Circa de Flora [GxB/G] [Romace/survival?] [First]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
ArcticJade
Deviantart: ArcticJade

Circa de Flora [GxB/G] [Romace/survival?] [First]

#1 Post by ArcticJade »

Circa de Flora [Possible name change]
Contents:
  • Idea
  • Plot
  • Features
  • Recent Work
  • Characters
  • Concept Art
  • Questions
Idea
In short, basically it is going to be a circus type VN with a dark twist. I threw the survival tag on there because I don't want it just to be romance, I want to write a story where the protagonist has to survive throughout the story. I am thinking of having characters that relate to certain flowers and there is some reason (Mystic/Forced/Lost Dream) why the protagonist cannot leave at the start. I'm not sure if I want the protagonist to start off as a performer (like just signed up) or have her be a guest and then become a performer, or just be a guest. If the protagonist becomes a performer that could add a lot more routes for her to take..

I am really new to Ren'Py and I know it is possible to combine all three routes I don't think I can do that. So please comment which route you would think would be more interesting to play.
Plot
A long time ago, in the depth of darkness there was once a circus that was hidden in the woods far from the city lights that brought hundreds of guests into it's tent. People far and wide would come in to see the famous acts. There was a rumor that these acts were actual magic. You could see everything from the classic sword swallower to the mystifying illusionist. [[This is where the path can split; Guest only, Performer (newbie), guest then performer.]]

[[If Guest only]] You came to this famous circus to see what the circus lived up to it's expectation. However something was off as soon as you stepped onto it's grounds. You paid no attention to the dark gloomy feeling you received and took your seat on the bench and watched the show. Whatever feeling you had just washed away as you watched every performance. The show was incredible! As the day ended and the ringmaster took the center ring. He gave a speech and as he was talking the people around you were starting to fall asleep. You watched as more and more people were nodding off, but you didn't feel sleepy at all. By the time he was about finished you were the only one still awake. He fixed his gaze to yours and repeated the same speech, you wondered if he was trying to put you to sleep. The performers were taking the guests one by one out of the tent and you began to panic. He walked up to you and asked you "why are you still awake?". --From here the story would plan out as you make the choices, will you stay here? Will you try and escape? Will you survive? Will you find out what is going on?--

[[If Performer (newbie)]] You joined this circus because you were always fascinated with the mesmerizing performances. Well, you have never actually seen it before you have only heard rumor's. They held an audition and you signed up. You did your performance (I think this is where the choice will go for what you want to be) and then you sat down with the witch. The witch was the one who ran the auditions, and she did a short interview to see if you were a potential performer for Cirque de Flora. She asked you basic questions that didn't seem to relate to the circus at all, "Do you believe in ghosts?, "Are you afraid of the dark?", "What is your biggest fear?". (then the protagonist would start to feel cold/warm, not sure yet which one) "Are you cold/warm right now?". You can lie or tell the truth but either way the witch knows you felt something. She tells you are hired and you should show up tonight. You show up in your usual outfit, and the illusionist comes up to you and gives your new garb. She says congrats and have a blast before running off. You walk around the circus (you showed up a couple hours early to get a look around to see whats up, etc.) and you talk to some of the fellow performers. They all will mention something about that feeling with the witch (and depending on your answer previously you will answer differently). The ringmaster finds you and tells you even though you haven't performed yet, you should still give a small performance as a way to show the guests you are now part of Cirque De Flora. -- From here on out the story will play out depending on your choices, will you become successful? Will you try and leave? Will you survive? Will you be trapped? Will you find out the mystery of the missing guests?---

[[Guest then performer]] ((I am thinking it will be the same starting at the guest but instead the guests do not fall asleep)). During the performance the witch "casts" (you really do not know at this point that it is real) a spell to pick a volunteer and you feel complied to stand up. She draws you into the circle and your body moves on its own. The act happens (not sure what it will be yet) and even claps and you sit back down and watch the show. Afterwards as you are leaving the ringmaster comes up to you and says he has an opportunity in store for you. He tells you the witch feels something inside you that will benefit the circus and he would be honored to have you join the family. You can say yes or no at this point (if you say yes it moves on, if you say no other performers will try and convince you to say yes, if you keep saying no well the story ends here.) You tell the ringmaster you really don't have any special talent and he says you are lying. "Just watch and see my dear, you are more special than you realize". He leaves without an explanation and you retire to your new home. --From here on out the story will fold out depending on your actions, Will you survive? Will you try and leave? Will you become trapped? Who knows!--
Features
◇ A lot of endings
◇ Only one playable character (female), you get to name
◇ Long-ish type VN
◇ Romance with every character, or no romance
◇ Character death (protagonist and NPC)

ArcticJade

Re: Circa de Flora [GxB/G] [Romace/survival?] [First]

#2 Post by ArcticJade »

Recent Work
None at the moment

Characters
The Ring Master
Flower: Asphodel
Meaning: "My regrets follow you to the grave"
Name: N/A

The Illusionist
Flower:Bell Flower
Meaning: Disappointment, Loss

The Witch
Flower: Bird's Foot trefoil
Meaning: Revenge

The Joker
Flower: Thorn Apple
Meaning: Disguise

The Puppet Master
Flower:Laurestine
Meaning: A Token

The Beast
Flower: Lovelia
Meaning: Malevolence
Last edited by ArcticJade on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArcticJade

Re: Circa de Flora [GxB/G] [Romace/survival?] [First]

#3 Post by ArcticJade »

Concept Art
Questions
♦ What route would you want to take?
♦ Possible names for the characters (I would like for them to have some meaning)
♦ Any thoughts, concerns, or questions?
♦ Any added ideas to the plot

New/Added Stuff
-- Possible fights with monsters (not point based, action based) depending on route (Most likely performer: newbie)
-- I am thinking of adding a sanity factor, like the more you stay at the circus the more your sanity goes down (well depending on your actions) and if it drops to 0 you are done for
This is just a simple way for me to know what I need to do;
-Start sketching out characters
-Figure out where the story is going
-Sketch out backgrounds
-Need to find music
-Learn how to make a cool GUI/menu
Thank you so much!