Looking for a Team (All Welcome)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
TheSopht

Looking for a Team (All Welcome)

#1 Post by TheSopht »

I'm looking for people to make a visual novel. The goal is to have fun without worrying about deadlines or schedule conflicts. All contributors must be willing to work for free and know that the completed game will be distributed as free-to-play. That said, I will turn no one away that wants to help in some way, from contributing ideas/criticisms to artists/programmers. You retain all credit to your work, though the finished product will have a life of its own.

I can write and make some instrumentals, and I'm willing to collaborate with other writers and composers, if anyone is interested. Personally, I like to write philosophical pieces, but I don't discriminate against any genres.

If anyone is interested, don't be shy, and let me know.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

Re: Looking for a Team (All Welcome)

#2 Post by Fenrir34 »

I read your thing and see you're new on here. Welcome :) . But I want to give you some advice about recruiting. First, you might want to get to know the community more. People on here like others who are active. Also, if you have a project you have to post details about it.

Secondly, I highly suggest you learn how to code. That is a skill, at least in my opinion, that every writer must know because artists do a lot of work when making sprites, cg's, backgrounds etc. If you don't know much about coding then go here. http://www.otome-games.com/index.php/ma ... otome-game This tutorial helped me get coding in just a few hours

Thirdly, may wanna think about starting out slow and make a small game before getting a team together. It's good to have practice when you have a team. If you're lacking material you can find backgrounds here http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52&t=17302
or search the net. Also, Tokudaya has some free ranged sprites you could use but I'll warn you that they've been used a lot on here since anyone can use them. (But they are very good for first time games)
Here's there link
http://tokudaya.net/

And finally, you must make sure to look at the rules when recruiting.

Here they are. They were made by Taleweaver
As we would like our recruitment forum to become a more useful tool for both recruiters and people offering services, and in order to make recruitment threads clearer, we have decided upon the following guidelines for all postings in this forum that aim at recruiting people. Note that these rules do not apply to offering services.

All threads in which someone is looking for people to join a team, from now on, are required to contain all of the following four pieces of information:

• 1) An overview of the project, or a link to an overview. Recruitment threads that are not created for a specific project but generally for a company or organization of sorts ("headhunting threads") will no longer be allowed in this forum.

• 2) A description of what sort of work needs to be done, for example "Need a character artist" or "Need a script writer". For commissions, we strongly suggest giving an estimate of how much of that work will be necessary. (Examples: "Four character sprites in 4-5 poses each" or "A dialogue script of approximately 60,000 words")

• 3) A description of what work has been completed on the project, if any.

• 4) A note as to if this is a commission or collaboration.

Recruitment threads may contain any other project details the poster is willing to share as long as these four pieces of information are included.

Also, effective today, there will be a new general rule of conduct for the entire LSF, which is thus relevant for the Recruitment section. This rule is:

14.) Public Discussion.
The Lemma Soft Forums are meant for public discussion. Threads that direct replies to PMs or Email may be deleted.

TheSopht

#3 Post by TheSopht »

Thanks Fenrir for your response and helpful suggestions. Also, nice to meet you.

I was hoping to get a more organic process, where everyone could contribute ideas, but I'm open to introducing some of the ideas I had. For instance, I have drawn up a basic idea for a world where (some) plants and insets have evolved to a degree that dominates human beings. Carnivorous plants of varying designs and strengths, large mosquitoes (and etc) that can penetrate skin and bone, along with fairies/nymph-like creatures that can control these plants to a degree. The war between plant and man mainly arises from man's use of technology (and/or magic) without regard for the environment around it. The story will begin with the protagonist losing his home, a small town that gets ravaged (there will be a moment of peace before this happens just to introduce the world a little), and after surviving an attack of plants, he tries to make his way to a nearby city for help. The antagonist will be a man trying to capture the nymphs and fairies to manipulate the plants for his benefits, ironically, this will be the same man that aids the protagonist in the beginning. The theme will basically be the protagonist's anger against nature that is calmed as he goes through various stages of enlightenment, whereas the antagonist continually tries to manipulate the protagonist's anger and hatred for his own benefits and goals.

There are obviously a lot other things involved, and I'm open to collaboration. As this is a long-term project, whoever wants to have some fun and make this with me at their own pace, let me know.

I have tons of ideas, and I might take Fenrir's suggestion and start a mini-project of my own, but I also wanted to work with people, so if anyone is interested, just let me know (you don't have to be a script-writer, programmer, artist, or whatnot, if you want to revise or just give your thoughts, that's fine too).

Also, I will definitely look into the coding, though I disagree that artists do more work than writers (just based on personally having written ~80,000 word novel), but perhaps visual novels are different, we shall see.

In any case, I'm not expecting an all-out commitment, just some people willing to work on this as a hobby, and more importantly, have fun without monetary agendas.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#4 Post by Rinima »

I've sent you a PM.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#5 Post by Fenrir34 »

TheSopht wrote:Thanks Fenrir for your response and helpful suggestions. Also, nice to meet you.

I was hoping to get a more organic process, where everyone could contribute ideas, but I'm open to introducing some of the ideas I had. For instance, I have drawn up a basic idea for a world where (some) plants and insets have evolved to a degree that dominates human beings. Carnivorous plants of varying designs and strengths, large mosquitoes (and etc) that can penetrate skin and bone, along with fairies/nymph-like creatures that can control these plants to a degree. The war between plant and man mainly arises from man's use of technology (and/or magic) without regard for the environment around it. The story will begin with the protagonist losing his home, a small town that gets ravaged (there will be a moment of peace before this happens just to introduce the world a little), and after surviving an attack of plants, he tries to make his way to a nearby city for help. The antagonist will be a man trying to capture the nymphs and fairies to manipulate the plants for his benefits, ironically, this will be the same man that aids the protagonist in the beginning. The theme will basically be the protagonist's anger against nature that is calmed as he goes through various stages of enlightenment, whereas the antagonist continually tries to manipulate the protagonist's anger and hatred for his own benefits and goals.

There are obviously a lot other things involved, and I'm open to collaboration. As this is a long-term project, whoever wants to have some fun and make this with me at their own pace, let me know.

I have tons of ideas, and I might take Fenrir's suggestion and start a mini-project of my own, but I also wanted to work with people, so if anyone is interested, just let me know (you don't have to be a script-writer, programmer, artist, or whatnot, if you want to revise or just give your thoughts, that's fine too).

Also, I will definitely look into the coding, though I disagree that artists do more work than writers (just based on personally having written ~80,000 word novel), but perhaps visual novels are different, we shall see.

In any case, I'm not expecting an all-out commitment, just some people willing to work on this as a hobby, and more importantly, have fun without monetary agendas.
Np and this is a good explanation of what you want to do. Also, it's cool that you're giving people to make this at their own pace. It's hard to do that sometimes.

If you make a smaller project you can have help with that to. I just always think it's good to start out small, so one can have practice :)

It's a 50/50 thing in my opinion when it comes to the workload of artists and writers. I can't draw at all, but I know it's hard for them. Both sides have much to work with, especially if they are making a big game.

Anyway, I wish you luck and look forward to you're project :mrgreen:

DeletedUser160413

#6 Post by DeletedUser160413 »

I don't particularly think it's necessary for someone to start out small just because it's their first project. I think you can be very successful in creating a game if you keep being interested and focused, and it shouldn't be decided on how big or small the project is. Practise... Well, I think you can practise while making a big game too. I personally like to just stick to the project that I have and not start out any new ones while I'm working on it, and I'd like to finish the project before I start working on another idea. Even if it takes a lot of time I think you should just focus on one project and stick to it or else it might be hard for you to focus on finishing it.

I can tell you from experience that you really have to work on it for long hours and days to get somewhere, especially if you're working alone or if it's your project and not a team idea. Also doing things like working on smaller details and trying to reach a better level all the time is a good thing, so you have to accept that it won't always be perfect in the beginning. Most of the time you'll have to be in charge of basically everything, and you'll have to know that no one will be as excited as you are to work on this project, since it's not their own. So you'll have to keep their curiousity somehow and do what you can to get them to help you out. Whether it's money or helping them with their project, most people will want something out of the help you're getting from them aswell :)

Just wanted to share my opinions! :) Good luck with your project and you already know that I've sent you a PM :)

heypetdragon
Regular
Projects: 'Angelsong', 'The Homestead', 'The Seedling Witch' and 'Para!'

#7 Post by heypetdragon »

The plot idea is really interesting! Pokes my soft spot with plants and creatures, sci-fi and fantasy. Well ...I'll go pm you then. XD

ark99k
Regular

#8 Post by ark99k »

The plot sounds so cool! I am going to have to pm you! I apologize for finding this later than other people.

dmasterxd
Regular
Completed: Mage Wars
Projects: Falling Star
Organization: Star Guide

#9 Post by dmasterxd »

I just sent you a PM

Leon296
Completed: just wait....
Projects: title's not finalized yet.
Organization: nah