Writer and editor at your service! (Temporarily unavailable)

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Writer, editor, and aspiring voice talent at your servic

#16 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I've honestly never written boys' love before, but that shouldn't be a problem. I don't know how much I can do for you right now, though---I've been recruited to help with two projects and possibly one more.

You've reminded me that I still need to post some recordings. My apologies, everyone. I've been rather busy lately, so I haven't had the chance to record yet!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#17 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I've added the first of what will, hopefully, be several demo recordings to the first post! Check it out if you're interested! I'm going to try to get another one up sometime this week if my schedule permits it.

Thank you very much! :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

erikB
Projects: a Visual novel

#18 Post by erikB »

After hearing your voice on appbox, I don't hear much difference.
just your own voice with your accent, from which you started with.
No different voices / other voices / other accents after the introduction.

try switching accents / learning other accents.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I explicitly stated that I was reading one monologue, so I don't know why you're expecting a demo reel of multiple voices. If I had experience with more than maybe one or two accents, I would provide such a recording. I'm okay with imitating other voices, but I'm not really confident in my ability to reproduce them on command yet. Also, I'm shy as hell. Sorry for disappointing you.
— Mark Twain

erikB
Projects: a Visual novel

#20 Post by erikB »

Mad Harlequin wrote:I explicitly stated that I was reading one monologue, so I don't know why you're expecting a demo reel of multiple voices. If I had experience with more than maybe one or two accents, I would provide such a recording. I'm okay with imitating other voices, but I'm not really confident in my ability to reproduce them on command yet. Also, I'm shy as hell. Sorry for disappointing you.
I know you stated that you were reading one monologue, but you could have given your voice more chance.
You have one monologue to "sell" yourself in a way that people want to hire you as voice actor.

Shyness has( in my opinion) no place in the voice acting business, keep practising, practising, everyday! again and again till it becomes a part of your life.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Give me a break, please! I'm planning on uploading more material soon. I know I don't have a fancy demo reel to show off, but the last time I actively sought amateur roles, I got declined or the projects turned into nothing. I can't upload those lines! They're extremely old and were recorded on outdated equipment.

And yes, I know that being shy won't do me any favors. It's been a while since I pursued this interest actively and I'm aware that I need to practice.

Thank you for your advice.
— Mark Twain

Ellesmera

#22 Post by Ellesmera »

erikB wrote:After hearing your voice on appbox, I don't hear much difference.
just your own voice with your accent, from which you started with.
No different voices / other voices / other accents after the introduction.

try switching accents / learning other accents.
To be fair, in the voice acting business the main jobs are commercials and voice overs, not character jobs. In these the most important thing is to sound clear and approachable, accents would not be appropriate. Also if you need a foreign accent in a story it would probably only be for one person. I believe that it would be better to show the characters personality and emotions through your voice well, rather than having a perfect accent.

Personally, I felt that you did a great job of conveying emotional depth with clarity. Other emotions/ peoples voices would have been nice, yes, but from what I heard it was good, once you filtered out the slight crackle of the microphone. As a one time drama student I know how hard it is to go through an entirely sad piece without sounding monotone. You avoided this and did very well. I would be interested to see how you would perform a happier piece!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Thank you for your feedback! I'm in the process of looking for more free copy to read (meaning I can use it as I wish as long as I cite the source and do not receive money for it), but I will update the thread as I find decent pieces. :)

If "character" voices are what people seek, I will happily record my attempts at them as soon as I can---some will be better than others, certainly, but I'll do my best and continue to practice!
— Mark Twain

sonorousgem
Regular

#24 Post by sonorousgem »

Hi! I listened to your monologue and I think your voice is different (in a good way) from a lot of others I've listened to around here. I hope you're able to make a demo reel soon~

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Thank you! I'm planning on putting together something that more closely resembles a demo reel as soon as possible. I'll add it to the original post when it's done!
— Mark Twain

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Update (July 27):

I'm not dead! :o

Later today, when it's not 2:30 in the morning, I'll be posting an improved version (in terms of audio quality) of the monologue from Like Dreaming, Backwards. I've done a little research and I think I have a better grasp of how to mix my recordings. I still need to save up for a decent microphone, but I suppose this is progress!

The new version is now available on the first page via the same link. It still sounds a little hollow, but that's because I can't undo the noise removal I did before. (I've now learned that using that command generally doesn't help.)

I haven't forgotten about putting together a demo reel, either. It is a pain in the butt to find quality free-to-use copy that isn't Shakespeare. While I love the Bard and will probably have a sample of myself speaking in an English accent (albeit a rusty one), I'm trying to find copy that will demonstrate the strengths of my natural voice as much as possible. At this rate I'll have to write my own character copy . . . but I'm not really sure if that'll be much help.

Edit: Never mind what I said about copy being difficult to find. Apparently I've been going about searching all wrong for the past few months. I'm so stupid. This is what I get for bashing my head against a problem instead of actually thinking about it.
— Mark Twain

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Mad Harlequin »

August 31 update:

I expect to be fairly busy with the Queen at Arms team for the foreseeable future, but another employment opportunity (related to writing/editing) has just fallen through for me. As a result, I now have the chance to consider collaborating on other projects once Queen at Arms is finished.

I'm also beginning work on a visual novel of my own. I don't expect to release any details for a while beyond the fact that it's inspired by a particular play of William Shakespeare's, but this will be a non-commercial release and I'll be chipping away at it slowly. I'm not in a rush.
— Mark Twain

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Mad Harlequin »

This is the requisite post asking for my thread to be moved to the writers' and editors' section of the recruitment forum. As per the rules, I'll create a new thread for my voice-related pursuits in the appropriate area. :)
— Mark Twain

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Writer and editor at your service!

#29 Post by Mad Harlequin »

This is an update. Please see the first post for details.
— Mark Twain

Fluxx
Regular
Projects: Magnificent//Omniversal Love, Nature's Kingdom
Organization: Natural Freedom
IRC Nick: Fluxx
Tumblr: superfunspacejam

Re: Writer and editor at your service!

#30 Post by Fluxx »

ah man, you sure you can't take anymore projects? I think the one i'm working on may interest you.
CURRENT PROJECTS (Ongoing)
Nature's Kingdom - A Girl Wishes for Utopia -
Web Novel that takes place in the same universe as Magnificent//Omniversal Love.