What is a heartwarming story?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

What is a heartwarming story?

#1 Post by LVUER »

We know what nakige is. An "official" term for crying game that designed/written to have deep emotional impact on readers... mostly sad emotion.

There's also some game that "unofficially" have different label/genre: a heartwarming. Yes, some games deliberately slap "heartwarming" story on their subtitle. My question is: what is exactly this heartwarming story? What makes it different from other similar kind of story that doesn't have heartwarming label on it?

Yu no Hana is one that declares it tells you a heartwarming fairy tale of winter story
Hinatabokko is another VN that promises you to deliver a heartwarming story

I've played several VN that doesn't promise any heartwarming story... but I must say their story is quite similar. And some of them also deliver some story that warms my heart.
Last edited by LVUER on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

SvenTheViking
Regular
Projects: Chronicles of the Timetraveler's Wars
Organization: ProgMan Productions; Polymorphic Games

Re: What is a heartwarming story?

#2 Post by SvenTheViking »

As far as I can tell, it's an advertising buzzword. As you said, it's a label. I might be wrong, though.
"Be not afraid of greatness: some men are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
William Shakespeare, "Twelfth Night"

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#3 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Yeah, I don't think it's a technical term. It's just used by some people to help describe the emotional content of a story. It's like some games advertise as scary or adventerous or heart breaking. No-one is forced label exactly what they game is (plus it's rather subjective) so it's mostly for hype and advertising reasons.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#4 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

It's used as a subjective description, but to my understanding, a story is heartwarming if it makes you go "awwww" and feel good after playing it. It's kind of a cute, feelgood story. Heartwarming things generally make depressed people feel good.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#5 Post by Sapphi »

Well, any story can have heartwarming moments, but I'd say a heartwarming story is one where the main purpose is to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. They are often studies on friendship. I think it is related to the concept of nakige weirdly enough... because usually to invoke a happy feeling in your reader, it's necessary to acknowledge their sadness by making the story's characters suffer before giving them their happy ending.

Example: Puppies are heartwarming, but how to make a story out of the puppy?
1. 10-year old Jimmy befriends an adorable puppy. Pretty heartwarming, right? But wait... what if...
2. Jimmy, an abused 10-year old with no human friends, befriends an adorable puppy with a bum leg that someone tried to drown in the river. For extra heartwarming points, throw in a special place and time for them to bond (ex. The big hill after school). "We'll meet here every night, okay?! It's a promise!" Then follows their happy adventures.

Now that we've suitably warmed the hearts of the audience, we get to break their heart again: Jimmy gets taken away from his abusive parent and placed in a town far away. He never gets to say goodbye to his puppy friend. We watch him grow up trying to replace the puppy with various people who are not nearly as loyal.

The heartwarming conclusion: As a young man, Jim revisits his old town, wanders around reminiscing. He comes to the hill. It's late afternoon and the sun is all gold. He remembers how he used to play with his friend. Suddenly... he sees something in the distance... hobbling very slowly but steadily towards him... it's his puppy, now a dog, very old and thin, but still it remembers him. They play like they always did.

(And because it is a dog story, we could follow the "stories about dogs" principle and say something like "He flopped down as the last rays of sunlight fell over the grass, utterly exhausted, panting happily. He never got up again." Cue a shower of tears from anyone with a soul (okay, maybe just me) but will be happy, satisfied tears.)

By the way... It happens that this thread is very relevant to the super secret project I'm working on... :mrgreen:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

This is a heartwarming story:

No, really. This faux trailer includes all elements of a heartwarming story.

Young kids. People helping each other out. Positive message about family. Internal conflict within a character solved by other character helpning him overcome it... or even two characters who are able to give each other what the other one is missing inside.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

#7 Post by sciencewarrior »

This question stayed in the back of my head for a few weeks, and I think I have a good answer now. A heartwarming story is a story with:
  • Characters with whom the audience can empathize.
  • A conflict that deeply affects these characters and, by extension, the audience that is emotionally connected to them.
  • A conflict resolution that meshes with the audience's moral values.
Let me give you an example of a story that isn't heartwarming: Jack falls in love with a girl, but he is very rich, she is very poor, and his mom says she will disinherit him if he marries the girl. So he pays off a doctor to declare his mom insane, lock her up in a medical institution, and he and his wife live happy ever after.

Why isn't it heartwarming? We may empathize with Jack, and share his conflict, but the resolution, while perhaps realistic, isn't something with which we can agree. Sending your mom to the loony bin to keep her money isn't something you would do.

Now let's make it heartwarming: Jack tells mom to keep her money, he will marry the girl of his dreams. Life is hard at first, but they manage to pay the bills. Years later, Jack's mom loses her fortune and she has a heart attack. Jack takes her home, and the daughter-in-law she had never accepted takes care of her.

See? Here Jack and his girl make the Right Thing: they choose love over money, work hard, and are ready to forgive and take in his mother when she needs it. Done right, this simple story can make people cry rivers (done wrong, it will be corny, boring, and preachy, but we aren't going there).
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.