Ren'Py Roadmap

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
killdream
Veteran
Projects: EVūL (WIP), insilo (WIP), Cute Demon Crashers!
Deviantart: robotlolita
Github: robotlolita

Re: Ren'Py Roadmap

#136 Post by killdream »

I'm using javascript with ajax. And CSS for style-ing things.

Well, I'm a bit busy now too, since my doujinshi group is planning to release a demo of our first VN in May (and a lot of other things too, but I think I can find a bit of time to work in this anyways), but if you really plan on developing something, I can help with the client-side part. * I need a bit of motivation to finish some of my projects anyways =D *

About OpenLaszlo... it compiles to Flash/DHTML anyways =D and you must have a host that supports java for server-side things. I would go with DHTML (the bad thing being browsers doesn't have much support to fancy effects) and PHP.

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#137 Post by EwanG »

If you're going down that road, you may want to look into Haxe (haxe.org) - which can generate Javascript, SWF files, or compilable C++ programs.
Working on something... might even be something good :D

Preludian
Regular

#138 Post by Preludian »

What I will be doing as soon as I have time, is to try Unity.
What is nice about this one, besides many other nice features, is that you deploy to Win and Mac standalone and also as webapplication with a really nice full-screen. Mac-Users can even deploy to Iphone.

I don't know yet how the typical font tags can be handles as style, color, etc.

Only problem is, that the player , although nice and small, actually has to be installed. But having one version for win& mac standalone AND a webapp with only one click is really cool. I have some ideas, will see...

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#139 Post by jack_norton »

If pytom does a silverlight port as he said, even renpy will be able to export to pc+mac and web (and linux too) ;)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

killdream
Veteran

#140 Post by killdream »

I've tried silverlight, but its seems the same Microsoft-beta-thingy-relased-as-final. Well, at least, it doesn't work properly unless if used in IE (I've one since I work with web development, but I'd avoid using it as hell). Companies are switching back from Silverlight to Flash, since it works well in Mac, Win and Linux.

http://www.devtopics.com/silverlight-lo ... -customer/
http://valleywag.gawker.com/5045822/nbc ... r-olympics

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#141 Post by jack_norton »

Well of course, Flash is around since 7 years (or more?) and silverlight is quite new. I don't think MS will abandon it. Anyway, I really hope an alternative to that horrible actionscript language will come out (if is not silverlight).
computer games

killdream
Veteran

#142 Post by killdream »

I guess JavaScript will be more and more used to create RIA (Rich Internet Applications) now. All the more because Google is going that way =D. It already has the Canvas2d thing (of course, not supported by cof, cof... M$ IE) that lets you draw things on screen in real time, just like a... well, canvas =D.

A good example of it is a clone of the old doom:
http://www.javascriptgaming.com/2009/02/canvex.html

Also, google is developping a good 3d api for browsers, that uses javascript, as well. It stills on beta stages, but seems good nonetheles:
http://code.google.com/apis/o3d/

Browsers are going to implement (IE aside, I guess) 3d rendering with GPU access as well, in a Canvas3d tag, I guess (not sure if I read this on HTML5 defs, though, but it maybe've been).

Anyways, aside of it, there's lot of other programs for developing RIA (wich, of course, includes games). There's Adobe's Adobe AIR, Sun's JavaFX, Google's GWT (that lets you program in plain java and exports to javascript+ajax) and the beta 'port' of GWT to python, Pyjamas, that does the same thing (well, I downloaded it but didn't tried yet xDDD). I'd go with Java, though. I don't like Flash.

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#143 Post by delta »

For the purposes of this forum, anything apart from Flash is braindead. If you force your users to change browser or install a plugin that may or may not work on IE, you've already given up all the benefits of making it web-based in the first place.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#144 Post by jack_norton »

Hmm I tried silverlight on firefox and seems to work fine. Of course depends also on the program itself: so maybe crashes/bug might be fault of the program running under it, rather than the technology itself.
BTW stats for one of my sites for 2009, about browsers (numbers are page hits):

Code: Select all

MS Internet Explorer	1742056	44.5 %
Firefox   1314997	33.6 %
Safari	   574696	14.7 %
IE is still quite important, as delta said.
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#145 Post by PyTom »

The decision to make a silverlight port is based on two things:

1) A general anticipation that Silverlight and Moonlight will become more widely installed over the next few years.

2) The technical ease of such a port. Modern versions of Silverlight support the DLR, and hence Python. This means that the port might take a few weekends, and be something I can release for free, rather than the months that a Flash port would take.

That being said, I'm still waiting for a reasonable version of Silverlight/Moonlight for Linux. So I'm probably not going to do much until that comes out.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

killdream
Veteran

#146 Post by killdream »

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Most persons still using IE because it comes with windows and they don't bother changing because it 'works just fine' (altough webmasters should have all the hard work to build almost 2 sites since most features that should be standard behaves in a unexpected way in IE .-.).

But, well, will Microsoft make a reasonable version of silverlight to run in linux and other browsers? (there was a guy that was going to do a presentation about Silverlight here, but after he wrote alot of code, nothing worked. He said there was a long way yet to Silverlight become reasonable -- there was also peoples that had to format their HDs for installing Silverlight alongside with other softwares .-.)

I really hope Microsoft will change and make a reasonable version of Silverlight that is cross-platform/cross-browser. There's no point in using it otherwise.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#147 Post by DaFool »

killdream wrote:I guess JavaScript will be more and more used to create RIA (Rich Internet Applications) now. All the more because Google is going that way =D. It already has the Canvas2d thing (of course, not supported by cof, cof... M$ IE) that lets you draw things on screen in real time, just like a... well, canvas =D.

A good example of it is a clone of the old doom:
http://www.javascriptgaming.com/2009/02/canvex.html

Also, google is developping a good 3d api for browsers, that uses javascript, as well. It stills on beta stages, but seems good nonetheles:
http://code.google.com/apis/o3d/

Browsers are going to implement (IE aside, I guess) 3d rendering with GPU access as well, in a Canvas3d tag, I guess (not sure if I read this on HTML5 defs, though, but it maybe've been).

Anyways, aside of it, there's lot of other programs for developing RIA (wich, of course, includes games). There's Adobe's Adobe AIR, Sun's JavaFX, Google's GWT (that lets you program in plain java and exports to javascript+ajax) and the beta 'port' of GWT to python, Pyjamas, that does the same thing (well, I downloaded it but didn't tried yet xDDD). I'd go with Java, though. I don't like Flash.
I would still really like a Ren'Py module that works with JavaScript. Not for any browser-based game, but there are a few engines out there which use the language, and having a simple Ren'Py interpreter for the text dialogue parts would make creating cutscenes much easier.

Jake
Support Hero

#148 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote: I would still really like a Ren'Py module that works with JavaScript. Not for any browser-based game, but there are a few engines out there which use the language, and having a simple Ren'Py interpreter for the text dialogue parts would make creating cutscenes much easier.
"Works with JavaScript"? What do you mean? If you mean "Actually written in JavaScript" I suspect your answer is that it's less likely than a Flash port - at least Flash is strictly versioned and the plugin works the same in all places, while JavaScript is supported variably in different places...
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

killdream
Veteran

#149 Post by killdream »

DaFool wrote:I would still really like a Ren'Py module that works with JavaScript. Not for any browser-based game, but there are a few engines out there which use the language, and having a simple Ren'Py interpreter for the text dialogue parts would make creating cutscenes much easier.
If you want a interpreter for any engine, you just need to write a parser for it. You can take a look at the Ren'Py parser and port it to whichever language you want, but I'd say it's not that useful since you would have to code the functions to behave like Ren'Py. In the end, you'd end up coding an entire VN engine.

#150 Post by Guest »

Hello, it would be nice if Ren'Py would support this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

or basically any potentially successful made-for-homebrew portable gaming device. Forget about NDS and PSP, closed platforms are very against open source.

It says that that this could emulate up to Playstation 1 performance, which means even basic 3D games can be made. And hooray for Texas Instruments processor, I thought the company faded away (recalls fond memories of TI-82 graphing calculator and the Streetfighter / Scorched Earth clones on it.)