Game Sizes, how big or small do you have your Game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Midi
Regular
Projects: Limerick Castle

Game Sizes, how big or small do you have your Game?

#1 Post by Midi »

Well, just a thought. Since the default Ren'Py size seems too small for my own tastes. (800x600, I think)

What size do you set your games at?

MysteriousArtistX
Regular
Projects: A Lifelong Work I'll Eventually Share
Organization: Because Arrrt?

Re: Game Sizes, how big or small do you have your Game?

#2 Post by MysteriousArtistX »

I personally prefer a wider screen but wasn't too much of a fan of it being tall [786 is a bit awkward in window mode :/].

So my choice res is 1024 x 600 since it fits well, graphics come out pretty crisp, and sprites have breathing space if that makes any sense :lol:
"I Believe Everyone Should Have A Game They Can Relate To: That games are an art and no one should be excluded. My games will do this."

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#3 Post by Hijiri »

I vairy. For Death Rule: lost code I have the resolution at 1024x600 and for Aeternam Conquest: Dual-Chain Rhapsody I have it set to 1280x720 with the ability to go down to 1024x576
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

Mine is a commercial game, at 1920x1080 and resizable to 1280x720. I really think it would be uncommon for screen resolution to drop below that these days, unless your laptop is really, really small. Plus, windowed is distracting for me. Any negatives to having it in HD?

Midi
Regular

#5 Post by Midi »

I'm asking cause I'm just fighting with custom texbox, and the quality just seems bad once I add it in and such...like It's stretched or something.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#6 Post by dramspringfeald »

your best bet is to stick with the 16:10, the 16:9 or the 4:3 ratios with 4:3 and 16:9 being the most common around the world.
I tend to use 1280x720 (16:9 ratio)

Wide screen ratio
hope this helps.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

izumichan31

#7 Post by izumichan31 »

1024x768 is my max monitor size at the moment. So anything above that I can't really play unless I play full screen which I don't like to play in... And I know a lot of games still can be configured for 800 x 600 which I set by default for most of my online games I play even if I'm on a different computer with higher screen sizes so I can move around the screen and do other things while I play... I like to multitask...

So yeah... I tend to play at 800 x 600 or 1024x768 at most... and widescreen games tend to frustrate me to no end for some reason... I'm not sure why...
Current Project
Moonswept Deceit [BxB]

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#8 Post by mugenjohncel »

Me... I'm reverting back to 800x600 for my next projects... The Fucking Question V2.0 taught me really valuable lesson that not everyone has PC that can run 1280x720... not to mention the bloated file size which is why I'm still pretty much reluctant to attention-whore myself and my project despite being complete until I managed to reduce file size to about less than 100MB... who needs large crisp HD graphics when Ren'py can scale up the project for you quite nicely (with some quality loss of course) while preserving the aspect ratio...

"POOF" (Disappears)

Carassaurat
Veteran

#9 Post by Carassaurat »

One thing that I don't remember seeing mentioned in any resolution thread but that may be significant is that a smaller window makes it easier to see everything at a glance. I notice a bit of a tendency from myself to not actually pay enough attention to the art of a game and just concentrate on the text at the bottom. Having the text and characters cosily occupy a mere 800x600 will sooner allow sprite changes to catch your attention.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

@mugenjohncel:
Can't you make two version? One for HD and the other for SD?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#11 Post by OokamiKasumi »

-- I have a 1024x768 monitor, and I'm selfish, so I make games that suit what I can play comfortably.
mugenjohncel wrote:Me... I'm reverting back to 800x600 for my next projects... The Fucking Question V2.0 taught me really valuable lesson that not everyone has PC that can run 1280x720...
1280x720 is way too big for my 1024x768 monitor to deal with.
mugenjohncel wrote:...not to mention the bloated file size which is why I'm still pretty much reluctant to attention-whore myself and my project despite being complete until I managed to reduce file size to about less than 100MB... who needs large crisp HD graphics when Ren'py can scale up the project for you quite nicely (with some quality loss of course) while preserving the aspect ratio...
Exactly!
-- I'm already having a major problem with bloated file-size and my games are only 1024x768.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Midi
Regular

#12 Post by Midi »

My game is...1000 x 800

Which is weird for fullscreen I think, but I think most players don't play full screen.

AxemRed
Veteran

#13 Post by AxemRed »

OokamiKasumi wrote:I'm already having a major problem with bloated file-size and my games are only 1024x768.
Stop using PNG images then -- use JPG/JCC.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#14 Post by OokamiKasumi »

AxemRed wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:I'm already having a major problem with bloated file-size and my games are only 1024x768.
Stop using PNG images then -- use JPG/JCC.
Do JCC allow Transparency? JPGs don't.
-- What doesn't have a transparent background are JPGs. I use PNGs strictly for images that need transparent backgrounds. The problem is, I use a LOT of images. My last game, The Visitor was almost entirely made up of JPGs with only the GUI being PNGs, and it's 300 MBs in size -- Zipped!
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Ziassan
Veteran

#15 Post by Ziassan »

The use of JPG/JCC actually allow transparency while having smaller file size.

As for the subject, I really prefer when it's wider than 800x600, even with my very cheap laptop I never met any freez with big sizes Ren'py games, it stranges that just having pictures slighty bigger can change that much the way a game works.
Midi wrote:... but I think most players don't play full screen.
Eh, I think most player do play fullscreen, it's a matter of immersion, when reading a story it's important (otherwise it'd be like watching a movie on the PC in a small windows).