Dreaming Forest [G/BxG][G/BxB][Fantasy][Working Title]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
pinkpumpkins

Dreaming Forest [G/BxG][G/BxB][Fantasy][Working Title]

#1 Post by pinkpumpkins »

Hi! This is my first time posting here, so hopefully you'll bear with me if I make some mistakes. ^^" This is a little project I thought up to test my skills at programming a simple VN with several endings :D Unfortunately, I have a habit of not making anything simple for myself, so I ended up with a relatively complex and time-consuming idea. While I'm not actually finished polishing the story, I do already have some art aspects done like the final designs for the characters and sketches of the backgrounds and CGs. This project is going to be a test for my skills in programming, writing and drawing. Hopefully I can produce a decent result!

Title: Dreaming Forest (Liable to change)

Game Details
Contains 2 gettable characters and 5 endings.

Story
Charley (name changeable) wakes up in a mysterious colourful forest, one day, and is not able to remember how they got there. Amidst their confusion, they spot a mysterious girl watching them from a distance among the brightly coloured trees. However, when they approach her, she turns around and runs deeper into the dense forest. Perhaps against their better judgment, Charley decides to follow the girl and hopefully get some answers instead of questions.

Charley soon finds out that there's far, far more to the forest and their two companions beyond their outlandish appearances.

Characters
Character rough sketch
Character rough sketch
Charley (Player can choose to be male or female): A straight-faced person with a dry sense of humour. They tend not to panic in the face of problems, remaining calm and rarely acts out of impulse. They don't put their trust on other people very easily, and finds it difficult not to think of the worst regarding the only two people they've met in the forest thus far. They don't remember anything beyond going to bed at night before they wake up in the forest, but they have a sinking suspicion that Carrie and Ava seem to know about their mysterious circumstance more than they let on...

Carrie (female): A girl who Charley meets in the forest. She's not much of a talker, often saying as little as possible and cutting conversations short. Though most may mistake her actions as cold, she's just really shy when it comes to strangers. She's actually very warm and big-hearted when people manage to get her to open up. Charley finds the way she avoids talking about the forest extremely suspicious, seeing as Ava readily gives out information about it. She also clams up whenever Charley asks about her personal life.

Ava (male): A young man Charley stumbles across when searching for Carrie. Ava is talkative and cheerful, talking to Charley as if they've known each other forever. He has a passion for botany and happily relays Charley information about the forest they're in, down to the many species of strange plant life that grows there. Ava is a bit of a scatterbrain, getting lost in thought frequently and often forgets conversations in mere seconds. Charley suspects that his quirk might be a ruse, seeing as how he conveniently 'loses his train of thought' whenever certain subjects come up.

Game Progress
As mentioned above, I'm not quite done polishing up the story so I haven't actually started on my script. Luckily, I have most of the story down so I could start on working on the art aspects. I've uploaded a sample CG below, but I've also done the rough sketches of the sprites, BGs and CGs (The only reason I'm only showing one is because I took the time to actually clean that one up ^^"). I'm even half done with the first background. I'll most likely use free resources for music and such, but if anyone is willing to offer their help I'm more than happy to accept! :D GUI..we'll see about GUI. I have absolutely zero experience with making GUI, and while I'm not very confident I will at least try to make something.
CG sample rough sketch
CG sample rough sketch
QUESTIONS
1. What do you think of my idea so far?
2. Are you interested in knowing more?
3. Any tips, suggestions or critiques is most welcome!
Thank you for taking the time to read! :D

sherberrie
Regular

Re: Dreaming Forest [G/BxG][G/BxB][Fantasy][Working Title]

#2 Post by sherberrie »

It's sounds very lovely~ I like the idea of a magical fantasy forest and I hope to see some insight of it! In addition, the characters look very interesting! I can't decide who is cuter between Carrie and Ava. And it's always nice to see queer couples in VNs.

Of course!

Ava's arm in that CG looks a bit strange. I suggest you polish up your anatomy, but besides that, I'm hyped! Good luck on completing this~

Michalina
Regular

Re: Dreaming Forest [G/BxG][G/BxB][Fantasy][Working Title]

#3 Post by Michalina »

I like it! It sounds very mysterious and I' really interested in fantasy games. Other than that-I really like the characters, especially the main character! <3 A straight-faced and calm character is so refreshing and diffrent from all these clumsy and silly main characters.

Yup, the premise sounds interesting, but we still don't know that much, so I'd love to know more about the whole story, like how and why did Charley end up in that forest c:

In that CG Charley's hands are too small. Besides that, I don't have any experience in making vns, so I can just wish you good luck with the game, because it looks really good :D