Adrift [scifi][comedy][drama]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Queex
Regular

Adrift [scifi][comedy][drama]

#1 Post by Queex »

Who wants knockabout sci-fi action with the mismatched crew of small smuggling vessel?* I'm willing to bet someone does.

Take on the role of Lelenc, last colonist of PZ-57, as she joins siblings Harc and Baj on board the Schauobjekt. Thrill as they barely escape with their lives time after time!

Harc: "The thing is, that cache we mentioned? It's not exactly ours."
Baj: "It would have been, once we'd picked it up."
Harc: "Technically, it belongs to Gonosz."
Baj: "You wouldn't know him, but he's seriously bad news around these parts."
Harc: "Piracy, slavery, smuggling, murder for hire - you name it, he's into it. Him and his fleet of goons."
Lelenc: "You were going to steal from this man."
Baj: "It's not as daft as it sounds. He already hates our guts."

Currently assembling the Prologue, which should introduce the core characters and set things up, and serve as a proper baptism of fire for working with Ren'Py. Once that's done, I can see exactly where I want to go with it, what length to aim for et cetera. Hoping to bring to bear some of my experience in comedy improv and writing for the stage. Graphics are the main sticking point, of course, and I haven't decided what to do about them yet.

Design goals:
  • Build up the main character, and how other characters react to her, based the personality the player choose for her as tracked by conversation choices.
  • Place the player not as the captain, but as a valued crew member - hopefully this should make the plot rails rather less obvious and somewhat more forgiveable.
  • Puzzle minigame for fixing parts of the ship.
  • Combat minigame (loosely based on the Artemis bridge simulator) for ship to ship combat.
Lelenc: "I can give it excess power it. We won't need to use it again."
Harc: "Overpowering lift engines? Don't they get a bit... explodey... if you do that to them?"

Current state:
  • Prologue scripting complete.
  • First minigame engine working.
Current tasks:
  • Revise script for prologue.
  • Polish fixer minigame presentation.
  • Implement additional piece rules for fixer minigame.
  • Implement scoring for fixer minigame.
  • Implement fixer minigame gallery.
EDIT 20/3/15: Updated progress and tasks.

* If you're thinking Firefly, you should probably be thinking something closer to Cowboy Bebop.
Last edited by Queex on Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

Re: Adrift [scifi][comedy][drama]

#2 Post by qirien »

Sounds like a cool concept! You might want to choose a different name, though, as there is already a sci-fi VN called Adrift. :D

Also, I love when characters have relationships they already have, such as siblings. Fun choice!
Finished games:

Queex
Regular

Re: Adrift [scifi][comedy][drama]

#3 Post by Queex »

Aw, I guess it was too much to hope for that a single-word title would be unclaimed. Time to consult the thesaurus.