NaNoRenO - Make a Ren'ai Game in 1 Month!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

NaNoRenO - Make a Ren'ai Game in 1 Month!

#1 Post by rioka »

This crazy idea popped into my head while reading through mikey's Kaori thread. Modeled after the idea of NaNoWrimo (write a 50,000 word novel in 1 month) and NaNoMangO (make a 30 page comic in 1 month), I figure a one month-made ren'ai game is plausible if you stick to the basic newbie rules such as:
-stick to a short story
-if you can't draw backgrounds, use photos
-if you can't program, use an available ren'ai engine
-if you can't make your own music, ask to use another's for your game
-plus you can also do some cuts like keeping artwork black & white or have no music at all.

Anyone would like to participate?

Grey
Veteran

#2 Post by Grey »

Dunno how good it would be, or anything, but I guess I wouldn't mind giving it a shot if other people do.

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#3 Post by Sai »

I'm tempted, but I have a lot of work right now.... I'll just say 'maybe' o.o
Depends on the deadline and how I go...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

and NaNoMangO (make a 30 page comic in 1 month)
Random idle thought that happens about halfway through a marathon of Uninhabited Planet Survive: If you schedule a 24 hour comics day at the start of NaNoMangO, then you have 29 days to finish the remaining 6 pages. :-)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#5 Post by rioka »

I'm in. As for when, we can all decide on a month when everyone will not be as busy. My time should free up by early next year... so maybe February and on. How about everyone else?
PyTom wrote:Random idle thought that happens about halfway through a marathon of Uninhabited Planet Survive: If you schedule a 24 hour comics day at the start of NaNoMangO, then you have 29 days to finish the remaining 6 pages. :-)
Omg, you're right PyTom! XD lol

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#6 Post by Sai »

I've no idea when I'll be free... Even though Christmas is coming even then I will still have projects >_< But somewhere near late January/February could be a possibility depending on how the gap between my projects that might happen at that point pans out o.o I might plan etc. before that though when I get time... But if so I'd just detract those days from 'the month'. I dunno. Depends if I have time ^^

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

I have to say I was toying with an idea like this, intended for the anime convention in Bratislava - I'd get some people from the crowd and using RenPy and a digital camera plus scanner, paper and pencils and a computer with Photoshop we'd have until the end of the convention to create a game.

As for me, well... I will have to see, because I want to *gulp* work on my next project and I have already given up on everything else to focus on it, so...

Perhaps you could outline the rules more specifically, like:
- the story must have max 6 paths
- maximum of 3 choices
- max 3 characters
That sort of thing. Though you might disagree that that will box in your creative freedom, I think it gives you boundaries and you won't be tempted to "add another scene" or similar, which would lengthen the process.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#8 Post by rioka »

mikey wrote:I have to say I was toying with an idea like this, intended for the anime convention in Bratislava - I'd get some people from the crowd and using RenPy and a digital camera plus scanner, paper and pencils and a computer with Photoshop we'd have until the end of the convention to create a game.
Nice idea. If you ever go through with it, I'd definitely like to see the results.

Join us mikey, join us! You usually finish your games in a couple of months and it looks like you started another one already so you should be done by early next year, right? ;D

Considering a one month time limit, anyone entering would have to limit their project scope right off the bat. We could use your rules as a guideline but I'd personally like to leave the actual project limit to each individual person. Btw, does the three character max rule you mentioned include the player?

yuki_no_yousei

#9 Post by yuki_no_yousei »

I'll be watching this with much intrest!!! (I would have joined, but I seeing as I'm working on my first project...I doubt I could be finished during the timeline ^^;;; ) Still, I'm cheering for all of you guys! :)
Updates for all current projects, plus my journal can be found here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/yuki_no_yousei/

Grey
Veteran

#10 Post by Grey »

mikey wrote:Perhaps you could outline the rules more specifically, like:
- the story must have max 6 paths
- maximum of 3 choices
You've gotta remember though that not everyone works the same way though. These two rules may only apply to your way of working.

i.e. For me a game with max 3 choices sounds more like telling a story than playing a game. Ditto with paths, my one game Kasuka didn't even have them as such.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#11 Post by PyTom »

I personally think that there's very little need to give maximums for the various parameters of the game, as the time limits (be it a day or a month) will almost by default limit the scope of the game.

I think it may make sense to provide some minimums (for example, having two endings) to ensure that we get games rather than linear stories, but even there I think I'd rather leave it up to the game creators.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#12 Post by chronoluminaire »

Brilliant idea. I agree with Py'Tom, though: the only restrictions should be minimums except for the time limit. That should be enough of a creative spur. For example, the idea I've been tossing around for a while for a ren'ai game / visual novel really doesn't have a concept of paths, because there's a huge amount of different *orders* that the text could be read in! :) I suggest rules something like this:

* You mustn't start the work before the month starts (parallel with NaNoWriMo)
* It must be a ren'ai game that you create: i.e. a computer game or piece of interactive fiction, themed around romance or ren'ai
* It must have at least two endings

I also agree let's leave it till after Christmas :? February would be fine; March would overlap with NaNoEdMo, which is fine unless anyone wants to do both.

RedSlash
Veteran

#13 Post by RedSlash »

I'll spectate as well.

chrono's correct. There shouldn't be a limit rather minimum guidelines. But how would you regulate that people going to start after the month has begun? I guess if it's limited to poeple on this board I'm sure no one's going cheat.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#14 Post by mikey »

I suggested the limit, because people tend to plan big. But I also agree on a reasonable minimum - two endings for instance.

RedSlash said it - you still can't control the start time. Though I think people here would not cheat, still, it would be hard to classify if for example you'd have an idea in February and you would already think up the plot and all - and in March when the contest would start you'd just work with it. Would "imagining" the game count as planning ahead?

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#15 Post by rioka »

I don't think imagining about it would classify as starting it. Starting it would be if you put it on paper (or computer) which makes it concrete in a tangible way. Just like actions - you may want to do something but until you act on it, it doesn't count.