Differences between actual Python and Ren'Py coding

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Nathan
Regular
Completed: Saving Zoey[2014]

Differences between actual Python and Ren'Py coding

#1 Post by Nathan »

So I'm starting to learn the Python language so I can actually do more manipulations on a Ren'Py code(like adding GUI elements, etc...) and I wanted to know what are the differences, if any?

Like will all the basic functions from Python work on Ren'Py or does Ren'Py needs a specific coding method? I'm pretty clueless on that so any help would be welcome. Thanks and sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Differences between actual Python and Ren'Py coding

#2 Post by SundownKid »

Ren'py does need a specific coding method... I don't think people who learn Python will know Ren'py code that much or vice versa. I think it's possible to insert pure python code in there though.

There's basically 3 types of code in it, Ren'py code (simple, used to make the base game), Screen Language (more complex, used to make the UI) and ATL (simple, used to do animations).

meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

#3 Post by meiri »

Although Python has its similarities, I don't think it can be used in Ren'Py unless you use a python or init python block. If you're also legitimately finding you want to use Python coding in your game, it may be worthwhile to take a look at Pygame and how it can be used with Ren'Py (if it is still supported, I'm not sure.)
Anyway, like SundownKid said, Screen Language (SL) is used to make GUI. Screen language might be complex enough to support what you're trying to do, as well as maybe classes or CDDs (creator defined displayables.)
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

Nathan
Regular

#4 Post by Nathan »

meiri wrote:Although Python has its similarities, I don't think it can be used in Ren'Py unless you use a python or init python block. If you're also legitimately finding you want to use Python coding in your game, it may be worthwhile to take a look at Pygame and how it can be used with Ren'Py (if it is still supported, I'm not sure.)
Anyway, like SundownKid said, Screen Language (SL) is used to make GUI. Screen language might be complex enough to support what you're trying to do, as well as maybe classes or CDDs (creator defined displayables.)
So if I really understand, Ren'Py has it's own coding language? Where do I learn that?

Mithrilda
Regular

#5 Post by Mithrilda »

Nathan wrote:
meiri wrote:Although Python has its similarities, I don't think it can be used in Ren'Py unless you use a python or init python block. If you're also legitimately finding you want to use Python coding in your game, it may be worthwhile to take a look at Pygame and how it can be used with Ren'Py (if it is still supported, I'm not sure.)
So if I really understand, Ren'Py has it's own coding language? Where do I learn that?
Download it and look at the Tutorial that comes with it. Then take a look at the FAQ (http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/FAQ ... _Questions) and the cookbook (http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/cookbook/Cookbook).

Nathan
Regular

#6 Post by Nathan »

Mithrilda wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Download it and look at the Tutorial that comes with it. Then take a look at the FAQ (http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/FAQ ... _Questions) and the cookbook (http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/cookbook/Cookbook).
Thanks a lot! Gonna take some studying but I'll def learn it!

meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

#7 Post by meiri »

I wouldn't suggest looking at the wiki-- it's very very outdated. Rather, when you download Ren'Py, first look at the quickstart in the Ren'Py documentation to understand the basic Ren'Py coding. When you're done with the quickstart, launch the Tutorial in the Ren'Py launcher and go through it. By then you should have a pretty good understanding of Ren'Py but in case you don't, consult the documentation, not the wiki. :)
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#8 Post by nyaatrap »

As far as I'm understanding, Ren'py engine translates ren'py scripts into python scripts and executes them as python. Therefore, You can code all most anything in python instead of in ren'py.
(Even there are some functions which are specified to ren'py,) I think the main difference is efficiency. For example, if you want to move sprites, you have to tackle long time to get a precise result in python. But in ren'py ATL, it's a few minutes work.

Personally, I'm learning ren'py language as a python module.