Alex's Problem (WIP)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Freelancer
Regular
Completed: Right in Two
Projects: Alex's Problem

Alex's Problem (WIP)

#1 Post by Freelancer »

First off that is just a place holder title that will only stay if I can't think of a better one.

Alright, I'm trying not to say too much about the story line so I don't reveal the twist, but It's about a guy named Alex Bradley who has a peculiar problem. Well at first it's just a series of unconnected petty annoyances but they begin to pile up.
This was originally supposed to be a short KN that introduced the Character of Alex but... It seems to have grown to more than that as my skills as a programmer grow. I honestly have no Idea how many lines of dialog it will have or how many choices. I have decided to halt progress on the story until I get what I need.

Artists. I need Character art and BGs, and of course someone who will work with me as I try to communicate a picture in my head.

There are 4 characters with 6 expressions each. 1 character who has 1 expression. and 10 backgrounds.There is a (Surefire) chance that I will use this VNs art on later projects.

Just PM me for details.

Alright, I've been working on this and I figured I needed to update this page.. There are many choices already and the choices can effect parts of the story later down the road.
The choices do not drastically change the "Path" you are on, but they do change parts of the story that are not following choices.
I have high hopes for this VN(It's now officially a VN)
I may need another Background artistand I do need Background music.
PM me for details.

PS I would post a screenshot but I'm not sure how to take a Screenshot.

EDIT7/16/10:I've found a music man...Me! I'll be making the Background music on this project! I have the first piece of background music uploaded here. It's going to be the background music for the regular scenes. You know, when nothing special is happening.
EDIT11/12/10:I've decided to post some of the art for my story here.
These pics will be on both the first page and the latest page(At the time of this post) in case anyone misses them.
A big arrigato for Venus Rose who did all the character art and the special event scenes.
For Jinzou Tammashii, for the airbrushed backgrounds that probably won't appear in game but will probably be in an extra's section (If I can figure out how to code that before I finish)
For Morrhiggan for offering to do the Line art for the Backgrounds, and for Afterall for offering to fill in that very same line art.
And, of course, for anyone who is even slightly interested in it.
Now here are the Characters.
^Alexander Bradley^
Age 19
The Main Character of the story. Sarcastic and aloof, he keeps people at arms length, but when they come just closer than that he hugs them tightly and never lets go. He is considered Intelligent and hard working, but he sees himself as a moron and a slacker. He has always had a few unique problems and nothing in his life has ever felt entirely "Right" but he isn't sure about what exactly is "Off"
^Melinee Hartman^
Age 20
"Airheaded, walking garbage disposal with a kind heart" as Alex calls her. She (Unlike Alex) has a license, and drives to and from the college.She does better in class than Alex except during tests. She and Alex met 6 months ago.
^Michelle Bradley^
Age 29(For the 10th time)
Usually hostile and instantly aggressive.Alex's mom is not a person to be messed with. Gifted with dominance of people, In the past she had a large following that would listen to every thing she'd say, and do whatever she asked. She hasn't lost this power, but instead decided to stop using it until she needs it again. She loves her son very much and considers him her reason to keep living.
^The Teacher^
Age 35
Teaches the programing class at Green River community college. Is his interest in Alex more than academic?
Last edited by Freelancer on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
[WIP] Alex's Problem
It's my first VN so I'm excited. :D
Character, BG, and CG artists are filled
Right in Two has been released. Download it today!

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: Alex's Problem (WIP)

#2 Post by JinzouTamashii »

It does my heart good to see so many new projects released.

I really am booked at the moment as a background artists on non-paying games, but I wish you the best and I can't wait for what Alex's "problem" is. ε-(´・`) I am half-tempted to PM you for the details, anyway, out of curiosity...

Kinetic novels are very good for beginners.

And with only four characters, you'll write a story with a very strong main cast.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Freelancer
Regular

#3 Post by Freelancer »

JinzouTamashii wrote:It does my heart good to see so many new projects released.

I really am booked at the moment as a background artists on non-paying games, but I wish you the best and I can't wait for what Alex's "problem" is. ε-(´・`) I am half-tempted to PM you for the details, anyway, out of curiosity...

Kinetic novels are very good for beginners.

And with only four characters, you'll write a story with a very strong main cast.
Thank you. I'm excited when I think about how close I am to publishing my first VN. (Which by the way it will be a VN with probably 2 different endings maybe a 3rd.)

Honestly it's very difficult for me to keep the details of this under wraps but I'm trying for my story's sake.

The more I think about this project though the more concerned I am with the fact that I don't think it has any underlying message. I'm also concerned with the depth of the characters. I am determined to release this however and just make my next story have more meaning and be deeper than this one.

It occurred to me that I may have to mention that this is a non paying project. I'm doing this for the fun of telling a story.
[WIP] Alex's Problem

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by JinzouTamashii »

I'll say the same thing I always end up saying...

Post your BG list. Let's see if it overlaps with anyone else's or if it's something I'm willing to paint.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

Freelancer
Regular

#5 Post by Freelancer »

#image bg school = "" a parking lot outside Green River Community College
#image bg cheveron = "" A Convenience Store (That was Self Explanatory though)
#image bg outside = "" A Crossroads with train tracks and a parking lot on one side
#image bg home = "" In front of Alex's house
#image bg room = "" Alex's Room
#image bg kitchen = "" a standard kitchen
#image bg livingroom = "" Self Explanatory
#image bg bathroom = "" Also self Explanatory
#image bg classroom = "" Standard classroom
#image bg dream = "" a forest clearing like dream landscape.
[WIP] Alex's Problem

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Threw it into a text file. Expect them on an "as-I-feel-like-it" basis.

If you don't finish this game, I'm donating these to the community.

Freelancer
Regular

#7 Post by Freelancer »

JinzouTamashii wrote:Threw it into a text file. Expect them on an "as-I-feel-like-it" basis.

If you don't finish this game, I'm donating these to the community.
Thank you.

Now all I need is someone to do character sprites.
[WIP] Alex's Problem

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by JinzouTamashii »

How good are you at drawing yourself?

Freelancer
Regular

#9 Post by Freelancer »

JinzouTamashii wrote:How good are you at drawing yourself?
Bad. And this is aside from the fact that I only have MS paint on my computer and I don't have a scanner. (For anything I would draw)
[WIP] Alex's Problem

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by JinzouTamashii »

I see... well, I can't take on any more characters right now...

Maybe someone will volunteer?

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#11 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

What kind of art? My plate is full at the moment, but I can refer some people to you.

Edited to add: By which I mean, do you want it to be moe, refined shoujo, Scott McCloud esque, semi-realistic, jagged like the X Men, or what?
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Freelancer
Regular

#12 Post by Freelancer »

Tsundere Lightning wrote:What kind of art? My plate is full at the moment, but I can refer some people to you.

Edited to add: By which I mean, do you want it to be moe, refined shoujo, Scott McCloud esque, semi-realistic, jagged like the X Men, or what?
I have no Idea what Scott McCloud esque is...I think I just remembered, Well it doesn't matter anyway.

I was thinking either (In your words) moe, or Refined shoujo. Either are good for me. Just something not too terribly realistic. I don't consider it a heavy story.
[WIP] Alex's Problem

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by JinzouTamashii »

That is not self-explanatory.

Is this BG inside or outside the convenience store?

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#14 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Scott McCloud-esque.

Which is kind of the American equivalent of refined shoujo.

See what I can do, but I am very busy. And I can ask around.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Freelancer
Regular

#15 Post by Freelancer »

JinzouTamashii wrote:
That is not self-explanatory.

Is this BG inside or outside the convenience store?
My apologies. I did not consider that part. The BG is from inside the store.

And to Tsundere Lightning, Okay yeah that Scott-McCloud esque is definatley not what I'm going for, nor what I thought it was.
Thank you for your help.
[WIP] Alex's Problem