2012 Apocalypse Squad [GxB, GxG] [Dark Magical Girl]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
wittyblather

2012 Apocalypse Squad [GxB, GxG] [Dark Magical Girl]

#1 Post by wittyblather »

2012 Apocalypse Squad
It is the year 2012. In six months, the world will end.

In ancient times -- before Pangea broke apart -- a race very near to humans sacrificed themselves to seal the great demon Beelzebub in the heart of the world. The spell was the single greatest act of magic ever performed, exacting the lives of all the Ancient Ones and erasing their legacy from history. And, even so, it was not enough.

Beelzebub would rise again to claim the world. Though the seal would hold for many thousands of years, it could not hold the king of demons forever.

To protect the world of the future, a powerful sorceress wove her will into a prophesy. Seven continents would there be, and a warrior imbued with the spirit of each. When the time of Beelzebub's awakening drew near, their own powers would unite and shield their beloved Earth from eternal darkness. They alone could succeed where the Ancient Ones had failed. It would be their destiny. It would be their duty.

Unfortunately, reality has a way of tearing such hopeful prophesies to shreds.

You are one of these storied heroes. You're a college student, a sister, a daughter, a friend. You're about the furthest thing from a warrior -- and in six months, the world will end.

What will you do?

About
2012 Apocalypse Squad is a visual novel about fitting in, growing up, and saving the world. Borrowing from such classics as Sailor Moon and Puella Magi Madoka Magica, it is solidly in the magical girl genre, with a darker and more realistic (though not necessarily more cynical) overtone. The game will feature stat-raising mechanics, but will focus more intensely on the girls of the Squad themselves, and how their personalities interact to shape their experiences as magical girls. It is also my first ever attempt at making a game, so we'll see how things go!

Planned Features
  • Branching dialogue to allow for a more customized protagonist
  • An assortment of hobbies and majors to make each playthrough unique
  • Multiple endings that reflect key in-game decisions
  • Six unique magical girls to befriend and fight alongside
  • Six romance paths with different ripple effects on the story
  • Narrative combat supported by a simple stats system
  • Variable battle outcomes, from unmitigated success to deadly failure
  • Relationship and Stress meters for each Squad member, with in-game effects and consequences for each
  • In-game secrets
  • Episodic storytelling format to recreate the feel of an anime series
Characters
Protagonist
A native Californian about to start your second year of college, you're a blank slate at the beginning of every playthrough. Will you major in psychology? English? Music? What will your hobbies be? Will you jump at the call of duty, or will you doubt the intentions of those who proclaim you a hero? Will your squadmates be valued friends or barely tolerated annoyances? Only you can decide how your magical girl story will unfold!

Camila Cardozo
Arguably the most popular girl on campus, Camila transferred from Brazil two years ago and has been rocking the campus (and the hearts of hapless young women) ever since. She has a keen eye for fashion and a shrewd head for business, setting her up for a bright future as a designer. As the magical girl of South America, she can control plants and the might of Earth itself. Feminine on the outside and hard as steel on the inside, this HBIC will crush her enemies in her mini-skirt and stiletto heels.

Aurelie Delacroix
Young Aurelie made all kinds of waves across Europe for her sensitive, virtuosic harp playing -- and yet she has chosen to continue her studies at some no-name American university? The decision has baffled the world of classical music. Known for her icy demeanor and her frightening devotion to practice, the girl has made few friends, despite her relative fame. Why does someone as dour as Aurelie possess the playful element of air? Will fighting as the magical girl of Europe bring down her oh-so-distant facade? Only time will tell.

Adaeze Grant
Scion of the prestigious Grant family and heir to their substantial fortune, the ambitious Adaeze has already become Student Body President for the University, and has no intention of stopping there. She's a girl who habitually speaks her mind and fights for what she believes in, no matter the cost. This brutal honesty has earned her both the admiration of her classmates and the wrath of upper-level executives, who don't like to see the boat rocked. With important internships to apply for and important change to enact, being thrust into the role of magical girl is something of a nightmare for her. But, if the world so desperately needs her, Adaeze will fight as the protector of Africa, wielder of flame!

Yuko Fukui
On the surface, Yuko's an unassuming chemistry major from Japan -- a girl of few words, save for the bitingly humorous remarks she makes from time to time. Little do her classmates know that she's actually a world-renowned card game champion, using her anonymity to strike fear into the hearts of her opponents. Being a rational girl with a general distaste for social interaction, Yuko's not exactly thrilled that the fate of the world rests upon her teaming up with others. But if she gets to wield the pure fury of metal and protect her home continent of Asia, then it might not be so terrible.

Hokulani Mahuiki
'Hokulani' is kind of a long name, so this Hawaiian girl prefers to go by Lani when she's not at home. She's a young woman of many talents, balancing swim team and a dance minor on top of the hours of reading and writing her English major requires. It would be enough to drive some mad, but Lani's never been one to let the stress of life get to her. Always ready with a kind smile and a listening ear, her many friends are what get her through tough times, and the impending apocalypse is no exception. Having been in and around the ocean all her life, it's no surprise that she controls water as the magical girl of Oceania. Beelzebub's hellish flames will be extinguished in time for her to finish her paper.

Antarctica
The prophesy says there are seven destined warrior, but who on Earth was born in Antarctica? Does anyone even live there? This could be a problem.
Enemies, allies, lovers -- much more to come!
FAQ
Is this going to be free or commercial?
I'd really like it if I could somehow turn this into a commercial product, but seeing as I'm as fresh-faced and inexperienced as you can get, we'll have to see. For now, the answer is 'undecided.' There's a lot more work to do before that question becomes pressing.

How long will it be?
Six (and a half) months of story is quite a lot, so it'll probably end up fairly lengthy. Though again, newbie developer. There's a chance I'm miscalculating.

What's the current progress?
The game's currently in the early planning stages. Character bios are just about finished, and I'm beginning to work on the main plot outline.

Where's the art?!
I can't draw at all, so I don't have anything to show for my ideas just yet. Alas. I'll be looking for an artist once it looks like things are more concrete.

Isn't this just Sailor Moon with continents instead of planets?
Pshaw, as if. *sweats nervously*

Let me know if this sounds like something you'd be interested in playing!

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

Re: 2012 Apocalypse Squad [GxB, GxG] [Dark Magical Girl]

#2 Post by Rinima »

Ohhh! I love the look of this! I'm a huge Madoka fan, so it's always nice to see a game that borrows from it :3
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Smudgeed
Regular
itch: smud

#3 Post by Smudgeed »

OH very, very cool idea. I love the sound of this game already. Good luck on your project! I look forward to hearing more about it :)

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#4 Post by Laiska »

wittyblather wrote:Isn't this just Sailor Moon with continents instead of planets?
Pshaw, as if. *sweats nervously*
Honestly I think that's a great idea xD

This sounds like it would be fun to play! Good luck with this!

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#5 Post by neuropsy »

Wow, I'm hooked!

As a fellow developer for a Magical Girl visual novel, I'm super interested to see where this is going. I love the idea of Magical Girls being from different continents. I was inspired by Puella Magi Madoka Magica, too!

I think all those features you have planned for your visual novel sound really neat, and would definitely encourage replay value! Coding all that is far too much of a daunting task for me, but if it's something you're determined to do, you have my full support! I'm really curious about the Magical Girl from Antarctica too, hehe. I have my own theories about that... (wow, neuropsy, making theories when this thread was posted less than a week ago!)

I'd definitely be interested in playing this game! I'm horrible with stat-raisers though if it isn't allocating to stats related to combat, so I'd probably need a walkthrough for that, pfft. xD

If you'd ever like to bounce off ideas of each other as fellow Magical Girl developers, I would love to!
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

Parataxis
Regular
Projects: Shadow City, Scribbles!
Tumblr: asktheprismguard

#6 Post by Parataxis »

This looks really fun! I really like the idea of heroes trying to prepare for an inevitable event. I think it really lends itself to the visual novel style since you have a good rigid structure for yourself (the thing that happens must always happen) but then you can also play with all the different ways it can play out. Do you think you will have encounters with monsters before the apocalypse to assemble the team? I'm really interested to see how this turns out, so I'll be following.