Asking about age ratings...?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

Asking about age ratings...?

#1 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I'm not very familiar with age ratings so before I go and post my wip, I just thought I'd ask about the age rating for now.

Um, if the vn contains a great amount of swearing, should i rate it 15+ or doesn't matter. My heroine happens to be quite a bad-mouthed one(or rather, I wrote her as a bad mouthed one) and now I'm confused on how the hell am I suppose to shove it to the net now. If cursing is involve, what is the normal age rating for it?(or does it even need a rating? In here, I can hear kids cursing even to elders just fine but I'm not making a japanese game but an english one so I need advice from them :'D )
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

Re: Asking about age ratings...?

#2 Post by Anna »

Age ratings are seriously all over the place, depending on what system you use. Whatever you may use, just be sure to put behind the age-rating why you're giving it that. So, something like:

16+: swearing, suggested adult themes, etc.

One of my characters had that swearing problem too, but I rated it 12+. Some games did that too, yet some others I've seen immediately use 16+ just because of swearing, so... *shrug*.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#3 Post by Greeny »

I don't think people care that much.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#4 Post by kaleidofish »

Greeny wrote:I don't think people care that much.
For anyone that would care, put a warning in the thread about it if you feel the swearing is extreme enough, as Anna suggested. I personally wouldn't care very much. 5th grade (10 years old) was when everyone stopped freaking out over cursing - prior to that, everyone would run and tell the teacher. So yeah, even in America, kids as young as 10 are cursing (not in front of "grown ups" though).
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#5 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I asked something similar a while back, and it seems that content warnings are more important and relevant, since age ratings can vary so much.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=13412
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#6 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Warn for specific content; don't provide an age rating if you can get away with it. The single exception to this is explicit sexual content, which by California law (at least) cannot be sold to anyone under the age of 18. There is literally no other exception to this which I would put a hard age minimum on.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

#7 Post by saguaro »

You probably don't need to rate/warn unless you're dropping s- and f-bombs.