Seraphine: Into the Wind

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Seraphine: Into the Wind (fantasy rpg WIP)

#31 Post by Aleema »

Ramidel, thanks for pointing out something wrong with my website. I will take it down immediately and inspect what's wrong. I can't imagine what could be wrong since I built the code from scratch ... If you have anymore information for me, like what Trojan it's listed as or which pages it shows up on, please let me know. That kinda scares me ...
Edit: Scanned my files with Norton, with no results. More info will help me figure this out. I have a hunch it's the music files.

Anyway, about random skills. That's a perfectly reasonable concern. I assumed everyone would want the extra skills because they are more powerful, but most of them will be optional anyway because they'll come with side-quests. With four different characters in each battle, it would be a pain to micromanage what each character brings with them as well as which 4 characters to use. Also, the full range of skills each player can receive will be an average of 6, so an average of 2 would be left out each battle. With luck, it will be your least favorite skills. The choice to make skills random is to keep battles fresh and still a challenge. Kinda like a card game; sometimes you'll get 2's, and sometimes you'll get Kings -- just matters how you use them. But I guess all that is a moot point if you don't choose to get any extra skills to begin with. :P But I understand what you mean.

pinkmouse
Regular
Projects: A renpy beginner - test projects only atm

#32 Post by pinkmouse »

Aleema wrote:Ramidel, thanks for pointing out something wrong with my website. I will take it down immediately and inspect what's wrong. I can't imagine what could be wrong since I built the code from scratch ... If you have anymore information for me, like what Trojan it's listed as or which pages it shows up on, please let me know. That kinda scares me ...
Edit: Scanned my files with Norton, with no results. More info will help me figure this out. I have a hunch it's the music files.

Anyway, about random skills. That's a perfectly reasonable concern. I assumed everyone would want the extra skills because they are more powerful, but most of them will be optional anyway because they'll come with side-quests. With four different characters in each battle, it would be a pain to micromanage what each character brings with them as well as which 4 characters to use. Also, the full range of skills each player can receive will be an average of 6, so an average of 2 would be left out each battle. With luck, it will be your least favorite skills. The choice to make skills random is to keep battles fresh and still a challenge. Kinda like a card game; sometimes you'll get 2's, and sometimes you'll get Kings -- just matters how you use them. But I guess all that is a moot point if you don't choose to get any extra skills to begin with. :P But I understand what you mean.

Could you use the skills system as a kind of difficulty setting? i.e. if you have the game set on "easier" it will automatically optimize the skills for each battle from those available? Of course you'd still have to learn how to use them.

Just a thought.

PM
(hopeless at RPG battles)

Ramidel
Regular

#33 Post by Ramidel »

Ah, okay; the skills you get from sidequests are supposed to be few and better than normal so most players will always want them, as opposed to a strategic decision or a plot-guiding choice.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by Aleema »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Working in a bubble without outside input is never good for a game, so I'll definitely try to work in some way so that the user can design the battles how they want. I figured the major strategic decision would be which 4 characters to bring into battle (one focuses on healing spells, one on strong attacks, etc). The problem with you choosing only your strongest attacks for battle would mean that they would all cost more, and no one could attack right away because the stronger attacks cost too much AP. So it would be helpful to have someone with a 1AP attack so that someone could attack every turn.

Again, thanks for the insights, so I'll get to work on making a skill-selection screen. :)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Seraphine: Into the Wind (Fantasy GxB)

#35 Post by Aleema »

Long time since I updated this thread, but I've been making progress over that time. Demo got delayed because of work/school, but I want to do this so much, I don't care anymore. =P

I've taken your suggestions and I've implemented the ability to toggle on and off skills for each character, no matter how many they have. Right now, the max is 7 (6 normal, 1 Bonus from an accessory), but you must select at least 4 to battle. I plan on having an "easy" battle option, which I figure will just be halving the enemy HP. But for the demo, there will just be an on/off battle option.

Anyway, the CGs for the credits have been completed. Here are some previews ... Artist is blewh, colored by me.
Image Image
Ëre (left) in a valley flowers, and introducing Isolde (right), who is a gypsy smoke-dancer.

Demo will be out shortly. Reason it's taking so long is that the demo contains the framework of the entire game (battles, shops, travel, etc), so I'm basically trying to finalize the biggest part of the coding first. Good news is that it's almost finished, needs to be beta-tested first, and then the story will breeze by (already got it mapped out). I madly want to redo the interface, because I'm photoshop-happy, but I'll refrain myself ... for now. >_>

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#36 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Those are great CG!
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#37 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Wow! Fabulous art! Can't wait to see more progress - you're doing awesome! :D

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#38 Post by sake-bento »

Glad to see this is still moving along. It's a very impressive looking piece. ^-^

littleramyun
Regular
Projects: Don't Go Saiyuri!

#39 Post by littleramyun »

I'm glad you are still working on this project. Both your projects look great, I hope to play them both!
Indie Game Localization and Distribution

oiseau
Regular

#40 Post by oiseau »

Looking good! *thumbs up* The level of effort that you have put into your project is both admirable and impressive. Amazing. I can't wait for more screenshots and, better yet, the demo itself.
Up and coming visual novelist. Another girl obsessed with writing.
x-xImage
x-xJe pense, donc je suis~

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#41 Post by Aleema »

;_; Aww, thanks, you guys. I just hope I don't disappoint.

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#42 Post by VenusEclipse »

Anyway, the CGs for the credits have been completed. Here are some previews ... Artist is blewh, colored by me
What the, the coloring is great! XD!

*Can't wait for the demo.

Glazed Donuts
Regular

#43 Post by Glazed Donuts »

Wow, this is very awesome! The atmosphere of those screenshots remind me of playing D&D. The interfaces/GUI are very polished! Your project looks very inspiring :) Very awesome job so far! Good luck with your release!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#44 Post by Aleema »

Eeeeh, that's cool to hear, Donuts! :D I was starting to seriously doubt if anyone would be interested in the game anymore, heh. It's taught me so much of Ren'Py, and it's pretty cool in my mind, I just think everything else other people are doing is way cooler. =\ BUT, I will continue to work on it, in private, and I will release it one day. So, yeah. Thanks for the support!

Glazed Donuts
Regular

#45 Post by Glazed Donuts »

I'm somewhat new to the VN genre. I've played a few in the past, but it's a genre I wanted to revisit and learn more about. I can see how a project like this can help you learn Ren'Py more. There seems to be a lot of neat features included in your game :)