Lemma Soft Forums

Supporting creators of visual novels and story-based games since 2003.

Visit our new games list, blog aggregator, IRC, and wiki.
Activation problem? Email pytom@bishoujo.us.
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:00 am 
Regular

Projects: By The Lake, Seraphine
Genre: Visual Novel, RPG, Fantasy

Story: Based in an original fantasy world, this is the story of how one woman changed an entire nation. "Seraphine" was the name of a child who held a unique ability to destroy demon-like creatures. However, she went missing somewhere in her childhood and was never heard of again. Since she was the last hope for the land, it quickly began to fall into ruin. The game tells the tale of the party that was formed to seek her out, and the romance in between.

Game Website: Click Here

Game Features:
  • GxB, GxG
  • 17+ Original Character Sprites
  • In-Game CGs
  • Full, Immersive Soundscapes
  • Unique RPG Battle System
  • 8+ Recruitable Characters
  • Multiple Endings
  • Ren'Py Engine
  • 640x480 Interface
  • Completely free =O

Characters:
Players can expect to play as the woman named Ëre. She is a hopeless helper at her local inn, and is a social outcast because people consider her mentally ill. She meets several characters, beginning with Basil, a very proud, but very exiled nobelman, and Lander, his sea-faring friend, who is more a gentleman than he appears. The rest are for you to discover! Everyone in this world has a secret it seems.

Image Image Image
Basil - Lander - Nyuda
Image Image Image
Waylon - Ysabel - Narkissa

Image Image Image

Battle System: As the player advances through the story, the characters may encounter a battle. This mini-game is different from typical RPG battles in that they are more tactical. Attacks can only be made if a character has enough attack points (AP), which they generate every turn. Only one character in the party can attack each turn before the enemy has a chance to retaliate.

There are only four active skills that each character can use in any given battle. The characters may learn more than four skills as the game progress, in which case four are randomly chosen for each particular battle. This allows battles to be more unpredictable, especially if you decide to play the game again.

Battles may be turned off if you decide to play for the story only.
Fun fact: the story comes from a failed attempt to complete the actual NaNoWriMo challenge. xD

Credits
Sprite artist: StriderDen
CG artist: blewh
Main Menu watercolor: LannySu
Background art: Naruse Naoko
Music: Erik Haddad
Testers: Glazed Donuts, broken_angel

Demo Download
Download Here (180mb)
Playtime: 2 Hours
Version: 2.1

Demo Notes:
- Voices are placeholders
- Some sound effects are on the music channel, because I have too many layers going on at once, so you might miss some SFX if you turn music off. No biggie.
- No EXP will be gained in the demo, mainly because I haven't coded it yet. Upgrading characters will mainly only be for their HP or attack DMG anyway. The main way to improve your characters, however, is by buying equipment at shops. You earn gold in battle or by completing quests (which often have battles).
- Animations and everything was coded before ATL, so things like fog and stuff might be a little buggy if I forgot to disable them before continuing or something. Still can't get the pan for moving in the wagon to work right without visibly jumping back to the start. ^^; Any tips on making a pan look endless are welcome.
- Locations are highlighted in yellow, and some you can actually click to view in the glossary.
- Not all glossary entries are there that should be, and most are just placeholders for when I actually sit down and write all the info about the towns. I also plan for each town's page to list the quests in them as a type of quest tracker.
- The demo is TWO HOURS or more, people. Be prepared. Think of it as a "chapter one" release of the story, though you'll have to replay it when the full thing is released. =P There is a lot of characterization and bumbling around. Hopefully it's not boring, but I want the characters and story to be real and involving. Otherwise I would've chosen another engine for this. I chose Ren'Py because I want to be able to storytell more than RPG.
- There are multiple branches in the story in just the demo alone. Multiple times, whether you have a moment with one of the guys depends on your actions you took previously. I can offer a walkthrough for getting either Basil's or Lander's scenes if you want to know what you're "missing."
- Stuff will be explained in the full game. Since I'm setting it up for the full game, which I predict will be long, answering every question in the span of the demo would be revealing my hand too early. Sorry if stuff confuses or intrigues you, but is just ignored. :( Also, since you'll probably wonder, naming Ere isn't useless, but the use isn't in the demo. But I mainly did it just to make fun of naming characters in general. I wrote that a long time ago.
- Just in general, I wrote most of this a long time ago, which is why it took so long to release. I was upgrading my crappy coding. =P
- Battles on/off in the the options screen doesn't work, and I'll likely take it out for the final game.
- The language is a bit stylized, so it might be difficult to understand for non-native English speakers. I'm sorry about that. >_<
- Prologue song is "Ivo Bene" by Mediva.

- The game will error when you quit, sometimes. I am working to resolve this.

Changes to 2.0 version:
- Added the option to turn battles OFF, and to give the option to make them EASY or HARD right before you start a new game. Easy battles halve the HP of enemies, and that's it. The "hard" difficulty was my normal difficulty that my testers hated, lol. xD So it's up to you how serious you want to take the battles.
- Added the Prologue, and the option to skip it. Just a sh*tty intro I wrote a long time ago to introduce the world. Art is by kryzenge.
- Added the Glossary. It's kinda buggy, but I'll be rewriting it when I have time so it flows better and doesn't require you to have to hit return twice to get back to the game.
- I now let the player shop and take on a Warden quest in Hodgewick. Before, the story was linear and just swept them out of the town. Now you can actually upgrade the characters for future battles, but only this once and who you can buy for depends on the actions you took before then ... so don't blow it, lol.
- Lander now comes with a shield! Yay for not dying so much!
- You can now cancel actions after you click them (the X in the middle of the screen), but ONLY for actions for more than one enemy. If there is only one enemy alive or in the battle, the action will happen immediately after you click, sorry!
- Added tutorial pages on the battles, though they suck. If any other battle stuff is unclear, I will address them.
- The game still ends after you leave Thjodhild ... I was going to open up the world so you can choose to end the demo or not, but would you guys want that even if you couldn't DO anything but just travel around? Well, you could tecnhically recruit Isolde if you had the gold, but no fights happen after that, so it's pointless. I haven't written the quests yet. >_<

Last edited by maselphie on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 31 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:02 pm 
Regular

Projects: Speed Dater Evolution, The Magistrate
:D It looks so beautiful and promising that it would be a shame to rush things too much ! Take the time you need !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:35 pm 
Regular

Thanks! I feel that way about anything I do ... I don't want to rush it. And then it ends up taking a year or two! =P
Well, at least NaNoRenO has motivated me to make solid decisions rather than brooding over them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:48 pm 
Eileen-Class Veteran

Completed: http://www.ayusakata.com/vn.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Oneiro, Backstage Pass
Organization: sakevisual
Twitter: @sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
No need to hurry, but keep moving no matter what.

This looks like it'll be a lot of fun, and I'm really liking Erë's design.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:59 pm 
Veteran

Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Naila's Tales
Organization: Ice Queen Games
:D This looks amazing, Maselphie, the artwork is so professional and the story is interesting. I hope you finish it before NaNoRenO!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:12 pm 
Regular

Thank you for the comments! You're right in that I don't want to rush it. But I should be nearly finished by April 1st, otherwise I'll get too consumed by my original VN project. So I'll agree to not let a limit hinder my quality too much. :)

Midnighticequeen, thank you! I'm hoping to have the game fully playable by NaNoRenO, but maybe I'll wait to release for quality control purposes ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:54 pm 
Veteran

Me too. I'm a little afraid that I won't make it, so I cut back a little on my expected images, but I'm not planing to half-ass anything just to make a deadline. I rather have a whole project that I'm proud of then, a on-time project where I cut back on a lot of the elements that my project needs.

And I can always add the extra stuff I wanted to do later. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:42 pm 
Veteran

Very nice! Your drawing and colouring skills are amazing. The characters all look distinct, which is tough to pull off. It looks like you've also developed your own backgrounds? They look gorgeous, and you deserve praise :).

It's nice how you created a battle system, too. I never have to patient for that. So, well done!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:24 am 
Lemma-Class Veteran

Organization: Happy Backwards
Midnighticequeen, yes we can always make a "super special edition" afterwards! ;)

M12, I've never colored before these sprites, so I doubt the coloring is any good. xD But I have to correct you, at this time, I do not have custom backgrounds ... at least, not yet. I'll have to consider it later. Right now, the backgrounds are filler. The interface is mine, but the location shots are free stock. =\

About the battle system, I was going to use RMXP to make this game, but none of the battle scripts were doing it for me. Since I was going to code it from scratch, might as well use Ren'Py! I don't want the entire focus of the game to be just the battles anyway. I have a lot of story to get through. >_>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:34 am 
Megane Procrastinator

Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: Re:Set, Morpheandir Tales, The Alliance, Althernis Precasted
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead
Wow! Another GXB! The menu looks very beautiful! And it's going to release in... april's fool!? XD
Anyway, good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:31 am 
Veteran

Awesome :D It looks like it's going to be better than ever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:31 pm 
Lemma-Class Veteran

Thanks, guys!!
As a girl, I know that there needs to be way more GxB games.
I don't think I will release by April 1st, however. =\
I'll try to get a demo out, though!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:45 am 
Veteran

Looking forward to this realease. I'm a fan of your chara design, and I like Seraphine ( I hope it's her ) a lot.
Here's a sketchy fanwork of her :)

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9296/serafanw.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:10 am 
Lemma-Class Veteran

Holy crap, blakjak! That's amazing!! You draw so beautifully! Seriously!
You honor me with your fanart, and I will be sure to display it when the game has a website (with your permission, of course). ^_^
Thank you soooo much!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:04 am 
Veteran

Hey Thanks for the feedback ! But it's your art that inspired me, you did a great job on the design.

Really glad you like the drawing, and of course, I'd be proud to have the drawing displayed on her site.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next