null

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Makudomi

null

#1 Post by Makudomi »

null
Last edited by Makudomi on Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Barakana [BxG]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Makudomi wrote: Protagonist-kun (name inputted at start)
主人公くん
Yes, that’s you. A young man from the great country of [censored] who has bid his hometown farewell (well, at least for a year) to take an intensive language course in the Land of the Rising Sun. You’ve been studying Japanese casually since high school, and have now made the life decision to get serious about it. You’re an even-tempered, perceptive and generally good-natured guy, though your personality will vary a bit after the Common Route depending on the heroine of your choosing. No, you are not really known as "Protagonist-kun".
It sounds like the main character has something of a history. How much personality does he have? How much is he a cipher or a reader-identification character? (For what it's worth, I have nothing against nameable protagonists. In my opinion, they can work well in video games that have moderate amounts of story.)
Makudomi wrote: Length: 3~4 months in-game, 4 hours of gameplay per route
Non-Commercial: Yes!
That seems like a big risk. Consider the following:

* Are you passionate enough about telling your story that you're willing to dedicate months or years to creating it?
* Can you persevere even if writing becomes boring or frustrating?
* Do you have experience working with a team, and making sure people stay accountable?
* Are you willing to routinely back up your work in several places?

One planned visual novel was cancelled because an indivisual on a team sabotaged it. A few have been cancelled because of a computer failure. Dozens of planned visual novels have been (quietly) cancelled because their creators lost interest, became overwhelmed, or had to deal with pressing real life problems. That said... please make sure that you're ready to spend a lot of time and effort to finishing your story.
Makudomi wrote: R-18: Undecided
Should you include any on-screen sex scenes? That's a good question. Think about how relevant they are to your story, and whether you think that explicit sex would enhance your story. Consider what you can do to make sure that sex scenes do not seem obligatory or tacked-on.

Some of the OJLVNs (original Japanese language visual novels) that I enjoyed from 2002 through about 2011 had a genuine story as well as some explicit content. However, there were times when I didn't find their adult content interesting, and I would sometimes wonder when the story would resume. That said... you don't need to pattern your work after a translated VN, or any specific work of fiction. I believe that you will benefit by writing the story that you want to create.

Makudomi

null

#3 Post by Makudomi »

null