Solace from Winter [KN][GxB][Drama]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

Solace from Winter [KN][GxB][Drama]

#1 Post by Rozume »

.:Synopsis:.
Mai Pham died. She died a long time ago, when her uncle molested her as a child. Now she's a young adult and she wants to move on with the past. But the past doesn't seem to move on with her as painful memories haunt her day by day. Can she finally come to terms with the abuse she faced and move forward, or will she stay behind in the past?

::Characters:.

Mai Pham: Timid, anxious, and prone to panic attacks, Mai suffered a great deal in her life to say the least. After a failed suicide attempt, Mai realized it was time to take control of her life and not let her life take control of her.

Duke Sorensen: Duke loves life. He loves people. He wants to help out as many people as he can. So when he meets Mai and notices that she's struggling, he goes out of his way to help her. But is there more to that?

Rachelle Thompson: Rachelle loves being generous, hospitable, and throwing money at everything she can find. So when she lets Mai lives with her and Duke in the mansion, she's more than delighted. Because another person to the mansion means that she won't be alone.

Jarett Thompson: Jarrett is Mai's best friend, and was the one that helped her move in with his aunt. Mai is like a little sister to him, and he treats her like so despite the fact that they're the same age.

Kim Pham: Mai's mother. She's strict and prideful and for years have denied the fact that her brother molested her own child. Ever since Mai moved out of the house, she's been begging Mai to come home.

Questions:
1. What do you think of the story and characters?
2. Would you read this?
3. If I set up a donation pool for this project, would you donate some money to help develop this?
5. Are you okay with Non-Anime styled art? (You can check out my Tumblr for what my art looks like).
Last edited by Rozume on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Solace from Winter [KN][GxB][Drama]

#2 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Ah, so this is the story you were asking about!

1. I love well-written dramas with characters that are all fleshed out, so I'm really happy to see that you've already put this much thought into your concept. I think Rachelle and Mai's mom are my two favorite characters right now.
2. Yes.
3. Possibly. I don't have much money to spare, but I would try very hard to help out.
4. Free is always nice, but I also like supporting people who are brave enough to explore different kinds of stories in VNs.
5. Absolutely.
Last edited by Mad Harlequin on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Rozume
Veteran

#3 Post by Rozume »

@MadHarlequin

Thanks for you answers, I'm glad you like it! I'm gonna do the best that I can to make this awesome. ^^

I don't have a clear plot in mind, but I'll say my outline is at 100%. I have to move on and get writing, even if that means writing with a vague idea instead of a clear picture. In addition, I bumped up the word count estimate to 45k because I think there needs to be more room to tell the story I want to tell.

A friend challenged me to write my first draft in two weeks, and I accepted. Sure, 45k seems really daunting for two weeks but I think I can do it if I really push myself. My boyfriend is concerned that I'd burn myself out along the way, so I gave myself 4 buffer days where I'm allowed to do nothing and recharge (so really, I'll be writing this in 10 days haha orz).

Wish me luck!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Yes, good luck! That's quite a challenge! (I need to work on improving my writing pace. Slow as molasses, I am!)

Don't forget about proper meals and sleep!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Fluxx
Regular
Projects: Magnificent//Omniversal Love, Nature's Kingdom
Organization: Natural Freedom
IRC Nick: Fluxx
Tumblr: superfunspacejam

#5 Post by Fluxx »

Rozume wrote:

A friend challenged me to write my first draft in two weeks, and I accepted. Sure, 45k seems really daunting for two weeks but I think I can do it if I really push myself. My boyfriend is concerned that I'd burn myself out along the way, so I gave myself 4 buffer days where I'm allowed to do nothing and recharge (so really, I'll be writing this in 10 days haha orz).
Man some of you guys can write a lot, not sure how you do it. I've been spying on some of your posts Rozume. When it comes to Novel design and preparation you're very thorough and I like that. 3 Rough drafts? omg...
CURRENT PROJECTS (Ongoing)
Nature's Kingdom - A Girl Wishes for Utopia -
Web Novel that takes place in the same universe as Magnificent//Omniversal Love.

Rozume
Veteran

#6 Post by Rozume »

@Fluxx

I refer to this blog post as well as the e-book the author offers to learn about writing fast. :) And yes, I can be very thorough when prepping, I like to be prepared as much as I can!

But speaking of writing challenges, I decided to drop the challenge I currently have for now. I know, it's only been a few days since I started but I had things coming up that I needed to prepare for so I couldn't focus entirely on writing. That being said, I'll share some things I did learn in the days that I did write:

You need to train before you run a marathon. Writing 45k in two weeks is a big challenge, and the fact that I wasn't prepared for something like this didn't help. I'm not talking about lack of story prepping, because I did lots of that (all though a vague idea of plot), I'm talking about the fact that I was really rusty and didn't form a writing habit. I was out of writing shape and I needed to get in shape first before I do something like this.

The first draft will be crap. People really need to get this ingrained in their heads, the first draft will be crap. I wrote 5k words before I stopped, and it was 5k words of utter puke. If I continued, it would be 45k words of utter puke. And that's okay, because no one gets it right the first time around and you're just going to edit it afterwards so it doesn't matter if it's crap. Just write and finish that draft, or else you won't have much to work with.

Have a map if you need one. I did do some planning beforehand, but it wasn't very detailed and I didn't have much of a plot in mind. Not knowing what my plot was kind of slowed things down for me, because I didn't know where exactly where I was going. That's like having a map but not knowing where all the roads are, and it's easy to get lost that way. Note: Some people don't need a map and don't mind getting lost and that's okay. But for someone like me who likes to be thorough, I definitely need one.

If I finished my draft, or even did the challenge longer, I would've learned a lot more things to share! But I was no where near finishing so... :'D Still, I hope you find my advice useful in some way. ^^

I'll take on another challenge similar to this in the future. Camp NaNoWriMo is coming up in April, so maybe I'll spend time writing my draft in April! Right now, I'm just going to continue and plotting and planning until I feel its ready to be drafted.

Rozume
Veteran

#7 Post by Rozume »

Hey guys! I just wanted to let you all know that this project isn't dead, I'm still working on it in thinking about it!

I had spontaneously entered NaNoRenO in March and I'm slowly leaving NaNoRenO mode and moving into Camp NaNoWriMo mode. Hopefully by the end of April, I'll finish the first draft of the script. If not, then definitely in early May.

I h ave a schedule of sorts to keep me on track with the whole development process. I thought I'd share because some of you might find it interesting:

April - Writing Script
May - Visual Development and Skill Development (i.e. I improve and learn new skills needed for the project)
June - Editing and Skill Development. This month I'll also find an editor and proofreader to collaborate with me.
July - I get to art assets. This month focuses on backgrounds (orz)
August - Backgrounds/Sprites
September - Sprites/CGs. I'll also find a musician to collaborate with me on the music.
October - Finishing up CGs/Start on GUI
November - I take some time aside to participate NaNoWriMo. However, I will also spending the month programming and polishing things.
December - Testing and release on December 21

....And that's about a 9-month development period! Hopefully I'll be able to stay on track. ^^ I'll probably take some breaks here and there but that's how I plan things to go.

Edit: Thinking about it, this project will probably take more than 9 months so disregard my schedule. ^^