Visual Novel Cameo Circle?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

Visual Novel Cameo Circle?

#1 Post by Rosstin »

I'm curious if any VN creators might be interested in having their characters make little cameos in Queen At Arms! The big indies do this a lot, and I think it might create some nice community unity to try it ourselves.

I know this can be tricky for a number of reasons, but I'd like to give it a shot! We have very talented writers and artists on our team, so I think we could make some cute references and have it work. :-) And a lot of us have fantasy VNs, so it wouldn't be too big of a long shot.

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

Re: Visual Novel Cameo Circle?

#2 Post by Rossfellow »

ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

kitsubasa
Regular
Projects: Inverness Nights
Tumblr: kitsubasa

#3 Post by kitsubasa »

So, to clarify, the idea is that we'd put each others characters in each of our games (if we can fit them) and have cameos that carry across a bunch of different projects? Assuming I'm interpreting it right, I think that'd be a really cute idea! A couple of other questions to clarify what you're meaning...

1. Would you be wanting characters from both WIP and completed games to be nominated, or just characters from completed games?

2. Are characters supposed to be nominated by their creators?

3. Would this be a reciprocal thing, where creators who nominate characters try to put other creators' characters into their own games in return? (I for one think it would be interesting if we were all using the characters for small cameos, if possible)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4 Post by Mad Harlequin »

kitsubasa wrote:2. Are characters supposed to be nominated by their creators?
I can't really give definite answers since this isn't my idea, but I think it would streamline the process to have creators grant permission for their characters to be used rather than have nominees proposed by non-creators.

Regarding the first question, it would probably be best to include characters from complete works only, though---at least in my opinion. Then there's no chance of a WIP becoming vaporware, and players interested in a cameo character can easily jump into another VN should they choose.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#5 Post by ludeshka »

*raises hand awkwardly*

I'd give you permission to include a cameo from anybody in Hierofanía. I think it'd be great. (Also, your artist is really cool, and I'd drool at the chance to see a character of mine in that style. :P)

...In case I wasn't supposed to selfishly nominate my own game then Fantasia! Fantasia and Winter Shard! And Days of the Divine, maybe? :)

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#6 Post by Caveat Lector »

Rather than a specific character, maybe you could include a brief reference to a group of people having a club called "Rainbow Love"?
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

SilverHyena
Veteran
Completed: Sacred Sand (BxB), Mira's Magical Mishap (GxG), Ben and the Devil, Cute Demon Crashers (GxB/G) (18+), Heirs and Graces (BxB), My Magical Divorce Bureau (AllxAll), Essence Hunt (BxB)
Deviantart: http://silverhyena.d
itch: https://silverhyena.

#7 Post by SilverHyena »

I think this sounds like a fun idea! You have my full permission to use any of my characters from either of my games (links in the signature) if they are a good fit! If not, that's cool too. Either way, I'm looking forward to playing the game when it comes out!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

I'd like to pitch Gunther from "The Loyal Kinsman" into this game. His story happens a little earlier in history than yours, but he's modern enough to fit into it.

Gunther's a twelve-year-old medieval page who, in his original story, solves a murder mystery happening on his home castle. He could appear - in exaggerated form - as a manservant/boy detective type character.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Vin Howard
Regular
Projects: A Digital Ghost Story
IRC Nick: Vin_Howard

#9 Post by Vin Howard »

Too bad this would require having your game actually finished >_>

(First game, the artist is having trouble with her device; second game, I only started writing up a week ago)

Mirrowdothack
Regular
Completed: The Iron Heart Witch
Projects: Y;N, Crime•Scene

#10 Post by Mirrowdothack »

This sounds like a fun idea ♥*I love it^^V
Thank you Rossfellow for nominating my charas, I am really happy you like them so much ♥ (totally happy and full of joy)
It would be pretty cool to see one of them in this vn or to have a reference to my story/stories. So, if it fits your story, you have my permission to use my charas in this vn ^^ It would be pretty interesting to see them in your style, too.♥

Please let me know if you need any information about them (and which one you would like to use ^^ => because I'm curiouse^^)
One minor character from Y;N, called Anna, is an OC of a friend of mine, which I need to ask first, in case you would like to use her, but the others are no problem.
(btw. Y;N and The Iron Heart Witch might be in beta-state but there are completed games. I'm just waiting for my original ost to replace the current music^^)

----------

Whether or not you'd like to use one of my charas or not, it would be great if you could credit the character's creator and their game in you credits. Just because it would be pretty interessting to know which ones you have chosen in the end^^

OMG ...... I just totally love this idea so much ♥
My games:
Image Image

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#11 Post by Morhighan »

In my project, AIdol I have the character run into a pair of lolita and a pair of cosplayers at the convention. I think it'd be fun for those characters to be dressed up like characters from other VNs here. Let me know if you'd be interested! The four characters are:
-Hotaru - Cutely dressed female lolita with a gloomy attitude.
-Sadako - Darkly dressed female lolita with a cutesy attitude.
-Makoto - Easily excited, young female cosplayer whose cosplay experience has to be just right, or things get ugly.
-Yasuda - Male cosplayer who really puts his all into dressing up as his favorite female characters.

Here's the project's topic:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=26610

storykween
Regular
Completed: Serafina's Saga, Quantum Conscience, Echoes of the Fey, miraclr - Divine Dating Sim
Organization: Woodsy Studio

#12 Post by storykween »

What a cool idea! Let me know if you'd like to use any of my characters from Serafina's Saga; seems like some of them would fit in with the Queen at Arms world. Maybe Nikolaos. We can talk about it more if you'd like :D
My website: woodsy-studio.com

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#13 Post by Vatina »

Sounds like fun, I wouldn't mind talking about having Blue Rose characters in Queen At Arms :)