Strings of Fate (WIP) GxB. Feedback appreciated! :)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
digirin
Regular
Projects: Strings of Fate

Strings of Fate (WIP) GxB. Feedback appreciated! :)

#1 Post by digirin »

We'd appreciate any feedback you may have for this project.

Genre

Romance, Mystery

Synopsis

Mei once lived in a town called Okiyamina. When she was eleven she had to move to Tokyo, leaving behind many childhood friends, especially a very significant and special one that keeps appearing in her dreams. Since Mei got into a car accident she hasn't been able to remember her past. The only way she is able to remember slight fragments and details is through her dreams.

When Mei's father gets a job in the United States he makes arrangements for Mei to move back into their old apartment building, in Okiyamina. She is also told by her father that she'll be living with two of her childhood friends. Soon after moving in again she meets another boy, who seems so completely familiar to her but she can’t seem to figure out why. Even though they were all friends of Mei when she was younger, because of her memory loss she can't remember anything about them.

These were the people most important to her as a child, and thanks to fate they are all brought together once again. What could this mean for Mei?

Could one of them be the boy she always sees in her dreams?

And will she be able to unlock the mystery of her past and recover all of her lost memories?

Characters

Mei: is a very independent girl, with a strong sense of what she likes, wants, and what she doesn’t like and want. She’s stubborn, but not completely headstrong. Mei is a kind girl who tries to live a normal life even though she has amnesia and is missing the memories of her past. She is especially saddened by the fact that she can’t remember anything because it means that she cannot remember anything about the first close friend she ever made in Okiyamina, who was also her first love.

Hiro: Hiro is the happier and more carefree of Mei’s childhood friends. He may act irresponsible, childish and loud, but he is truly mature and intelligent, and though he doesn’t seem to do his work, somehow he gets really good grades. He is prone to outbursts when he is unable to come up with another way of expressing what is on his mind, and is rash and outspoken. Sometimes he speaks without really thinking it through and he loves to tease Mei. While Hiro seems to be the optimistic one, he is quite the opposite, and hides away the difficult sides of his life from others, especially Mei. He has the dream of becoming a star athlete, but it seems it is a dream he will never obtain.
Daichi: Daichi is the more reliable and responsible of Mei’s childhood friends. He acts as a guardian for Hiro and Mei, taking care of them, even though they are actually all the same age. Because of his personality and the fact that he believes he needs to take care of the others, he is the one who does the cooking and cleaning, expertly and with ease, which makes one wonder how he learned to do it all. Though he is very helpful and kind, he is also very shy at times, and always puts everyone else’s feelings before his own. His wish is to be a student at a very prestigious university, but it appears to be a dream that he will never fulfil no matter how hard he tries on his own.
Yuichi: Yuichi is the most popular guy at Hiro and Daichi’s high school. His reputation of being a player and a heartbreaker precedes him, but his charms and gentleness seem to cancel it all out. He’s a hard person to understand, because there seems to be more to him than the superficial façade he puts on, but he never seems to let anyone see his real self. He’s flirty, and when he meets Mei she is instantly his new favourite girl whom he showers with attention and affection. While he doesn’t get along with Hiro and Daichi, he’s almost always seen with a group of girls or boys, ever the composed and loved social butterfly. His father is business partners with Mei’s, and they first met when they were very young.
Shizuka: Shizuka, Hiro, and Daichi are all good friends. She is the captain of the track team that all three of them are part of, and she is hard-working and determined. She is kind and always helping out at school, gaining the respect of the teachers as being a very responsible girl. While she seems to instantly like and become friends with Mei, this is not the case. She can be slightly bossy at times, as well as over-protective Daichi and Hiro especially, but it is because of her strong feelings for them that she acts that way.

Screenshots

Progess so far

The game contains 471 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 7,564 words,
for an average of 16.1 words per screen.
The game contains 11 menus.

Sprites: 10% or less
CGs: 1%

What to expect

- 4 obtainable guys
- Alot of CG scenes
- Playing Mei you can either find out who's the boy in your dreams or find a new love.
- A Heart Meter - to find out how the boys feel about you.

Who's working on this

Sprite/Line Artist/ Co-writer: digirin
Programmer: YuukiCrossPudding
Writer: night_serenade
Colorists: Kimiko
Background Artist: qq

Recruiting:

Please message me if you're interested in helping us out =).

1. BG Artist: we need alot of backgrounds so having another help with them would be alot of help.
2. CG Artist: one that can help out with smaller graphics like menu buttons and chibis.
3 Proofreaders and people willing to critique (mostly referring to the demo, before it is released): looking for 2 more.
Last edited by digirin on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Kael
Regular
Projects: Roaming, Red Snow??? Some others as composer.

Re: Strings of Fate (WIP) GxB

#2 Post by Kael »

Really nice :3, I wanna play it. Remember me if I'm delaying too much with the tracks xD.

digirin
Regular

#3 Post by digirin »

Kael wrote:Really nice :3, I wanna play it. Remember me if I'm delaying too much with the tracks xD.
thanks :D. no its fine still XD I'm taking forever with the art anyways, so take your time. pssht i wanna play that game you're making ._.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#4 Post by Aleema »

Is it weird that the first thing I thought was "I like their haircuts"? xD
Cool main menu!!

Weird hybrid of cliches you have going on that I think, but when all mixed together, could make them really unique. Is it going to be, like ... the boy from her dreams depends on whose path you follow? Or will it be like Re:Alistair where you could go along the path of another dude, but be just as satisfied? I hope they have very distinct personalities from each other in the game.

digirin
Regular

#5 Post by digirin »

Aleema wrote:Is it weird that the first thing I thought was "I like their haircuts"? xD
Cool main menu!!

Weird hybrid of cliches you have going on that I think, but when all mixed together, could make them really unique. Is it going to be, like ... the boy from her dreams depends on whose path you follow? Or will it be like Re:Alistair where you could go along the path of another dude, but be just as satisfied? I hope they have very distinct personalities from each other in the game.
LOL their hair was based on the different haircuts my boyfriend had. This hairs perfect for anime characters XD. Thanks!

I read way too much shoujo manga so I guess I just brought all those ideas together. Oh no, there's one boy. Each path is going to unique though, like the ideas I have doesn't make one path better than the other XD. So probably yes, similar to Re:Alistair.

Miss-Mae
Regular
Projects: Waiting on Love
Organization: Kinki Skiddles Productions

#6 Post by Miss-Mae »

Sounds fun to me! I like your title screen, it's super cute. :D Can't wait to see more artses. <3
Come visit me, if you like, at: http://www.miss-mae.deviantart.com / http://www.kinki-skiddles-games.deviantart.com <3 or on my NEW game making blog, which you can find here: http://kinki-skiddles.tumblr.com/ <3

digirin
Regular

#7 Post by digirin »

Miss-Mae wrote:Sounds fun to me! I like your title screen, it's super cute. :D Can't wait to see more artses. <3

I'll probably reveal another sprite tonight. We're not sure if we should make him obtainable or not though.

digirin
Regular

#8 Post by digirin »

UPDATE

-There are now 4 obtainable guys. The 3rd obtainable guy will be revealed later this week, the 4th one is a secret character.
-The gameplay will take place in a span of a 3 seasons or a year. Atleast 3 seasons though.
-There will be more than 9 endings - including good and bad ones

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#9 Post by Aleema »

^^ Uh oh. Don't blow up your project!!

digirin
Regular

#10 Post by digirin »

Aleema wrote:^^ Uh oh. Don't blow up your project!!
XD know its alot for my first project but i'm not going to give up until I finish it.

digirin
Regular

#11 Post by digirin »

UPDATE:

NEW CHARACTER

Yuichi. He's another obtainable guy. A little description about him will be up soon.
Attachments
yuichisprite.png

Miss-Mae
Regular
Projects: Waiting on Love
Organization: Kinki Skiddles Productions

#12 Post by Miss-Mae »

Oooh, cute! Love the piercings. ;)
Come visit me, if you like, at: http://www.miss-mae.deviantart.com / http://www.kinki-skiddles-games.deviantart.com <3 or on my NEW game making blog, which you can find here: http://kinki-skiddles.tumblr.com/ <3

night_serenade
Regular
Projects: Strings of Fate, Turnip in Love, other secret projects XD

#13 Post by night_serenade »

Hello everyone! XD

Alice here, with sort-of updates.

Digirin and I have been seriously thinking out the plot and paths in our VN, and after talking it out we've changed a lot of things in the story. Not things any of you guys were aware of though ;D haha

We've added a lot to the story and characters, creating more depth in the process, and are quite satisfied with how things are going now!
While it has become a bigger project than we first anticipated, I don't believe we're in over our heads, and I think we're both much more satisfied with how the VN is now than how it was before.

Thanks for all the support! <3

UPDATE~
New (and edited) character profiles and the synopsis are up everyone!! :)
.:.Alice here~!

Writer, Proof Reader/Editor, Programmer, and Artist ;; always willing to help in whatever way I can, so don't be afraid to send me a message! =]

Here are the public projects I’m currently involved in (you should check them out =D)!!
Strings of Fate | Turnip in Love | Soul & Heart

My Deviant Art~ [I just recently created a new account, and am learning how to colour digitally, so right now there's only a limited and poor show of art XD]

digirin
Regular

#14 Post by digirin »

@miss-mae: thanks :) its the bad boy so i had to make that obvious somehow XD

@night_serenade: thankkuu for putting up the update thing :D! (hope the outline i gave you helped for the demo).

digirin
Regular

Re: Strings of Fate (WIP) GxB. updated recruiting section!

#15 Post by digirin »

Another update:

mei's new sprite. i'm hoping to finish shizuka's sprite tomorrow.
Attachments
meisprite.png