BxB, or GxG, or both, which should there be more of?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

Re: BxB, or GxG, or both, which should there be more of?

#46 Post by Aviala »

Someone here was asking about experiences on being a queer teenager or something, so here goes.

It's hard to describe my sexual orientation but I can safely say I'm not straight :''D I guess I'd be something like a mixture of a pansexual and a demisexual. I'm also a female and I live in Finland, if that helps to understand my situation.

The thing is, I never really came out, but I guess I'm still kinda out? I'm not sure if I remember right but I think I mentioned to mom at some point that I'm not straight and she was okay with it, but it's really hard to remember because it was nothing special. Idk if my dad knows though. I've never had one of those dramatic coming out scenes. I remember there was a time in 9th grade when I said something about being bisexual to some of my classmates, and they were like "okay, fine", but I'm not sure I can call that coming out. I've never really been discriminated based on my sexual orientation, at least I can't remember anything specific.

When I was younger I really didn't understand much about sexuality. It was pretty strange to me. It kinda shocked me when I heard from my friends that they started having sexual feelings and even masturbating when they were like 10. I was about 17 when I first started feeling any sexual things, and even then they felt kinda strange and distant. Some of my friends thought I was really weird for being like that.
I'm now in a sexual and romantic relationship with a heterosexual male. At first being in a serious relationship was really, really weird, since I didn't have sexual urges or anything like that... And my libido is still really low. And I still don't understand sexual urges and needs very well, though being in a relationship has opened my eyes to many things. Usually for asexuals it really isn't about "finding the right man" but for me... I'm sure being in a sexual relationship made a difference. I guess everyone is different and sexual orientations can be really fluid.

I went to an art school and apparently they're the one place where queer people are more common, or at least more commonly out. I had and still have a very supportive group of friends, most of them either asexual or pan/bisexual women, though there's at least one who's kinda genderfluid. Out of about 10 friends in the group only about 2 are heterosexual, so if somebody tries to tell you that having more than one gay in the same group of friends/adventurers/mecha pilots/whatever is unrealistic, don't believe them. We make a lot of ironic gay jokes about each other and stuff, and everyone is really open-minded. I'm not sure if my other classmates knew about my sexual orientation but I certainly wasn't trying to hide it on purpose. In my current school (university) I casually mentioned about not being straight to some classmates when we were drinking and they were like "okay, fine" and one of them even replied "same, me too".

What can I say? I've lived a life full of safe havens. Not every queer person's life is full of struggles. I guess having a boyfriend is a nice cover, all the old and homophobic people probably assume I'm straight, maybe my dad as well. Sometimes I regret not dating a girl because I feel like it's kinda suffocating to have people assume I'm straight.

I've never really actively participated in any kind of gay community, so I can't really say anything about that. I'd like to go to the gay pride parade next year though!

bellice
Veteran

Re: BxB, or GxG, or both, which should there be more of?

#47 Post by bellice »

Katta wrote:I agree with Hijiri that everyone should make a game they want. And it's only normal that there're less GxG games than BxG/GxB.
But I'm really interested to know what everyone means by queer games for queer audience, how are BxB for women different from BxB for guys (GxG seems more obvious with fanservice and such)? I've read some BxB stories (not VNs, most BxB VNs indeed look to be SM, which seems really weird to me, but that's to some extent similar to 18+ otomes, that tend to be based on rape, that I also don't understand) that were written supposedly by girls and for girls and I've played a small part of Coming Out on Top that's available and this game is promoted like created for gay guys, and I don't really see difference.
There's just as much fanservice in BxB games as in GxG games. I shudder to remember some of the yaoi works I've seen over the years. I guess people would simply prefer to have a more realistic approach to the whole thing. Situations that actually resemble the life of a queer person instead of the life non-queer people imagine us to have.
(Personally, I don't mind either way. I want neither pure fanservice, nor hyper-realism. And I think anyone who cares about the subject can write a good game about queer people. Unrealistic games can be really fun. Sometimes I WANT to read a sappy, corny story about meeting, falling in love an living happily ever after in the space of a week with no real problems apart from 'will they or won't they' and 'how much sex can you fit into two days'.)

Concerning the OP's original question: I'd prefer to have more GxG games. Because that's what I like to play, obviously. In the end, everyone's going to write what they want, though. So to anyone who wants to see more GxG or BxB or BxG or anything at all: DO IT. WRITE IT YOURSELF. WORK YOUR BUTT OFF. That's the only way to have more of the stuff you like. (Not that I'm any better, as a master of leaving things unfinished. But hey, acknowledgment is the first step to recovery.)