she affirms that she'll really be there for them and not abandon them again.
Another thing is the way you described the characters, giving them each a slight mysterious touch. I feel I'll play this game just to see what the plot twists are. ^^
Anyways all in all your game seems interesting, its amazing that you have it all propery thought out and I wish you luck in completing it. Will look forward to seeing more progress. (This project has got a stalker/lurker in me Here, kitty kitty)
Hey!! Thank you so much \;w;/ I am so glad you enjoy the plot summary and character bios! Hehehe I love Mr. Kittyboy too >w< *HIGH FIVE YEY CAT BOYZ*

I really appreciate the positive feedback, I really am hoping my ideas interest people and I can get my message across with this vn. Will update more frequently once winter break comes around xD~
Current Project:

PaupauSenpai
Regular

Re: [Art Update!] The Color of Life [GxB][SliceofLife][Fanta

#5 Post by PaupauSenpai »

Merry Christmas all~!!
I'll be spending Christmas recoveringfromacold and going to see a movie, I wonder what I'll see~ eue
I also spent this morning working on Yi's updated concept art! ...It's more like a beta of his sprite art xD I'll touch it up a bit and see how it goes but for now here it issss:

Thoughts? ;D

I should progress more with my writing today too...I've been doing a little each day, maybe I should push for a big number and slave over it! \^0^/~
Talk to you soon!!
Current Project:

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer
Organization: Moonlight Avenue, Inc.; Anomalis

Re: [Art Update!] The Color of Life [GxB][SliceofLife][Fanta

#6 Post by Laera-chan »

*pounces Yi and Ki**pets the cUTE LITTLE BUNNY/KITTY EARS OMFGASLKDFJA!!!!* :oops: :P

This. This has my love and adoration. Like Sayumi101-chan, I really love how there's two worlds with bishies to choose from. I could wish for more in the dream world, but as it is... I'll have trouble deciding which one of the seven I want first. And besides, seven bachelors? 7?! *hops up and down in love and awe* You would do that for us? *glomp* *joins Sayumi in stalking this thread* :D