Writers needed for Rising Angels (otome/yuri)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

Writers needed for Rising Angels (otome/yuri)

#1 Post by KomiTsuku »

Heya, folks, Chief Komi here with a request. As many of you might know, I am a highly ambitious, possibly insane game maker. Well, those two factors have lead me to a very interesting situation where I have now found myself unable to focus on all of the projects on my plate. Rising Angels was one that had an overwhelmingly large amount of work dumped into it, but never quite managed to overtake the other projects for my attention. So, I now come before you all and ask, as a humble man, for some assistance.

What I would like to do is something similar to Katawa Shoujo and have multiple writers work on the varying paths. All of the sprites are done, all of the backgrounds are done, and all of the music is done. I will still need help setting up the interface, but that is something that I wish to wait on until we get closer to release. Everything is ready to go, even a couple CG artists are standing by, but we just need writers to get the ball rolling.

There are currently 8 potential romancible characters, a mix of both male and female. The number of actual paths (and who can be pursued) in the game will be determined by the number volunteers and who they choose.

Any writer who wants to apply for the project needs to send me a sample of their writing, any other visual novel they have worked on, and their primary/secondary choices for which character they would like to write for. I plan on limiting each writer to one path. Each path should consist of 8-10 scenes for roughly 30k-40k words total. The game is currently a dating sim, so these scenes would occur after you have done the grinding, spent enough time with, yada yada yada... I would be willing to drop the sim part of the game and make it a straight VN, but that will be a decision made after all volunteers are gathered.

Existing RA thread

Plot: Rising Angels is the story of Faye Moonfallow, her squad of somewhat loveable misfits, and their dreams of becoming officers in the Katajion Defense Force. However, before they can get there, they have to first pass the rigorous Space Sector Academy. Life is rough, non-stop, and the danger of getting the boot is ever-present. Can Faye and her squad overcome the challenges posed to them? Will the group destroy itself in chaos? The story is meant to be a light and cheerful college romance story, but the writers will be given creative rights to plot out their own story. Basically, as long as you keep it to something similar to your average slice-of-life story, I'll be fine.

Setting: While it is a military academy, the cadets and their environment is much similar to a college campus. The campus has everything that would be on a traditional campus and a small town lies just outside its walls. Warm and sunny all year long with only an occasional storm.

Timeline: Everything takes place over an academic year, with the cadets graduating and become military officers, assuming they don't fail/quit/die/run away.

Edit: Style: First person, past tense
Edit2: We will not require writers to submit outlines for their characters right off the bat. Since we will be working together to develop the premise, it is kind of a waste of time right now.
Edit3: Removed the instructors from the line up.
Edit4: Alright, we are down to just Mana and two of the new characters, the demon male and minotaur female. I'm still working on bios for them. Expect to see those updated soon.

Drop any questions, comments, concerns or the like here. I look forward to working with anyone interested. While I am focusing on writers right now, anyone who wants to contribute in any way will be welcomed.
RA cast.jpg
(left to right)
Name: Faye Moonfallow (main character)
Species: Lupide
Homeworld: Raputin 33D
Bio: The only daughter of a xenobotanist, Faye spent most of her life on the move with her father during his studies. Faye had few friends her age, spending her time with her father’s colleagues and going to school over the KataNet. This made the intelligent, analytical girl even more quiet and reserved, but unafraid to say her mind when the situation calls for it. While she wanted to continue traversing the universe with her beloved father, a military recruiter convinced her that joining the Space Sector as a xenobotanist with the fleet was a great way she could both earn a living and make a name for herself.

Name: Lenna Edeck
Species: Human
Homeworld: Earth
Bio: A young woman from Chicago, Lenna lost her family early in her life to the war between the Raltin Empire and the Katajion Directorship. With no other family other than her close friends, Lenna was forced to scrape up a living on the streets. While something of a ditz, her determination and desire to survive drove her on, keeping her alive throughout the occupation of Earth and resulting destruction of Chicago. After coming of age and cramming knowledge for the academy entrance exam every free moment she could, Lenna was finally accepted to the Space Academy as a pilot. While fearful that she will fail with her low grades and a tad paranoid of her comrades, she refuses to accept failure and keeps pressing herself to become the best and pass. She prides herself on being up-to-date on the current fashions.

Name: Yoi Mono
Species: Half-elf
Homeworld: Troplain
Bio: The daughter of a Katajion Director and granddaughter of the Trilani Rangers’ patriarch, many thought that she would have a life of ease. However, her father was assassinated in office while she was only three. She was then sent to live with her mother as an elven ranger trainee. Many in the community resented Minako Mono’s husband, leading to her exile from the world of Troplain. The council also wished to banish the young Yoi, but the Patriarch refused, saying she had commit no offense and would permit the girl to continue training as a ranger and the eventual heiress of the Trilani Rangers.
Yoi grew up with very few friends, suffering the scorn of being a half-elf in a pure blood society. Nonetheless, she tried her best to make friends, often coming off as hyperactive and talkative to conceal her loneliness. In an effort to help his granddaughter out and get her away from the racism, a deal was brokered between the Katajion Directorship to permit Yoi to attend the Space Academy, making her the first Trilani ranger to also attempt to be a combat pilot. Much to her dismay, there’s nothing the poor elf hates more than space travel.

Name: Sol Hackett
Species: Human
Homeworld: Ergo
Bio: Unlike most of his colleagues, Sol had never lost a family member to the war. In fact, his life was unaffected on the whole by the entire galactic conflict. His father was a transport pilot and his mother was a stayhome mom. The young man grew up with a strong belief in obeying the rules and leading a calm, orderly life. Never growing up around “non-humans” has bred a streak of hatred and disdain for them.

*Major Brumford removed*

Name: Jade Lauper
Species: Frikon
Bio: A rebel without a cause and a police record to follow. After a series of crimes that ended with a hijacking of a fighter and leading authorities on a two hour chase, Jade was sent to prison for forty years. However, a deal was brokered between the Space Sector and Judicial Sector to pardon the crime should he serve twenty years as a fighter pilot under their watch. Jade agreed. The young frikon was willing to serve with the force, but always was trying to toe the line to see just how much he could get away with in his pursuit of fast rides and easy lives. Some call him a punk, he calls himself misunderstood.

Name: Mana Lauper
Species: Frikon
Bio: Unlike the older brother who she adores, Mana isn’t a felon, simply a frequent delinquent. Mana is mischievous and loves playing pranks on everyone, so long as nobody gets hurt. She often joined up with her brother on some of his high speed hijinks, frequently putting him to shame with her superior flying skills. While she’d never admit it, she is the better pilot and mechanic of the pair, while he is the brains behind the operations. When he was offered the deal with the Space Sector, he demanded that one of the stipulations be that Mana got to come with, knowing full well that she’d follow him anyway. Something of a yandere when it comes to her older brother.

Name: Iotor Quin
Species: Lupide
Homeworld: Qrin
Bio: Self-confident, cocky, and the only prior Katajion Defense Force member, Iotor was selected to become a pilot after he transferred over from his previous job as a Space Assault Controller, the Space Sector special forces. While somewhat rowdy and unorthodox, when it comes to his job Iotor is nothing but dedicated and disciplined. Unlike his younger fellows, Iotor was married, now divorced, and has a two year old young son, Lio, who he almost never sees due to the constant danger and deploying. This is the only chance he saw of being able to both provide a good life for his son, serve his nation, and still be alive to see Lio’s third birthday.

*F.O. Gayl removed*
Last edited by KomiTsuku on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

Re: Writers needed for Rising Angels (otome/yuri)

#2 Post by Crocosquirrel »

PM me a general outline if you would please.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope

#3 Post by KomiTsuku »

DarkSpartan wrote:PM me a general outline if you would please.
I have a general outline of the original version, but I honestly plan to toss it out the window. When I decided to farm this idea out to the general public, I wanted to ask the writers on what they would like to see, what they would like to write. Even the character descriptions right now are open to modification and development from the crew. While I will still be giving general overwatch and guidence (not to mention CG commissioning support), I intend on being one of the writers, the character I will write not being yet announced. One thing I wanted to try with this project is a completely open forum to contribute and craft the story. The individual stories are going to work semi-independent of the overall plot, focusing more on the characters' interactions, backstories, shenanigans, ect. The “dating sim” part is even up for debate, if enough of the writers want to do traditional vn style.

I guess what is driving me is that there hasn't been any big or even semi-big otome or yuri collaboration project. Or kemonomimi. If it ends up just being me and my single pursuable character... not what I was going for, but I'll release either way. Right now I do have one volunteer for Lenna, but everything else is wide open.

Also, in related news, I am going to be adding a couple more characters to the cast to round out the cadet numbers to 12. There will be a cat girl (whose story I am writing), a demon male and female, and a minotaur female. The sprites are still in the works, so they will not be able to be picked at this time.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by KomiTsuku »

Status update! So far we have a writer for Lenna, Kika (the catgirl not finished yet), and one of the two new characters. If we don't get any otome writers, this could very well end up being a pure yuri game. XD *jingles his beggar's tin* I don't have a deadline when I will be closing volunteers yet, but as our meager ranks fill, we will begin on the overarching plot design. If you want a full voice in it from the beginning, volunteer now!

Also dropped the whole send an outline thing. Since we are going to setup the overarching plot as a group, there isn't much point with that right now.

Edit: Alrighty, Io has a writer, Yoi is free once more. Guess this won't be pure yuri! :lol:

Bto3
Regular
Completed: Naomi, VC: Simple Answers, Out of Sync
Projects: Vibrant Color, Out of Sync
Organization: Paper Star Studios
IRC Nick: B3_/Bto3
Tumblr: paperstarstudios
itch: Bto3

#5 Post by Bto3 »

The art's so pretty! If I wasn't already working on something I would love to take Mana. She's cute!
Good luck finding writers!

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by KomiTsuku »

Bto3 wrote:The art's so pretty! If I wasn't already working on something I would love to take Mana. She's cute!
Good luck finding writers!
Ah, that's okay. ^_^ If you do find some time, I suspect that Mana will still need a home for quite some time.

Bto3
Regular
Completed: Naomi, VC: Simple Answers, Out of Sync
Projects: Vibrant Color, Out of Sync
Organization: Paper Star Studios
IRC Nick: B3_/Bto3
Tumblr: paperstarstudios
itch: Bto3

#7 Post by Bto3 »

I'll definitely keep that in mind! *bookmarks thread*