Laralahasa: The Infinite City (Supernatural, SciFi, Mystery)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Stilts
Regular
Projects: The Underdogs Tale, Slit-mouth Girl, Passion Sync, Eye Growth
Deviantart: StiltsDA

Laralahasa: The Infinite City (Supernatural, SciFi, Mystery)

#1 Post by Stilts »

I decided to get off of my lazy ass to try something I've always wanted to do: Make a game! Or direct one at least ._.

The Story:

The story is set in the fantastic city of Laralahasa, where the laws of physics and common sense no longer have any meaning. A surreal place where the events that took place in the craziest and weirdest dreams you've ever had happen on a daily basis. Impossible space, doors to nowhere, doors to everywhere, structures that shouldn't be able to physically possible, all of these things exist in the seemingly endlessly expanding city. Despite all this the residents of this city have learned to live comfortably and accept these things as the normal, forming large, relatively isolated, populations. The story will follow a group of three young girls who, as they go about their daily lives, stumble upon a mystery that could lead them to the origins of Laralahasa.

The City:

Several large scale communities's known as "Districts" dotted across a section of Laralahasa and linked together by stabilized portals are collectively referred to as "The Grid". The four largest districts are: Corvis, Orn, Lana, and Shura. While communities do exist off the grid they are very rare and often not very big.

Inhabited area's of Laralahasa are given a "Stability Rating" ranging from one to five based on the severity and and frequency of strange phenomenon. The higher the rating assigned to an area the safer its considered to be and, consequentially, the more expensive it is to live there.

Characters:

Sasha: -Sasha is a foul mouthed, crass and very rebellious child with serious issues with authority. Her loud style of dress and her dyed hair of various purples make her stand out in any crowd despite her rather short stature. She has a surprisingly wide vocabulary despite her lack of proper schooling, which isn't uncommon in some parts of Laralahasa, and can be very eloquent when it comes to certain things. She is, however, incredibly blunt and rarely considers the other parties feelings when speaking her mind and will often say incredibly insensitive things without realizing it.

Sarah: One of Sasha's oldest and best friends. Sarah grew up in an extremely unstable part of Laralahasa and, as a result, has grown accustomed to dealing with any strange phenomenon that may occur. She's somewhat sarcastic and rarely shows emotion in her voice but genuinely cares for her two friends, even if she has trouble expressing it.

Saya: A sociable and charismatic girl who became fast friends with Sasha and Sarah, despite having only met them fairly recently. She has a wide breadth of knowledge, especially when it comes to the city, and seems to have a deep interest in enigmatic origins and workings of Laralahasa. Her large circle of connections and contacts seems to extend far beyond that of a normal teenager... perhaps there's more to Saya than meets the eye?

Other Notes:

I'll be needing a couple writers and definitely a programmer/coder in the future. I'm also considering looking for a background artist as well since I have no background in backgrounds - hahahaha, cue sardonic laughter - but I can probably manage backgrounds on my own if need be. Other than that I can handle character and logo design, sprite work, UI design, and proofreading by myself.

(*) Sasha was originally made for a different game that never really went anywhere, I really didn't want her design to go to waste so I'm re-using it for this game, albeit with a couple minor changes to character and design.

I don't plan on putting the project into full swing until I finish all the concept art, character designs, backgrounds and a rough outline of the script though.
Attachments
Some of the more industrialized parts of the city.
Some of the more industrialized parts of the city.
Last edited by Stilts on Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:10 am, edited 16 times in total.

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

Re: A surreal setting, stylish characters (Supernatural, Sci

#2 Post by infel »

It could go somewhere.....Maybe....I just haven't had the best of luck with it :( .
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

Stilts
Regular

#3 Post by Stilts »

infel wrote:It could go somewhere.....Maybe....I just haven't had the best of luck with it :( .
Its been nearly a year since I heard anything so I kind of assumed the thing was dead.

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games

#4 Post by infel »

I haven't been doing to well, so I'm just getting back. But I wish you the best of luck with your new game and all. It's seems like something really interesting. Good luck.

Patreon

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Stilts
Regular

#5 Post by Stilts »

I'm sorry to hear that but I'm glad your doing well and that your back now :)
And thanks, I'm happy to hear you think its interesting. I still need to decide on a lot of stuff though. Probably gonna sketch up some rough scenery designs and get a couple of the main cast's designs down this weekend.

infel
Veteran

#6 Post by infel »

Thank you and np =). I'm excited to see what you make of this =). It'll be cool to see Sasha as a main character =).

Patreon

Current Projects

noctos
Regular
Projects: Aeris
Tumblr: noctos

#7 Post by noctos »

I like this! The character design seems interesting and the plot piqued my interest. I've always liked ideas that are a little different and "out there."

What kind of "mood" will the game have? I get that the setting is surreal, but what about the story? Will it be mystery, horror, slice-of-life, romance, or perhaps tragedy? Sasha looks like a dynamic character, so I think you could do some fun stuff with her in the center.

Stilts
Regular

#8 Post by Stilts »

noctos wrote:I like this! The character design seems interesting and the plot piqued my interest. I've always liked ideas that are a little different and "out there."

What kind of "mood" will the game have? I get that the setting is surreal, but what about the story? Will it be mystery, horror, slice-of-life, romance, or perhaps tragedy? Sasha looks like a dynamic character, so I think you could do some fun stuff with her in the center.
I'm planning on going for a lighthearted, slice of life, feeling with a dash of comedy and a touch of mystery for Sasha's story. Though this may not necessarily be the case for all of the other character. The beauty of such an abstract setting is that I can literally have any kind of story I want which would allow me to give my co-writers a ton of creative freedom once I (hopefully) find some. As for the story structure I'm thinking of having either several loosely connected stories or having the stories start off unconnected to each other and begin to converge near the end of the game.

On an unrelated note I've come up with the Cities name: Laralahasa. It has no meaning, its literally something I just pulled out of my head.

Stilts
Regular

#9 Post by Stilts »

Added concept art for one of the main characters named Sarah, still in the works though, may change her clothes.

Stilts
Regular

Re: Laralahasa: The Infinite City (Supernatural, Sci-Fi)

#10 Post by Stilts »

Added some concept art of the city. Still kinda new to doing BG stuffs though so it didn't quite turn out how I wanted it too. :/

Anyway this pic offers a glimpse at the most industrialized part of the city. To give a rough idea as to how big the city is I put the little blue lights to kind of show where all the people were living.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#11 Post by Rinima »

I've been a fan of your art for a while now, so I'm excited to see it in a game (finally).

Good thing the story sounds awesome as well :D
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Stilts
Regular

#12 Post by Stilts »

Rinima wrote:I've been a fan of your art for a while now, so I'm excited to see it in a game (finally).

Thanks! Its super flattering to hear someone say they're a fan of my stuff. I kind of got tired of having all the games I do stuff for go quiet after a month or so I decided to just do one myself. Although its my first attempt at making a game so I'm admittedly stumbling around in the dark a bit. lol

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#13 Post by Rinima »

Stilts wrote:
Rinima wrote:I've been a fan of your art for a while now, so I'm excited to see it in a game (finally).

Thanks! Its super flattering to hear someone say they're a fan of my stuff. I kind of got tired of having all the games I do stuff for go quiet after a month or so I decided to just do one myself. Although its my first attempt at making a game so I'm admittedly stumbling around in the dark a bit. lol
Your very welcome~
And if you need a hand with idea bouncing and organising, just shoot me a PM :)
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Stilts
Regular

#14 Post by Stilts »

Rinima wrote:
Stilts wrote:

Your very welcome~
And if you need a hand with idea bouncing and organising, just shoot me a PM :)
I might just take you up on that some time. I still need to organize my notes though, they're a tad incoherent atm lol

Stilts
Regular

#15 Post by Stilts »

Added another character named "Saya" to go along with the naming trend for the other two girls Sasha and Sarah. Her jacket is an open kimono/yukata decorated with graffiti.
Gonna try and organize the post tomorrow.