Heavenly Soul! [School Project]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
SuperLexxx
Regular

Heavenly Soul! [School Project]

#1 Post by SuperLexxx »

~Hello, LSFers! My name is Lexi and I want to make VNs! Way back in 2011 I frequented these forums for a bit as I was interested in making VNs through Ren'py. Some of the stuff I was working on never came to fruition, and life got in the way (2011 was the year I started working/going to college). So, I kind of gave up on making visual novels.

FAST FORWARD to now and I'm in my third year of college. I'm studying to be a computer animator and have done work in 2d and 3d. I have lots of creative software skills, especially with the Adobe Suite and Autodesk Maya, among some other things. For the past few years I have been working on a magical girl story that I had hoped to eventually turn into a web series. I've also begun brainstorming for my senior project, as I will be a senior next year. These past few months, my mind just keeps going back to video games as what I want to do with my life, but since I love storytelling I made the decision to do my senior project as an interactive, story driven game. Naturally, Ren'py was first in my thoughts as a great way to do such a project.

TL;DR, I'm using Ren'py to create my university senior animation project and I need lots of advice!

EDIT:

I started my senior project! Haven't made too much progress yet, but I'm working on drawing the bg for the main menu screen. Haven't done much programming yet mostly because I'm still struggling with writing the story in such a way that it will still be fun to play through and everything. Maybe I should draw some storyboards, aye.

Anyway here's a screenshot.

Proper info post will be made soon, once I get my crap together. :)
Last edited by SuperLexxx on Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SparkyRailgun
Regular
IRC Nick: SparkyRailgun

Re: Untitled [School Project]

#2 Post by SparkyRailgun »

Welcome back! What sort of story do you plan to do for nano?

SuperLexxx
Regular

#3 Post by SuperLexxx »

Um, I'm not really sure what story i want to do for NaNo. I figured I would probably brainstorm for a while, since there's still time before it starts to come up with something. I've been doing some research to see what I could feasibly do in such a short amount of time.

Ideally, I would LOVE to do something related to my larger project that I have in mind. Maybe telling a short story involving one of the side characters or something. =)

The large project that I want to do is called 'Heavenly Soul' and I've been wanting to make it for quite a long time. It's about magical girls and stuff. I wanted to post something of actual substance in this thread so I drew up a little banner type thing with the main protagonist.

I think it would be really awesome to incorporate some sort of gaming system besides just making choices that lead to different endings (for the year long project, not the NaNo one). I haven't experimented with any of those systems yet though, so I don't know what would be best. I'm a personal fan of Match 3 games, but it would be cool to see just how far Ren'py can be pushed to make different kinds of games. I recently picked up Sunrider and I'm really impressed by the turn based strategy portion. Not something I expected from a VN. =)

SparkyRailgun
Regular
IRC Nick: SparkyRailgun

#4 Post by SparkyRailgun »

You've got a really nice style! I think doing a side story for your main project is a great idea, it will serve as a way to get feedback on the setting before you go ahead and start writing the big kahuna.

Looking forward to seeing what you do!

LaziRice
Tumblr: Dango-Pop

#5 Post by LaziRice »

I think it's great to create a small project to get familiar with Ren'py but I don't want to discourage you from the second project. I don't know how ren'py works with touch screen or animations, I feel like adobe flash could also be used if Ren'py doesn't work out. I wish you lots of luck for the projects though!

SuperLexxx
Regular

Re: Heavenly Soul! [School Project]

#6 Post by SuperLexxx »

UPDATE: I added a little screenshot to OP. I am making things happen. Yes.