Seraphine: Into the Wind

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Seraphine: Into the Wind (Fantasy RPG)

#61 Post by Aleema »

broken_angel wrote:I would love to be a tester/editor. C:
Yay!! I would love for you to be a tester. Y'all are so quick to help. <3

-I now have 2 testers, and that's all I think I need at the moment, thanks everyone!-
Last edited by Aleema on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gryphbear
Regular

#62 Post by Gryphbear »

Aleema wrote:
broken_angel wrote:I would love to be a tester/editor. C:
Yay!! I would for you to be a tester. Y'all are so quick to help. <3

-I now have 2 testers, and that's all I think I need at the moment, thanks everyone!-
Awww, I missed out. :) That's okay. I've been waiting for a demo since I started looking at this thread ;)
WIP: Ring av Guder - (Contemporary Fantasy VN/Dating Sim?)

What do you get when you inherit a mystical ring, meet Norse Dieties, and Werewolves, Satyrs, or Dwarves? Possibilities.

General Completion: 5% - (Still working on story plot.)
Story status: 1% (In progress of revamping)
Scripting: 1% (Prologue is about done)
Character Art: 0% (Would like to find a Bara-type Artist, but will learn to draw them myself if necessary)
BG/CG's: 0% (None so far)

irbis96

#63 Post by irbis96 »

this looks really cool,i can't wait to see the final result! but,anyway,as the others said,you really don't have to rush
keep it up ^_^

Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

#64 Post by Chansel »

Uwa ~ you're really almost finished with a demo?
Bosslady, you're one hell of a multitasker ^^ Guess this is what you get when you can't play other games? Hmm... Maybe I should stop playing games myself and start working more... hehe.

Anyway, shame I missed out on the beta-tester chance. Are you sure you couldn't use one extra? Maybe? Hm?

If not, then I’ll just wait patiently until it’s released to the public… … …

Xx
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#65 Post by Aleema »

Chansel wrote:Uwa ~ you're really almost finished with a demo?
Bosslady, you're one hell of a multitasker ^^ Guess this is what you get when you can't play other games? Hmm... Maybe I should stop playing games myself and start working more... hehe.

Anyway, shame I missed out on the beta-tester chance. Are you sure you couldn't use one extra? Maybe? Hm?

If not, then I’ll just wait patiently until it’s released to the public… … …
THREE sets of ellipses? Well ... maybe. But the game is pretty embarrassing. >_< There's so much crap going on at once, I wouldn't be surprised if there's 32908234 bugs. And after archiving my files, I realized I did a big no-no and wasn't case-sensitive on some file names, so something might register as being missing because I had it capitalized in the script, etc. My last ditch efforts fix this might have just made more bugs, too. I've spent the last couple days making the battle system complete, and rewriting a lot of code since I wrote most of it a looong time ago before I knew all the tricks of the trade. Which I am happy with. It's so much easier to make battles, when before it was hit and miss with whether it would crash or not, hah.

But, yeah, no games to play and lots of caffeine makes Aleema a productive girl. (i hate you and your fablez. you'll probably be too busy playing it to playtest for me anyway. >=[)

Combine this with my internet cutting out every ten minutes, uploading is a b*tch. Just heads up, the game demo is 170mb. >_< So it's probably not even worth downloading. I know that's a lot, so I will probably release 2 version: one with SFX, and one with only ambiance/battle stuff or something.

Even though I'm releasing this after RockRobin, please don't expect the game to be as good as, let alone better than RockRobin. It's got a cliche plot, inconsistent interface, the character art isn't fab anime so it might even be ugly, and my coloring of the characters makes me cringe and probably just ruins them completely (I'll probably recolor them before final release ...), the demo itself is too long since I wanted to start from the beginning but advance enough to introduce the main plot, the overhead map system wasn't introduced since it would've forced the game to be cut off abruptly instead of on a concluding note, the character voices in battle are just fillers until I get voice actors, some char expressions are just odd as hell ... BLAH, so many excuses. Basically, this game was really made for me. It was fun to code and write, and it taught me almost everything I know about Ren'Py, so I owe it a lot. I just don't know if you guys will like it. =\

Gryphbear
Regular

#66 Post by Gryphbear »

Aleema wrote:
Combine this with my internet cutting out every ten minutes, uploading is a b*tch. Just heads up, the game demo is 170mb. >_< So it's probably not even worth downloading. I know that's a lot, so I will probably release 2 version: one with SFX, and one with only ambiance/battle stuff or something.
I don't mind downloading a 170mb demo ;) lol.
Aleema wrote: Basically, this game was really made for me. It was fun to code and write, and it taught me almost everything I know about Ren'Py, so I owe it a lot. I just don't know if you guys will like it. =\
Oh, I'm sure it'll be survivable (at least) lol. Considering the work you put into it, and Rock Robin... :)

I really do wanna see how the RPG battles are handled though. I don't see many RPG VNs around. (Although that could just be because I'm not digging around too hard lol)
WIP: Ring av Guder - (Contemporary Fantasy VN/Dating Sim?)

What do you get when you inherit a mystical ring, meet Norse Dieties, and Werewolves, Satyrs, or Dwarves? Possibilities.

General Completion: 5% - (Still working on story plot.)
Story status: 1% (In progress of revamping)
Scripting: 1% (Prologue is about done)
Character Art: 0% (Would like to find a Bara-type Artist, but will learn to draw them myself if necessary)
BG/CG's: 0% (None so far)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#67 Post by Aleema »

Testers say I made the battles too hard. xD So I'll make an option before you start the game to turn the battles OFF, or choose between EASY and HARD battles. What I have now will be "hard", I guess. :P I was going to have the on/off battles thing anyway, just not for the demo. Anyway. Just a reminder: this is NOT your average RPG. The battle system is not traditional. Hopefully you'll play with an open mind. >_<

Still. I'm thinking about not releasing the demo because I'm not sure enough happens in the whopping 2 hours. There are some things I introduce that I can't tie up for the mere sake of the demo, and if I leave them out, I feel the game is missing something important, so ... blah. I have so much insecurity about this game. =P

I'll also try to get the glossary working for the demo, too. The testers didn't complain for not knowing what the heck was going on, but it would still be nice if you could check up on what the heck I'm talking about if you wanted to.

Anyway. I'll finish up the demo once I get some editing feedback. Play if you want. I DON'T CARE ANYMORE. When I finish RockRobin, I'm going to work on this game, whether you guys like it or not!! xD

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#68 Post by azureXtwilight »

Aleema wrote:
Anyway. I'll finish up the demo once I get some editing feedback. Play if you want. I DON'T CARE ANYMORE. When I finish RockRobin, I'm going to work on this game, whether you guys like it or not!! xD
Hurray!!!
That is what we all are waiting for~! :D

Chansel
Veteran

#69 Post by Chansel »

First of all:
Sorry for the late reply. I was to busy plaing my ‘Fablez’. Mwahaha Though I must say I liked fable 2 more. Meh.

Secondly:
I’m sure the game will be great. Even if it isn’t at RockRobin’s level. Though if it’s, like, 1/10 of RR level, them I’m sure it’ll rock! (or, you know, be awesome :P)

Thirdly:
So you better damn well upload the demo for all to see!

Fourthly:
I’m off again to replay Fable 3 and swoon over Ben Finn… hmm… he’s smexy!

Xx

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#70 Post by Aleema »

:( Should I? My first tester hasn't finished it, so I guess it's boring (or she got a case of the Fablez, too), so ... =P
I dunno. I have the game set up to be a long RPG, so you don't meet all the characters yet, and you get to intimately know the three main ones for probably too long. Damn characterization. >_<

If y'all hated RockRobin, this would have been a lot easier, lol.

Sorry for being so emo about this. o_O It seems I adopt the personality of whatever character I'm working on.

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

#71 Post by broken_angel »

It's an entirely different genre from Rock Robin, so I don't think you can even begin to compare the two.
They're both great in their own way. :3

And it's not boring, just...as you said, long. xD
It was longer than I expected for a demo, yes, but I didn't get bored at all...and that's saying something, because most VNs lose my interest within 15-20 minutes.

There are some parts that could be edited out if you feel that it needs to be a little shorter, but I think it's good that you took so much time to set them up thoroughly. ^^

Aetheria
Regular

#72 Post by Aetheria »

Speaking as an RPG fan, I totally don't mind giving a game a lot of time to set up the background story and introduce characters, so long as the story and characters are interesting. If there's lots of redundant or pointless dialogue ("We must rescue the princess!" "I agree, the princess must be rescued!" "So that's our mission: to rescue the princess?" "Yes, as I said before, it's vital that we rescue the princess." "Well come on guys, it looks like we have a princess to rescue."), that's not good, but I think players are usually willing to take on a long story if it's well-written.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to playing the demo, since I've been lurking around the forums watching this project for a while. It's always nerve-wracking releasing something for public comment, but I'm sure it'll be awesome! :D

Chansel
Veteran

#73 Post by Chansel »

Two hours sounds like playing paradise to me, really. I'm not sure why you're fretting over that so much.
Think about it, have you ever played a good VN / RPG where you thought "Darn, this game is too long! I want it to be shorter." ? I know I haven't.

So stop beating yourself up over this. I'm positive you're just being nervous for the release and that it's going to be freakin' awesome. I mean, you were nervous for RockRobin's release to, right? And look how that turned out ;)

Xx

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#74 Post by Aleema »

Ah, well, you guys are really supportive. Reminds me why I stick around here. :3
I'll post the demo once someone gives it a good editing once over. As angel said to me, there are supposedly a lot of typos. xD

The only reason the game is 2 hours (30k words says lint, + battle times) is because I wanted to introduce the main storyline. YES, it takes 2 hours to get to it. And then the game just ends. =P You meet some new party characters immediately after that point, but it's looong enough. So, you only meet around 4 party characters.

@Aetheria: Thanks for dropping a line to cheer me up. :D lol @ at your example. I agree and wish it was rarer than it is.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#75 Post by Aleema »

Hooookay. Demo is up. It's 180mb.

I'm using Dropbox as the file host, and I'm not sure how it fares for bulk downloads, so please let me know if it fails or doesn't work for you.

I made some big revisions after the beta testers finished playing, so that's why it took so long.

Demo notes:
- Voices are placeholders
- Some sound effects are on the music channel, because I have too many layers going on at once, so you might miss some SFX if you turn music off. No biggie.
- No EXP will be gained in the demo, mainly because I haven't coded it yet. Upgrading characters will mainly only be for their HP or attack DMG anyway. The main way to improve your characters, however, is by buying equipment at shops. You earn gold in battle or by completing quests (which often have battles).
- Animations and everything was coded before ATL, so things like fog and stuff might be a little buggy if I forgot to disable them before continuing or something. Still can't get the pan for moving in the wagon to work right without visibly jumping back to the start. ^^; Any tips on making a pan look endless are welcome.
- Locations are highlighted in yellow, and some you can actually click to view in the glossary.
- Not all glossary entries are there that should be, and most are just placeholders for when I actually sit down and write all the info about the towns. I also plan for each town's page to list the quests in them as a type of quest tracker.
- The demo is TWO HOURS or more, people. Be prepared. Think of it as a "chapter one" release of the story, though you'll have to replay it when the full thing is released. =P There is a lot of characterization and bumbling around. Hopefully it's not boring, but I want the characters and story to be real and involving. Otherwise I would've chosen another engine for this. I chose Ren'Py because I want to be able to storytell more than RPG.
- There are multiple branches in the story in just the demo alone. Multiple times, whether you have a moment with one of the guys depends on your actions you took previously. I can offer a walkthrough for getting either Basil's or Lander's scenes if you want to know what you're "missing."
- Stuff will be explained in the full game. Since I'm setting it up for the full game, which I predict will be long, answering every question in the span of the demo would be revealing my hand too early. Sorry if stuff confuses or intrigues you, but is just ignored. :( Also, since you'll probably wonder, naming Ere isn't useless, but the use isn't in the demo. But I mainly did it just to make fun of naming characters in general. I wrote that a long time ago.
- Just in general, I wrote most of this a long time ago, which is why it took so long to release. I was upgrading my crappy coding. =P
- Battles on/off in the the options screen doesn't work, and I'll likely take it out for the final game.
- The language is a bit stylized, so it might be difficult to understand for non-native English speakers. I'm sorry about that. >_<
- Prologue song is "Ivo Bene" by Mediva.
- The game will error sometimes when you quit. I am working to resolve this.

Changes to 2.0 version:
- Added the option to turn battles OFF, and to give the option to make them EASY or HARD right before you start a new game. Easy battles halve the HP of enemies, and that's it. The "hard" difficulty was my normal difficulty that my testers hated, lol. xD So it's up to you how serious you want to take the battles.
- Added the Prologue, and the option to skip it. Just a sh*tty intro I wrote a long time ago to introduce the world. Art is by kryzenge.
- Added the Glossary. It's kinda buggy, but I'll be rewriting it when I have time so it flows better and doesn't require you to have to hit return twice to get back to the game.
- I now let the player shop and take on a Warden quest in Hodgewick. Before, the story was linear and just swept them out of the town. Now you can actually upgrade the characters for future battles, but only this once and who you can buy for depends on the actions you took before then ... so don't blow it, lol.
- Lander now comes with a shield! Yay for not dying so much!
- You can now cancel actions after you click them (the X in the middle of the screen), but ONLY for actions for more than one enemy. If there is only one enemy alive or in the battle, the action will happen immediately after you click, sorry!
- Added tutorial pages on the battles, though they suck. If any other battle stuff is unclear, I will address them.
- The game still ends after you leave Thjodhild ... I was going to open up the world so you can choose to end the demo or not, but would you guys want that even if you couldn't DO anything but just travel around? Well, you could tecnhically recruit Isolde if you had the gold, but no fights happen after that, so it's pointless. I haven't written the quests yet. >_<

Bug reporting would be nice. Catching typos would be cool, too! The glossary and personal discussions are likely to be more typo-prone. >_<
Last edited by Aleema on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.