Lemma Soft Forums

Supporting creators of visual novels and story-based games since 2003.

Visit our new games list, blog aggregator, IRC, and wiki.
Activation problem? Email pytom@bishoujo.us.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Ren'Py support questions should go here. This forum is for discussing changes to Ren'Py itself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Ren'Py Roadmap
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:54 pm 
More Pandora spammage, sorry:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/ ... asp?c=8667

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:43 pm 
Ren'Py Creator

Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
It doesn't appear that Pandora has been released yet. I'd also have to see some signs of popularity to port to it, although I think the port would be one of the easier ones.

(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face in marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:33 pm 
Regular

Projects: Revenant
I actually have a Pandora ordered so in case this happens I could probably do some testing, as it would be a pretty nice combination. I doubt there's much to really port though, considering it should run Python and SDL/PyGame out of the box.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:07 pm 
Regular

Projects: "Project Shi" (working title); "Project JanFeb" (working title:LSFCCVNG entry)
this is kinda necroposting (ok, it is out right necroposting come to think of it) but to quote the wikipedia article on pandora: "The Pandora system by default will come with an open source, Linux OS based on Ångström"
there already is Ren'Py available for Linux, so Pandora should be able to play the Linux version of any game made with ren'py.

"Project Shi" (working title)
"Project JanFeb" due completion date: 28th Feb, 2010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:24 pm 
Ren'Py Creator

Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Well, Pandora uses the ARM processor, so someone would need to cross-compile for it. I've cross-compiled Ren'Py before, so that's doable.

That being said, we're only talking about a run of 4,000 units here, which isn't really that huge of an audience. (It's what the DS sells in a couple of hours.) Although I realize you're talking about a smaller form-factor here, there's also the issue that you can get a far more capable netbook for the same price.

It would need to really take off for me to spend time on it. If someone else wants to do it, I can try to support them.

(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face in marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 pm 
Miko-Class Veteran

PyTom wrote:
Although I realize you're talking about a smaller form-factor here, there's also the issue that you can get a far more capable netbook for the same price.

For that matter, even resolution isn't that big an issue anymore. My Gigabyte T1028 is a nice 10.1 inch convertible netbook (screen twists and folds over to become a tablet) and has a 1366x768 screen resolution that handles RenPy at 1024x768 quite nicely. On Win 7 even with WiFi going I can usually get 4+ hours with it. So really I would see something like that as a better portable development environment.

IMNSHO of course.

If I end up getting one of the jobs I'm interviewing for this week, I may even have time in the evenings to actually start programming again :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11