Colour/B+W Option

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
clannadman

Colour/B+W Option

#1 Post by clannadman »

Is it possible to add an option at the beginning of a game as to whether the player wants to play in colour or in black and white?

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

Re: Colour/B+W Option

#2 Post by kaleidofish »

I can think of a messy way to do it, like if you set a bw (Black & White) variable to True and did code like "if bw: show bwgirl," but that would require you to have a black & white copy of every image you plan on using, and a lot of messy if statements all over the place. Someone else would be able to tell you if there's a way to have a persistent "grayscale filter" image over everything in the whole game. I'm a little too new to know if something like that exists.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#3 Post by Anna »

May I ask why you would want to add that option? Won't everyone pick 'colour' anyway and won't you just be adding more work for yourself? I don't see the benefit, so I'm curious.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#4 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Anna wrote:May I ask why you would want to add that option? Won't everyone pick 'colour' anyway and won't you just be adding more work for yourself? I don't see the benefit, so I'm curious.
Immediate thought: having the option for the colorblind is amazingly helpful to them.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

clannadman

#5 Post by clannadman »

Anna wrote:May I ask why you would want to add that option? Won't everyone pick 'colour' anyway and won't you just be adding more work for yourself? I don't see the benefit, so I'm curious.
Some people may enjoy playing in black and white, I don't know...

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#6 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I think black and white could look very interesting! (Sadly, I don't know how to help you with that. The only thing I can think of is making 2 versions of the game, lol.)
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Anna »

Tsundere Lightning wrote:
Immediate thought: having the option for the colorblind is amazingly helpful to them.
Haha, could be, but people with colour blindness still see most of the colours or to some degree:

http://i43.tinypic.com/be7vgi.png

And if the game is in b/w, how is that an improvement to them? I guess it looks less weird? No idea what they think of that.

clannadman

#8 Post by clannadman »

Anna wrote:
Tsundere Lightning wrote:
Haha, could be, but people with colour blindness still see most of the colours or to some degree:

http://i43.tinypic.com/be7vgi.png

And if the game is in b/w, how is that an improvement to them? I guess it looks less weird? No idea what they think of that.
Not sure. Although you do hear people saying old films look better in black and white - the contrast is emphasized more.

LeandroP
Regular

#9 Post by LeandroP »

Why don't you make it entirely b/w? Maybe if your game is a thriller/suspense sort of thing, it might actually give it a great touch!
The least important things, sometimes, my dear boy, lead to the greatest discoveries.
Would write your VN for character's sprites.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Anna »

clannadman wrote: Not sure. Although you do hear people saying old films look better in black and white - the contrast is emphasized more.
Well I'm not sure about that, but contrast in movies and desaturating pictures are two different things. If you merely desaturate them they will still have the same contrasts right? Only then in b/w. You could very well colour in such a way that you have more contrast, if that's what you want.

If it actually adds to the mood you want to create, then go with b/w, if it doesn't do anything, then... well it's your choice and you'll have to do the work, but these are some points to think about.

Asterisk
Regular

#11 Post by Asterisk »

Like some people mentioned, the option for bw would be a great touch depending on what mood/genre you're aiming for. As a player, I really could care less about bw option if there is no point. I go for colour always. However if there is a point, go for it and if not, save yourself the trouble with the extra coding.
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.